Dates For ESPN-HD & TNT HD on VOOM?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

briani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Any official word on ESPN-HD and TNT HD and any other new HD programming
for VOOM subscribers? I've heard TNT launches in may.....is a contract signed?

Great question. Don't ask customer service this question, I am sure you will get an answer that is completely inaccurate.

There are no dates available.

VOOM has said that when dates are announced, there will be a press release on their web site. Negotiations are almost always confidential (per a signed agreement) and programming contracts usually dictate when the provider can make an announcement. I doubt they could tell us, even if they wanted to.

I did notice that the FAQ on Voom's website for when they will be getting ESPNHD no longer seems to be there. Read into it what you will.

From what I know ESPN will be up soon and it will consist of 5 ESPN Channles including ESPN-HD + ESPN ESPN2 ESPN Classic and something called ESPN Now or ESPN Esportes?

Guess we will see soon. :)

I don't know why they would carry either of those. ESPN Deportes is probably the one you are thinking of, and that's a Spanish ESPN basically. ESPN Now is just a promo channel for all of the ESPN PPV sports packages like ESPN Full Court.

Does anyone know why Voom carries 2 channels of the EXACT same thing? ESPNHD and ESPN SD? HBOHD & HBO SD? etc.?

It's silly to carry duplicates with an HD service, but it's probably a requirement of the provider. A pure waste of bandwidth, IMHO.

Yes. For several reasons. First, ESPN-HD and ESPN-SD do NOT always carry the same programming. Second, these HD channels are sold as packages. You can't BUY HBO-HD without buying the SD version. It's contract stuff. And third, when I'm watching my SD TV I prefer to watch the SD programming channel, so it isn't letterboxed.

OK, maybe ESPN HD&SD are a little different. But as far as HBO, CINEMAX, Showtime, I think it's a waste of bandwidth. Why would HBO force Voom to carry them? I understand the SD TV argument madpoet, but I don't think it effects enough people to merit the duplication. Voom will eventually run into bandwidth problems, and then dragging around 6-7 duplicated channels will seem wasteful to most.

Contracts. It's an all or nothing deal. And yes, it does affect quite a few people. How many of us have multiple HD TVs?

With Voom, multiple HD sets are not necessary since all the outputs are hot. I have a Voom box on my 27" TV and enjoy crystal clear pictures on the HD channels.

I run composite cables to my Tivo to record, and the HD channels look swell.

I hear ya, I record on my DVHS deck via S-Video and the playback via component is as good as a DVD, totally devoid of any artifacts or tape noise.

Right, I do the same with my Replays. I just prefer the non-letterboxed SD versions of some channels on my SD tv.

mtuller said:
I did notice that the FAQ on Voom's website for when they will be getting ESPNHD no longer seems to be there. Read into it what you will.
It was there 2 days ago!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts