DECA II Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you have the DECA II-based cinema connection kit (DCA2PR0) it can be used as a regular DECA if you remove the F-connector adapter and power brick. I have done this.

the deca2pro is the deca2 with a power brick, it has replaced the cinema connection kit. So as SolidSignal stated, it can be used without power to connect a H(r)21+ to the cloud or run ethernet over coax to a remote location.

Problem is I don't have DirecTV. Just need a poor man's MoCA-ish network and need external power at every node. PR kits are cheaper than SRs plus power, hence my question. Only trying to save a buck.

Glad to hear my plan should work. Thanks to all.

ahh, well I can confirm 100% what your trying to do will work. so long as you have power inserters on all of the decas. You can even check craigslist or ebay for "directv deca" while not recommended the 21v power supply for the swm lnb will also work with the deca to "make an ethernet line" in addition to the 18v.

Problem is I don't have DirecTV. Just need a poor man's MoCA-ish network and need external power at every node. PR kits are cheaper than SRs plus power, hence my question. Only trying to save a buck.

Glad to hear my plan should work. Thanks to all.

It was my experience that DECA only worked with DIRECTV set-up. What I mean is,that in addtion to using DECA for my DTV receivers,I did use extra DECA Cinema Connection kits with power inserters running from my DTV cable hook-ups to also run internet switches. However,they didn't work for me when I used them with my Cable company's coaxial cables. I actually did a thread one or two years ago about my experiment using DECA Cinema Connection Kits to run the internet through my DTV cable set-up to various internet switches,but I can't find the archive of it.

Last edited:
At the time that I did the experiment,I had both ATT 6.0 High Speed DSL(still have that) & Broadband Cable Internet through Charter/Cobridge/Knology Cable. I used the DECA Cinema Connection Kit with my DTV set-up to hook-up 3 internet switches to my ATT DSL. I used 4 Actiontec MoCA adapters(one hooked up to my router) with my Broadband Cable Internet conection to 3 internet switches. You cannot mix & match the DECA Cinema Connection Kit adapters with Actiontec MoCa adapters,& like I said before,the DECA Cinema Connection Kit adapters did not work being hooked up to run using my broadband cable internet coaxial cables. Also,the internet speed was slower with the DECA Cinema Connection Kit adapters than they were with the Actiontec MoCa adapters.

Great info, Roy. Thanks. What I'm planning to do is keep the DECA coax network completely separate from my cable tv coax network due to the DECA frequency walking on my cable channels and internet. I hope that using DECA II and having it isolated, that it will work nearly as well as MoCa. In my case I only need about 20Mbps speed, so even if the speed isn't great, that should be enough. I just need something more reliable than the powerline ethernet adapters I'm using today. So even if DECA isn't speedy, at least it's reliable. I would get Actiontec MoCa adapters, but in my 5 node system, that will cost me a fortune. DECA kits, on the other hand are only $12 each on ebay at the moment. So I can do my whole house for less than the cost of a single Actiontec adapter.

I'll post back once I get everything set up, and do some speed tests as well.

Great info, Roy. Thanks. What I'm planning to do is keep the DECA coax network completely separate from my cable tv coax network due to the DECA frequency walking on my cable channels and internet. I hope that using DECA II and having it isolated, that it will work nearly as well as MoCa. In my case I only need about 20Mbps speed, so even if the speed isn't great, that should be enough. I just need something more reliable than the powerline ethernet adapters I'm using today. So even if DECA isn't speedy, at least it's reliable. I would get Actiontec MoCa adapters, but in my 5 node system, that will cost me a fortune. DECA kits, on the other hand are only $12 each on ebay at the moment. So I can do my whole house for less than the cost of a single Actiontec adapter.

I'll post back once I get everything set up, and do some speed tests as well.

Yes,Actiontec MoCa adapters are expensive. Also,if you went that route(MoCa over your cable company's wire),you'd need a filter piece to place between the cable coming from the pole where you get you get your internet/cable TV & the splitter that you probably have to run coaxial cable to all of the rooms that you have it installed.
When I say that the internet runs slower using DECA adapters,what I mean is the difference in speed using a wireless G versus ethernet connection. The DECA set-up is slightly slower than ethernet connection for the internet. Now with the Actiontec MoCa set-up,my connection speed was fast for the 12Mbps speed that I had with cable broadband.

Last edited:
It was my experience that DECA only worked with DIRECTV set-up. What I mean is,that in addtion to using DECA for my DTV receivers,I did use extra DECA Cinema Connection kits with power inserters running from my DTV cable hook-ups to also run internet switches. However,they didn't work for me when I used them with my Cable company's coaxial cables. I actually did a thread one or two years ago about my experiment using DECA Cinema Connection Kits to run the internet through my DTV cable set-up to various internet switches,but I can't find the archive of it.

This is quite odd as I can create a patch cable by hooking two old white deca's together with power supplies. Ill give it a shot with black ones when i get some free time. But I have seen this work just fine. maybe your lines were crossed or you left the cable splitters in place. If you are trying to run the deca signal and cable tv signal over the same wire then you need the swm3 diplexors, theyre on solidsignal, someone do me a favor and link them, i gotta run out to eat :p

This is quite odd as I can create a patch cable by hooking two old white deca's together with power supplies. Ill give it a shot with black ones when i get some free time. But I have seen this work just fine. maybe your lines were crossed or you left the cable splitters in place. If you are trying to run the deca signal and cable tv signal over the same wire then you need the swm3 diplexors, theyre on solidsignal, someone do me a favor and link them, i gotta run out to eat :p

Actually I was trying to mix & match these http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=decabb1r0&d=directv-cinema-connection-kit-(decabb1r0) with the Actiontec MoCa adapters. THAT didn't work. I never tried them by themselves over my Cable broadband coaxial cable set-up. I just hooked them up to my DTV DECA set up & they worked just fine. If he hooks up the DECA II CCK's(which should work just as good as the original CCK's),maybe he won't have trouble,but he should still put a filter between the cable from the pole or wherever his cable internet/TV comes from to the splitter where the signal is divided to the rooms in his house so the MoCa/DECA signal won't travel back to the pole. Another good thing to have would be a diplexer or splitter for each DECA II he wants to hook up so that with the splitter output,he'll have cable running to his Cable STB & from a separate output on the splitter,he can run coaxial cable to the DECA II(with power adapter) & then to his internet switch. That way the cable signal to his STB will not be interrupted. ALSO......it is a good idea to have a splitter where your cable modem is. Then use the non-power pass side of the splitter output to hook up to your modem & the power pass side of the output that will run to the DECA II adapter hooked up to your router. That way the signal to your cable modem will not be interrupted. I learned that the hard way with the Actiontec MoCa adapters. Oh yeah,that filter i keep describing would be called a MoCa filter & it is cylinder shaped to put between the cable & splitter.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the additional info.

Well, I got my DCA2PR0's installed and they are working beautifully, 100Mbps full duplex measured at every node. Mine doesn't connect to my cable tv coax network at all, so no need for diplexers or band stop filters anywhere.

I did attempt to put analog cable tv on the same cable as the DECA's using sat diplexers at each end. While I got my analog cable signals, it broke DECA, so that doesn't work. No problem in my case as I don't need it.

So anyone needing network connections elsewhere in their home which is prewired for coax only, this is a great solution.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

Perfect timing for this topic. Like MDAVEJ, I just cancelled DirecTV and will use the leftover deca (DECABB1MR0-01) plus some new DCA2PR0s to turn my house's coax into a wired network. The old DTV coax has no other signals traveling on it now; my cable internet enters the house on a separate, dedicated line. Wifi just isn't cutting the mustard for streaming and a robust work VPN, even when I move my N-router to different locations.

One question, if I may: Do I need to use a filter/splitter combo or anything else between my modem and the cable "pole/source" to keep my network traffic private from neighbors or anyone else outside? I don't think so, but I'm no authority or IT pro.

Many thanks!! Great info in this thread!

Thanks guys for all the additional info.

Well, I got my DCA2PR0's installed and they are working beautifully, 100Mbps full duplex measured at every node. Mine doesn't connect to my cable tv coax network at all, so no need for diplexers or band stop filters anywhere.

I did attempt to put analog cable tv on the same cable as the DECA's using sat diplexers at each end. While I got my analog cable signals, it broke DECA, so that doesn't work. No problem in my case as I don't need it.

So anyone needing network connections elsewhere in their home which is prewired for coax only, this is a great solution.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

With the diplexers,did you hook your DECA adapters to the power pass side of the Diplexer(with the cable analog signal hooked up to the non-power pass side) when you were trying to get your analog cable signals?

Perfect timing for this topic. Like MDAVEJ, I just cancelled DirecTV and will use the leftover deca (DECABB1MR0-01) plus some new DCA2PR0s to turn my house's coax into a wired network. The old DTV coax has no other signals traveling on it now; my cable internet enters the house on a separate, dedicated line. Wifi just isn't cutting the mustard for streaming and a robust work VPN, even when I move my N-router to different locations.

One question, if I may: Do I need to use a filter/splitter combo or anything else between my modem and the cable "pole/source" to keep my network traffic private from neighbors or anyone else outside? I don't think so, but I'm no authority or IT pro.

Many thanks!! Great info in this thread!

If you are using the coaxial cable hooked up to your house by your cable provider for broadband internet for DECA/MoCa set up,then yes,you do need a filter between the cable from the pole to the splitter that feeds the cables to your house so as not to bleed the MoCa signal back to your cable provider. One thing also to note,do not have a signal amplifier installed before the DECA/MoCa adapters as that will interrupt the signal to & from the DECA/MoCa adapters.

With the diplexers,did you hook your DECA adapters to the power pass side of the Diplexer(with the cable analog signal hooked up to the non-power pass side) when you were trying to get your analog cable signals?
Yes I did. I could not get green lights on the DECAs after doing that. I expected it to work though. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Question for you though, would THIS BSFR01 band stop filter be appropriate for blocking MoCA back to the head end?

Yes I did. I could not get green lights on the DECAs after doing that. I expected it to work though. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Question for you though, would THIS BSFR01 band stop filter be appropriate for blocking MoCA back to the head end?

What you are looking for is called a MoCa Point of Entry Filter. I'm trying to find a picture of it & information on where you can buy one. They're not expensive,just under $20.00. You can search for the information yourself(eBay is a good place to start),but I'll post information on where you can buy some as soon as I can come across it.

What frequency does the deca's operate at over the coax?

Has anyone tested very long runs with this concept? My mother lives about 800' back from the road, and I was thinking of buying 1000' of RG11, and seeing if I can get internet from a modem installed by the road back to their place. It could be a 50+ dB drop if the frequencies are high (near 1000 MHz).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts