Darn landlords

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fedupwithcablevision590

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2007
Maybe I failed to mention but I am in upstairs apartment in a house, and I was gonna put the dish just outside my window. Well landlord won't permit it, and I dont have balcony. Now I could fight him on it, but the downstairs tenant tried to get direct TV and he took her to court over it.
Thing is my window faces south, is there any way a dish would work from INSIDE the apt? I'm just glad I didn't get any equip yet!
He even made a stink when cable came and had to drill one hole when I moved in. Oy vey!
If I had the money or time I'd get a lawyer but why bother?
I guess this is a hobby only for ppl who own their own home.:(
Just imagine if I put a C Band dish up he'd have a fit!:eek:

Print out OTARD, give him a copy of it. Ask him if he'll let you put up a dish somewhere else, such as in the yard. If he still doesn't budge, try to find another place to move to... if no go, find yourself a lawyer, figure out what you legally can do as far as the installation goes, making sure your lawyer goes over your lease with you... if lease says nothing about it, see what lawyer says. I don't know if OTARD or a lease would take presedence as a lease is a legally binding agreement between you and the landlord.

If there's nothing in the lease about it, like about putting holes in walls, etc. then you should be ok legally... but I'm no lawyer.

I'd think if he were smart he'd read OTARD, realize it's a federal law, and let you do something like put a dish up in the yard. Also, please give a copy of OTARD to the other guy he's suing since it's possible (not likely, but is possible?) that that other guy's lawyer doesn't know jack and hasn't read the OTARD...?

I'd be moving.

Me too.. Before I bought my own house and I was living in apartments, I always made sure that I had a south-facing balcony and that the landlord had no problems with a dish on the balcony. I had a 36" Ku dish back in the 1990s that I used to watch the analog signals from the Anik Birds because they were the strongest in my area. I always kept the dish hidden from sight so that people on the ground could not see it. I couldn't imagine being told that I couldn't have a dish.

I am not moving over this! It was hard enough for me to find a decent place on LI. Sorry having a dish aint THAT important to me. I'll survive.

We are going to look at some property this Saturday with the idea of buying and building. The realator said that the only coventence is no trailers. We are going to get that in writing and there will be NO mention of the beautiful 8ft spun aluminum dish that's going to be installed after everything is finalized.

If you had ever been exposed to this great hobby and knew what you were missing, you would not give up so easy.

Depending on the type of window you have, you could probably fabricate something to mount on the window ledge (temporary style mounting), and use flat cables to bring the signal inside. This should work. Otherwise, mounting the dish inside gets tough with anything except for old single-pane windows due to the special coatings for thermal resistance in most new windows.

Well,, as I recall, you only wanted 119º circular for the music.
Since that is the case, your problem is simplified.
It's not like you were gooing to put in a 36" dish, nor a motor! :eek:

Search the 'net for others who have mounted their dishes inside
I've seen some pix of people mounting one to a counter top, so they'd have a suitable window to look out.
(probably a fellow apartment-dweller)

The DBS signals are very strong, and I would certainly give it a try.
See how it works with the window open, to acquire the signal.
Then, close the window and see what that does the the signal.

I've read where people replaced the offending window pane with a Plexiglass sheet.
Whether that is useful or an old wive's tale, I don't know, but do some research.

Take pictures and report back here on the forum.
Giving up now is to accept defeat, and that's a bit premature.

Depending on the type of window you have, you could probably fabricate something to mount on the window ledge (temporary style mounting), and use flat cables to bring the signal inside. This should work. Otherwise, mounting the dish inside gets tough with anything except for old single-pane windows due to the special coatings for thermal resistance in most new windows.

These are old windows, at least from the 1950s! The house is actually 90 years old! Would he be able to stop me from mounting something on the window ledge? If the law is on my side I am willing to go through with it.

OK you wanted pictures so here ya go. The window... (25 inches across)
window.jpg

Unfortunately there's no flat surface on the other side of it.

We are going to look at some property this Saturday with the idea of buying and building. The realator said that the only coventence is no trailers. We are going to get that in writing and there will be NO mention of the beautiful 8ft spun aluminum dish that's going to be installed after everything is finalized.

If you had ever been exposed to this great hobby and knew what you were missing, you would not give up so easy.

I know, but I really was just gonna get it for the music. I read FCC rules that allow folks with balconies to put up dishes but nothing otherwise. I don't have a balcony, patio, or any space outside my apt.
Personally I think the FCC Rules are a joke, the LL shouldn't prohibit you from getting satellite TV in any fashion no matter what. But because of the corporate weight of cable companies, they have almost free reign on apartment dwellers.
Hey, I could put it up anyway. But then I could wind up in court, or kicked out. Don't want to deal with that.
Bottom line is the law should be TENANT HAS RIGHT TO PUT SATELLITE DISH ANYWHERE AS LONG AS IT IS NOT A SAFETY HAZARD. :eureka

One of the problems is appearance. People think that dishes detract from appearance. However, A/C units don't seem to fall into the same class. You can sometimes install a window A/C unit where you can't do anything else. Look at the outside of the building and see if there are any units jutting out. In theory they should not be allowed either since they are not mounted on private tenant property, but intrude into the common property. If these units are accepted, see if the LL will allow you to design a dish enclosure that looks like an A/C unit.

I know this probably isn't what you wanna hear... but if music is all you are after, have you looked in to internet radio? Lots of options are out there.

I really don't see the problem with some people and dishes that are not allowed to be installed.

What is wrong with society today? what is so damn annoying with a dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts