Dbs system creation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Personal use only
Ok, please define a little more what you have in mind for a "cable TV system"? Note that Dish and DirecTV are satellite based subscription content delivery systems, not cable systems. Are you looking to distribute the satellite signals from a "Free To Air" (FTA) satellite dish and receiver to multiple TV's in your home?

Ok, please define a little more what you have in mind for a "cable TV system"? Note that Dish and DirecTV are satellite based subscription content delivery systems, not cable systems. Are you looking to distribute the satellite signals from a "Free To Air" (FTA) satellite dish and receiver to multiple TV's in your home?
No I just want to personally create a fta system like dish and DirecTV electronic component wise not subscription wise.

No I just want to personally create a fta system like dish and DirecTV electronic component wise not subscription wise.
Ok, I'll leave it to the FTA experts here then to advise you on that now that it's a little clearer what you want to do. Googling on "Getting started with an FTA satellite system." could be useful too.

Ok, I'll leave it to the FTA experts here then to advise you on that now that it's a little clearer what you want to do. Googling on "Getting started with an FTA satellite system." could be useful too.
Can you help me what I need to get started and google search sucks

It's a difficult task. You probably already know this, but unlike Dish and DTV where usually one dish can pickup 3 satellites, there are lots of FTA satellites spread out from one end of the horizon to the other.

As a start you need either KU and C-band motorized dishes, or a separate fixed position dish for each FTA satellite that you want to receive.

I have one motorized dish for C band and another for KU band. I have an Edision OS Mio+ 4K receiver with two inputs. One input I use for C band and the other is for KU. When I want to watch an FTA channel I move the appropriate dish using its GBox dish mover.

If you want TV to multiple locations in your house, you might want to look into setting up a server using "Tvheadend" software for Linux. I have never attempted it.

... I am sure that there are others here with more advanced systems than mine who can give you better advice. My system requires a lot of manual intervention and only works with one TV.

Definitely want to go the enigma2 route if you want the FTA channels and picons along with IPTV and the video on demand from Youtube, pluto TV and Kodi for streaming services that are available with Kodi. I will say it takes lots of days and hours setting everything up and you wont get the same cable channels as the two satellite providers mentioned but you can stream alot of the shows with a subscription to the services. It is a hobby so you will have a lot of time invested into it. Will be fun if you like a challenge but cheaper just buy a roku or something similar.

Reactions: NYDutch
Definitely want to go the enigma2 route if you want the FTA channels and picons along with IPTV and the video on demand from Youtube, pluto TV and Kodi for streaming services that are available with Kodi. I will say it takes lots of days and hours setting everything up and you wont get the same cable channels as the two satellite providers mentioned but you can stream alot of the shows with a subscription to the services. It is a hobby so you will have a lot of time invested into it. Will be fun if you like a challenge but cheaper just buy a roku or something similar

I know the components of the dish Network and DirecTV systems but dont know how to create one similar to it with connecting multiple tvs in my house for just getting local channels if it's even possible. Do you know what can help me build this? Do you have the link?

I know the components of the dish Network and DirecTV systems but dont know how to create one similar to it with connecting multiple tvs in my house for just getting local channels if it's even possible. Do you know what can help me build this? Do you have the link?
Only way I know how to do it is get android Tv's and an enigma2 box with a few Hauppauge digital TV tuners. Put Kodi on your android TV's and install the enigma2 pvr client on Kodi on each Tv. Or get an enigma2 box for each TV and use each box as a client. Android TV's with Kodi would be way less money. It is all very technical for the beginner.
I have added a pic of what Kodi would look like. The picons and order of the channels is work so be prepared spending alot of time doing all of it yourself.

Attachments

• screenshot00000.png
    screenshot00000.png
    578.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. You started out the thread asking about setting up a distribution system for fta (free to air), which is unencrypted satellite channels but in post 11 you mention 'just getting local channels', which would be OTA (antenna). Before giving advice could you please clarify exactly which channels, satellite or antenna, you are looking to distribute through your home. Both are possible but we need to be sure which you are looking for. Thanks! :)

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. You started out the thread asking about setting up a distribution system for fta (free to air), which is unencrypted satellite channels but in post 11 you mention 'just getting local channels', which would be OTA (antenna). Before giving advice could you please clarify exactly which channels, satellite or antenna, you are looking to distribute through your home. Both are possible but we need to be sure which you are looking for. Thanks! :)
Free to air

I am guessing hacker at this point, but just my opinion. Anybody wanting to set up OTA or free to air would be back more often.
Why don't you share your setup details using a pc and a sat tuner. Could also add some Hauppauge digital TV tuners and kodi and that would be an awsome setup too. I don't think he's hacking just looking for modern setup. But i'm guessing myself yeah we need more details.

I use a silicone dust 4k flex plugged into the router, also DVB Viewer witch see's the tuner and sat signals, still having some trouble with viewer, but overall it works well. It's winter and will have time to work the wrinkles out of Viewer, but have no problem getting most signals. Of course no guide in viewer for DBS and I think that is what messes it up. I can choose a channel and all is fine, switch and causes chaos. Last few months I have bought my shop and have not spent time.