Davenport Iowa HD Locals?

LOL ... my luck having a location between two beams. Too bad I think D* stinks because they have one dish and have had HD locals for almost two years.

i am a retailer for both dish, and directv... your are incorrect on the directv statement.. they do have hd locals, but it hasnt even been a year..

it has become clear you would complain, even if they tried to hang you with a brand new rope.. go get directv.. - they have probably never charged someone for a upgrade.. lol

jasper

i am a retailer for both dish, and directv... your are incorrect on the directv statement.. they do have hd locals, but it hasnt even been a year..

it has become clear you would complain, even if they tried to hang you with a brand new rope.. go get directv.. - they have probably never charged someone for a upgrade.. lol

jasper

Okay Jasper ... whatever you say! You obviously missed the point! I made one point that it makes sense not to charge 99.00 or make a customer agree to another commitment when other cities that receive HD locals don't have to. I guess in your mind that means complaining.... so be it!

you arent looking at it from dish networks side.. the new dish alone costs 70$+/-, then they have to send a technician out to install it.. more then 50% of the time, the current location will not work for the line of site, so completely remounting and wiring the system will have to be done.. on ALL of these upgrades dish will have a minimum of $125 invested, and on some considerably more depending on type of mount and wiring involved.. why shouldnt they want a commitment from the customer so that all the expense and trouble wont be for nothing.. free is a great deal but even $99 with no commitment is a bargain.. thats basically paying for the dish, and getting the install for free..

some markets are lucky i guess for being on 129, but that doesnt make the expense involved in upgrading in this market go away..

I agree with your points and you should get paid. It DOES cost money and it is unfortunate that it can't be on 129. You are looking at it from a business point of view and I am looking from a consumer point of view.

Satellite 77

What angle is 77 off the horizon? I might have some tree issues. There not real high but sit higher off the horizon than the way my 1000.2 pointed is now. They are about 80 feet away. they are not mine or I would trim them back. I have a square shooter that gets the locals great but the second record option that gopherscot is talking about would be nice.

What angle is 77 off the horizon? I might have some tree issues. There not real high but sit higher off the horizon than the way my 1000.2 pointed is now. They are about 80 feet away. they are not mine or I would trim them back. I have a square shooter that gets the locals great but the second record option that gopherscot is talking about would be nice.

Check out Dishpointer.com. Zoom into your house on satellite mode and see exactly where it is at in your yard.

as digiblur said, dishpointer helps allot, but on a side note, the eastern arc satellites are fairly high in the sky.. in iowa 129 is like 29 elavation, and 77 is is at 41 elavation.. much higher in the sky..

well, i cant speak for most installers.. but i am a family owned retailer, and we put the dish on a pole in the yard by default, mounting on a roof is a LAST resort.. but again, not all installers are equal..

The installer offered mounting it to the back of house (screw into brick) or mount it to a pole. He suggested the house as the pole could get loose over time.

A retailer told me that Dish tried to launch on the 30th but it caused interference with other locals. And that is why they are putting the QC locals on 77. Is this even possible? It seems there engineers would know this before hand.

The installer offered mounting it to the back of house (screw into brick) or mount it to a pole. He suggested the house as the pole could get loose over time.

i have poles in the ground from the 7-8 years ago when i got into this business.. no problems.. thats ludacris.. what he was really saying is that the house mount doesnt cost him anything, and the pole costs him for a pole and concrete, and he prefers not spend any more then necessary..

as for the attempted sept 30th launch.. i have a retail communication from 9-24-9 that lists the projected launch on nov 4th on 77w.. so i dont think that story holds water either..

i have poles in the ground from the 7-8 years ago when i got into this business.. no problems.. thats ludacris.. what he was really saying is that the house mount doesnt cost him anything, and the pole costs him for a pole and concrete, and he prefers not spend any more then necessary..

as for the attempted sept 30th launch.. i have a retail communication from 9-24-9 that lists the projected launch on nov 4th on 77w.. so i dont think that story holds water either..

I have had a pole mount for 10 years with no problems. Rather not have a dish on my house! I was not charged anything for the pole install.

Do they then trench the cable. I have seen an install were it was pole mounted and the cable was just laying on top of the ground. Now the pole was about 100 foot from the house but still.

I have been here in Davenport for the last 6 months because my wife wanted to help her sister open up a shop. Anyway, I have been installing the 1000.4 for customers who do not want to sign a 24 mo contract. There is NO HD locals as of yet on the 77 but, The rumor around the shop is.....Soon!....
All of our new connects are done with the 1000.4 dish regardless if they have HD or not just in case they ever want to upgrade to HD then we don't have to go back out and swap the dish.

I have been stopped in the middle of the street many times asking if I could install the new HD local dish.....

The latest from dish is........
UPDATE: OCT 6th 2009
There is no new updates

Last edited:
I think the best way to get your HD locals is with a good digital antenna anyway. I did 9 Antenna installs last week and this week I'm on my 5th one already.
Most of my customers opt for the digital antenna anyway. I stock my truck with good out door digital antennas.

Do they then trench the cable. I have seen an install were it was pole mounted and the cable was just laying on top of the ground. Now the pole was about 100 foot from the house but still.

we trench 20 ft free, and i will trench further for a pre-discussed reasonable fee.. example - i trenched a dish 60 ft the other day, and i charged $35 for the extra distance total including cable..

I think the best way to get your HD locals is with a good digital antenna anyway. I did 9 Antenna installs last week and this week I'm on my 5th one already.
Most of my customers opt for the digital antenna anyway. I stock my truck with good out door digital antennas.

i agree, i install antennas too, although as far south as we are, we have to install a pretty big antenna for whbf 4 - any antennna will get you kwqc 6, wqad 8, and kljb 18, but whbf 4 is vhf and in the burlington area it can be a little tough to get.. so dish's hd locals will be well appreciated when they go online..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)