Defective SD Box ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
I have a SWM 5 setup with one H24-700 (working fine) and one d12-100. The SD box needs either a reset/restart from the menu OR pull of power plug EACH day, even tho power and box remain on overnight. The sd box has both an av and s-video connection. Sometimes, it takes an entire SYSTEM power down to get the SD box working again.

I have a SWM 5 setup with one H24-700 (working fine) and one d12-100. The SD box needs either a reset/restart from the menu OR pull of power plug EACH day, even tho power and box remain on overnight. The sd box has both an av and s-video connection. Sometimes, it takes an entire SYSTEM power down to get the SD box working again.
I would call D* and see if they will upgrade the box for free seeing how old it is.

Reactions: dcavaiani
Yes, that D12 will become unusable as of April 1st 2019 so call Directv and they should offer to replace it with an HD receiver at no cost and no commitment.

Call them and and say the box won’t power up and let them send a replacement.

Likely you’ll get an H24.

Say it does not power up. They will have you check the power cord, but will save doing all the other pointless trouble shooting steps.

If the box does not power on, they can’t waste your time troubleshooting :)

Reactions: dcavaiani and mdram
Thanks for all helpful and prompt replies! I will be getting a replacement HD box from DirecTV soon. One problem that I will have is that now I run a coax line OUT OF the SD box over to a small TV in the kitchen. I was wondering if anyone knows a way/converter to go the distance to the TV via cable from the HD box ??

Thanks for all helpful and prompt replies! I will be getting a replacement HD box from DirecTV soon. One problem that I will have is that now I run a coax line OUT OF the SD box over to a small TV in the kitchen. I was wondering if anyone knows a way/converter to go the distance to the TV via cable from the HD box ??

You are using the D12 as a 'tuner' and have that small TV on channel 3/4? You will run into issues trying to use HDMI at the same time you are outputting to a second TV, so assuming your first TV is HD use component cables for it instead of HD, and for the second TV connect it via composite. If you don't have composite input on that small TV you'll need to buy a channel 3/4 modulator, which costs about $10 off eBay or Amazon.

You are using the D12 as a 'tuner' and have that small TV on channel 3/4? You will run into issues trying to use HDMI at the same time you are outputting to a second TV, so assuming your first TV is HD use component cables for it instead of HD, and for the second TV connect it via composite. If you don't have composite input on that small TV you'll need to buy a channel 3/4 modulator, which costs about $10 off eBay or Amazon.
So, I need a composite (W,R,Y) to Coax cable to get to kitchen tv, and use a Component (R,G,B) connection for the main HD TV instead of HDMI?

You'll want to make sure you have the w/r connected for the audio, the the RGB for the Video.
Right now I have a 40' or so coax running from the sd out to tv port to the coax port on the basic mini kitchen tv. The sd box has a s-video to the HD capable tv. I will be replacing that sd box with the hd box.

Right now I have a 40' or so coax running from the sd out to tv port to the coax port on the basic mini kitchen tv. The sd box has a s-video to the HD capable tv. I will be replacing that sd box with the hd box.
You won't get HD with coax, that I know of, unless theres some addl. box that does that.

You won't get HD with coax, that I know of, unless theres some addl. box that does that.
Understood, just want to get the signal, via existing 40' coax, to the non HD small kitchen TV, over the existing 40' coax from the hd box, while also getting the best HD on the HD box/HD TV (in bedroom) itself

Understood, just want to get the signal, via existing 40' coax, to the non HD small kitchen TV, over the existing 40' coax from the hd box, while also getting the best HD on the HD box/HD TV (in bedroom) itself
That being the case, look at post 10 by Slice ...
Its a shame ... these are the things you use to get locally, didn't have to go to ebay or amazon ... you could just run down to the store and pick it up and have it and be done.

Its a shame ... these are the things you use to get locally, didn't have to go to ebay or amazon ... you could just run down to the store and pick it up and have it and be done.
I think I finally get it, and this RCA modulator unit only comes as a powered unit, correct? And, then I can still use an HDMI to HD TV - or must it be Component?

I think I finally get it, and this RCA modulator unit only comes as a powered unit, correct? And, then I can still use an HDMI to HD TV - or must it be Component?

You need to use component. If you have an HDMI cable connected to a receiver and you turn off the TV connected to it, the receiver will disable the composite output. I know, sounds weird...blame Hollywood's paranoid about people making copies of their movies.

Walmart has them for like $10-$20.

If your thinking Rat Shack, try $40. Although I miss the place, they ran themselves out of business selling over priced accessories.

All has been pretty much setup and working just as the replies have instructed. The HD box is in place and yet the same issue occurs. The issue is that each morning I now have to press the red reset button to get the "no signal" message to disappear, and then the HD box comes back up normally. I cannot figure out why I would lose the signal each night when power is not interrupted, but rather I just click off the TV and the box via the remote ...

All has been pretty much setup and working just as the replies have instructed. The HD box is in place and yet the same issue occurs. The issue is that each morning I now have to press the red reset button to get the "no signal" message to disappear, and then the HD box comes back up normally. I cannot figure out why I would lose the signal each night when power is not interrupted, but rather I just click off the TV and the box via the remote ...
Sounds like a cabling issue to me or perhaps a wonky splitter. Can you swap the boxes to see if the issue follows the box or stays where it is?

As I am troubleshooting this 2nd replacement HD which I just received, I find that this no signal issue may actually have something to do with the Hannspree TV? I have a coax connected from the camper antenna connected directly to the TV, I have an HDMI from the TV to the DirecTV HD box. When I turn on the TV which is set to HDMI input, I get the NO signal. If I switch to the TV input, I get a picture from the camper antenna. THEN, if I switch BACK to the HDMI input, IT WORKS!

Status
Please reply by conversation.