Dates For ESPN-HD & TNT HD on VOOM? (1 Viewer)

briani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Any official word on ESPN-HD and TNT HD and any other new HD programming
for VOOM subscribers? I've heard TNT launches in may.....is a contract signed?

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2003
New York
Great question. Don't ask customer service this question, I am sure you will get an answer that is completely inaccurate.

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2004
There are no dates available.

VOOM has said that when dates are announced, there will be a press release on their web site. Negotiations are almost always confidential (per a signed agreement) and programming contracts usually dictate when the provider can make an announcement. I doubt they could tell us, even if they wanted to.

mtuller

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 26, 2004
I did notice that the FAQ on Voom's website for when they will be getting ESPNHD no longer seems to be there. Read into it what you will.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
From what I know ESPN will be up soon and it will consist of 5 ESPN Channles including ESPN-HD + ESPN ESPN2 ESPN Classic and something called ESPN Now or ESPN Esportes?

Guess we will see soon. :)

ComcastOgre

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2004
Saint Marys, Ohio
I don't know why they would carry either of those. ESPN Deportes is probably the one you are thinking of, and that's a Spanish ESPN basically. ESPN Now is just a promo channel for all of the ESPN PPV sports packages like ESPN Full Court.

squicken

Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
Does anyone know why Voom carries 2 channels of the EXACT same thing? ESPNHD and ESPN SD? HBOHD & HBO SD? etc.?

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
It's silly to carry duplicates with an HD service, but it's probably a requirement of the provider. A pure waste of bandwidth, IMHO.

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
Yes. For several reasons. First, ESPN-HD and ESPN-SD do NOT always carry the same programming. Second, these HD channels are sold as packages. You can't BUY HBO-HD without buying the SD version. It's contract stuff. And third, when I'm watching my SD TV I prefer to watch the SD programming channel, so it isn't letterboxed.

squicken

Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
OK, maybe ESPN HD&SD are a little different. But as far as HBO, CINEMAX, Showtime, I think it's a waste of bandwidth. Why would HBO force Voom to carry them? I understand the SD TV argument madpoet, but I don't think it effects enough people to merit the duplication. Voom will eventually run into bandwidth problems, and then dragging around 6-7 duplicated channels will seem wasteful to most.

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
Contracts. It's an all or nothing deal. And yes, it does affect quite a few people. How many of us have multiple HD TVs?

DarrellP

Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
With Voom, multiple HD sets are not necessary since all the outputs are hot. I have a Voom box on my 27" TV and enjoy crystal clear pictures on the HD channels.

squicken

Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
I run composite cables to my Tivo to record, and the HD channels look swell.

DarrellP

Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
I hear ya, I record on my DVHS deck via S-Video and the playback via component is as good as a DVD, totally devoid of any artifacts or tape noise.

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
Right, I do the same with my Replays. I just prefer the non-letterboxed SD versions of some channels on my SD tv.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
mtuller said:
I did notice that the FAQ on Voom's website for when they will be getting ESPNHD no longer seems to be there. Read into it what you will.
It was there 2 days ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts