DC Area News (mostly on Spanish Language Stations)

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Before I go too far all of this comes from the mailbag over at dcrtv.com. it often has some questionable information but once in a while there is some news there. BTW I bothered to confirm all of this at the FCC site before posting.

Nothing earth shattering here but I thought some would care.

First Friday Dec 1 is the date when WMDO-CD shuts down and begins channel sharing with WIAV. Since I never got WIAV i guess I lose 4 stations. There a few who think that this will mean UniMas will move to WJAL.

WHUR And WTTG have both filed for increases in power. WHUT had asked to go from 100kw to 256 and WTTG wants to go to 1000kw.

WHUR And WTTG have both filed for increases in power. WHUT had asked to go from 100kw to 256 and WTTG wants to go to 1000kw.
Sounds like they figured out that the FCC's power allocations are way off just like what happened during the digital transition.

Sounds like they figured out that the FCC's power allocations are way off just like what happened during the digital transition.

No doubt. If I am not mistaken there was a freeze on these applications so lots of stations may be asking. I only followed up on DC stations.

No doubt. If I am not mistaken there was a freeze on these applications so lots of stations may be asking. I only followed up on DC stations.
I'm not sure how the changes to WTTG and WHUT means that the FCC's power allocations are way off, since neither station is moving during the repack. In fact, WTTG is at 1000 kW now, so there's no power increase requested. They're just changing towers, and the new location will actually result in a slight loss of viewers, according to RabbitEars. As for WHUT, they currently have a 960 kW co-channel station in Norfolk, an 800 kW lower adjacent in Philadelphia and a 1000 kW upper adjacent in DC; after the repack, the lower adjacent becomes a co-channel station and increases power to 880 kW, so WHUT will actually be more constrained after the repack than they are now, yet they still have room to expand. I'm pretty sure WHUT requested more power because they could, with the temporary lifting of the freeze. It has nothing to do with the FCC's allocations.

Reactions: Trip
I hope that WTTG move isn’t far. I don’t want to have to use my rotor. Bad for unattended DVRing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts