Dates For ESPN-HD & TNT HD on VOOM?

briani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Any official word on ESPN-HD and TNT HD and any other new HD programming
for VOOM subscribers? I've heard TNT launches in may.....is a contract signed?

Great question. Don't ask customer service this question, I am sure you will get an answer that is completely inaccurate.

There are no dates available.

VOOM has said that when dates are announced, there will be a press release on their web site. Negotiations are almost always confidential (per a signed agreement) and programming contracts usually dictate when the provider can make an announcement. I doubt they could tell us, even if they wanted to.

I did notice that the FAQ on Voom's website for when they will be getting ESPNHD no longer seems to be there. Read into it what you will.

From what I know ESPN will be up soon and it will consist of 5 ESPN Channles including ESPN-HD + ESPN ESPN2 ESPN Classic and something called ESPN Now or ESPN Esportes?

Guess we will see soon. :)

I don't know why they would carry either of those. ESPN Deportes is probably the one you are thinking of, and that's a Spanish ESPN basically. ESPN Now is just a promo channel for all of the ESPN PPV sports packages like ESPN Full Court.

Does anyone know why Voom carries 2 channels of the EXACT same thing? ESPNHD and ESPN SD? HBOHD & HBO SD? etc.?

It's silly to carry duplicates with an HD service, but it's probably a requirement of the provider. A pure waste of bandwidth, IMHO.

Yes. For several reasons. First, ESPN-HD and ESPN-SD do NOT always carry the same programming. Second, these HD channels are sold as packages. You can't BUY HBO-HD without buying the SD version. It's contract stuff. And third, when I'm watching my SD TV I prefer to watch the SD programming channel, so it isn't letterboxed.

OK, maybe ESPN HD&SD are a little different. But as far as HBO, CINEMAX, Showtime, I think it's a waste of bandwidth. Why would HBO force Voom to carry them? I understand the SD TV argument madpoet, but I don't think it effects enough people to merit the duplication. Voom will eventually run into bandwidth problems, and then dragging around 6-7 duplicated channels will seem wasteful to most.

Contracts. It's an all or nothing deal. And yes, it does affect quite a few people. How many of us have multiple HD TVs?

With Voom, multiple HD sets are not necessary since all the outputs are hot. I have a Voom box on my 27" TV and enjoy crystal clear pictures on the HD channels.

I run composite cables to my Tivo to record, and the HD channels look swell.

I hear ya, I record on my DVHS deck via S-Video and the playback via component is as good as a DVD, totally devoid of any artifacts or tape noise.

Right, I do the same with my Replays. I just prefer the non-letterboxed SD versions of some channels on my SD tv.

mtuller said:
I did notice that the FAQ on Voom's website for when they will be getting ESPNHD no longer seems to be there. Read into it what you will.
It was there 2 days ago!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)