Dear Dish: Please add AJE

Al Jazeera (English) and BBC World Service is available on Bell. Also, HD East & West Nets, WGN CW HD, WPIX CW HD, & WSBK HD. I subscribe and is well worth it. I will problem cancel dish when my contact comes up because of their lack of concern with the HD Nets.

The English news channels on 97W Ku-band are Al Jazeera English, Press TV (from Iran, I think), RT America (a mix of Russian-sphere news and hip young moderate-leftist news out of Washington), and a new English channel from Xinhua in China.

It amazes me that CNN America does not use the resources of CNN International and instead opts to cover US politics or the weather 24/7 like Fox or MSNBC.

So how would I be able to get somebody to install a FTA system and where to buy ? What about this Bell System that one poster is talking about

KG4KBU said:
So how would I be able to get somebody to install a FTA system and where to buy ? What about this Bell System that one poster is talking about

Bell is a Canadian satellite service. You'd have to go through a broker to get it. I bought my FTA system through globecast, but that was a long time ago. If you buy through a large vendor, they should be able to refer you to an installer, mine did. Otherwise craigslist and the yellow pages would be a good place to start. Sadoun sells FTA equipment, very reputable company.

Last edited:
Basically, despite the hundreds of channels that come in on Dish 250, we get 3 channels that describe themselves as news channels. i.e. FOX, CNN & MSNBC plus whatever is available on local broadcast. (big 3 networks) On the revolution taking place in Egypt, when I checked, Fox wasn't even covering it choosing instead to talk about illegal babies or something such as that, MSNBC shows prison lockup stories, and CNN originally couldn't put aside a story about Charlie Sheen's behavioral issues. The other channels in the news block, don't bother.

It almost makes me think that Dish is in on some kind of conspiracy with the other providers and these networks to keep Americans dumbed down on the real news out there. I'm venting so this probably isn't true, but it's a pretty sad state for the cost that it takes to purchase the 250 pack these days with a DVR and this is all there is. I'm not really interested in putting up a FTA satellite system due to the numerous issues with it. I do like Dish's DVR, which ironically I used to record and watch OTR news on MHz that is broadcast on one of the PBS subchannels, which is why I remain with them for now. But it's getting more difficult for me to justify staying with them given the quality of 95% of the programming on it.

It seems to me that Dish is missing out on a major opportunity to differentiate itself as it did when I first went with them in the late '90s.

Edit: I should have given Dish a mention for at least providing access to linktv & fstv.

Last edited:
Its actually a decent channel I have watched it on fta many times.
If you have an ipad or iphone an app to watch live is now available.

You can find good international news on CCTV channel 265, (I think at 5 p,m, PST) which is an English-language channel from China. You can watch Al-Jazeera English at 7 pm PST on Link TV, channel 9410; they also carry Deutche Welle at 11 p.m. PST (I think). BBC News is on your local PBS channel, and also on BBCCA Channel 135 (I forget the time, but in's in the late afternoon).

I did request all those channels for you. It would be a package, I would be very interested in as well!
MaryD, just to add to what others have requested, I'd definitively enjoy BBC World News and CNN International - I used to enjoy the latter quite a bit when Time Warner in NYC used to have it.

I have stumble onto the CCTV channel the other day and I was also impressed on how good that channel is. I feel offended by these so-called US news channels like Fox News, CNN and MSNBC to think that we, the American people, are more interested on shouting matches or on Lyndsay Lohan whereabouts than in news in depth.

Every time I travel overseas, BBC World is my default channel, especially if HardTalk's on. But if BBC World News isnt' available, CNN International is miles better than the our homegrown CNN.

Aljazeera English has been on Channel 9410 (Link) most of the last two days (maybe more, I just ran across it).

I did just fill out a programming request for Al Jazeera (English) al a carte and BBC World Service! Hopefully in the future we can offer both channels!

Sorry for the caps in advance, but this was a long time coming.

You are taking this the wrong way, maryb. First off, I have requested Al Jazeera English, A FEW YEARS AGO!!! Why all of the sudden, NOW??? I mean Dish Network has gotten the rights of Al Jazeera Sports, BBC Arabic, and some random South Asian News Channels, BUT NOT AL JAZEERA ENGLISH, NEITHER RT AMERICA (This channel has gotten my interest ever since, now that Keith Olbermann has been fired from Comcast Cable News Net)!!!

In my opinion, Dish Network's Arabic Distributor, Reach Media, is the only one that can get Al Jazeera English, on Dish Network, since Reach Media has successfully gotten rights for Al Jazeera Arabic, and Al Jazeera Sports (not the multichannels sports that people in Europe can see, besides, it would make Non-Liberty Media cry foul, because Al Jazzera Sports +1 to +8 can carry all UEFA Champions League matches).

For people who want to jam up Reach Media's phones (and please, do jam up their phones), to request Al Jazeera Engish, go here: Contact Us

In fact, if you go to Al Jazeera Sports website, in order to watch Al Jazeera Sports, this is what you will get: http://www.aljazeerasport.net/custom/Dev/howToWatchUs/north_america.html

If Reach Media can secure the rights to an Arabic sports channel, they can easily secure the rights to an Arabic owned English Language News Channel.

Sorry for the caps in advance, but this was a long time coming.

You are taking this the wrong way, maryb. First off, I have requested Al Jazeera English, A FEW YEARS AGO!!! Why all of the sudden, NOW??? I mean Dish Network has gotten the rights of Al Jazeera Sports, BBC Arabic, and some random South Asian News Channels, BUT NOT AL JAZEERA ENGLISH, NEITHER RT AMERICA (This channel has gotten my interest ever since, now that Keith Olbermann has been fired from Comcast Cable News Net)!!!

In my opinion, Dish Network's Arabic Distributor, Reach Media, is the only one that can get Al Jazeera English, on Dish Network, since Reach Media has successfully gotten rights for Al Jazeera Arabic, and Al Jazeera Sports (not the multichannels sports that people in Europe can see, besides, it would make Non-Liberty Media cry foul, because Al Jazzera Sports +1 to +8 can carry all UEFA Champions League matches).

For people who want to jam up Reach Media's phones (and please, do jam up their phones), to request Al Jazeera Engish, go here: Contact Us

In fact, if you go to Al Jazeera Sports website, in order to watch Al Jazeera Sports, this is what you will get: http://www.aljazeerasport.net/custom/Dev/howToWatchUs/north_america.html

If Reach Media can secure the rights to an Arabic sports channel, they can easily secure the rights to an Arabic owned English Language News Channel.

I think you might be overreacting. She's not saying Dish is adding Al Jazeera English today, she's putting in requests. And I doubt she was on this forum checking people's requests a few years ago when you started wanting Al Jazeera English. Lighten up a bit.

Wow. AJE and RT America are both available for free on Galaxy 19. If you want them that bad, go for it. It's not hard, or expensive.