Denver NBC affiliate announces HD helicopter

The Stone Man

Centennial, Colorado
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 15, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
On the morning news, the local NBC (KUSA) affiliate announced that they will unveil the nation's first all-HD helicopter for local news coverage. The official launch is scheduled for some time next week.

They have only announced this during the morning news, and there is nothing in the local papers yet, but this could really be good. The station manager would not reveal how much has been invested in all the equipment, other than to say it was "substantial".

Stone Man,

what is unique about an all HD Helicopter? I believe HDnews had a segment shot from a Helicopter in HD when a segment of I95 (near C.T.) collapsed. Is it just simply a Helicopter with an HD camera or something else? (not trying to spoil your news :) )

I thought it was interesting that a local station would make that kind of commitment to broadcast HD feeds from a helicopter. It might be ho-hum for everyone else, but kind of a big deal for Colorado. Guess I should have posted this in the Colorado Voomers thread. Sean--can you move this there?

The Stone Man said:
I thought it was interesting that a local station would make that kind of commitment to broadcast HD feeds from a helicopter. It might be ho-hum for everyone else, but kind of a big deal for Colorado. Guess I should have posted this in the Colorado Voomers thread. Sean--can you move this there?

No, leave here. I was just curious what an all HD Helicopter meant. From the local point of view, I do see the importance as not many local stations are doing the same. Does your Colorado station transmits HD news locally or is this a trend that eventually will push the station to go HD with their local news?

They have an article on their website that says NBC will broadcast 60% of it's programming in HD by the Fall of 2004. Parts of the local news are currently broadcast in HD (720P), but not all of it. It's a little strange to watch, because you get HD shots, and then they go back to the studio and you get the side bars for the SD portion.

FYI.

The local news channel (9News) here in Denver is broadcasting in HD. It looks great, the detail is outstanding. And to see Kathy Sabine (who has guest appeared on the Today Show several times) is a hottie and in HD looks even better.

9news will now start broadcasting HD pictures from a helicpoter next week (4/27/04) I believe. So, it is the first in the nation to telecast from a helicopter.

Also, if you go to the 9news website www.9news.com they are giving away a Mits HD TV once a month for the entire year, so check it out.

--Shich

Wow! Now folks in Denver can watch police chases in HD!!!

The Stone Man said:
They have an article on their website that says NBC will broadcast 60% of it's programming in HD by the Fall of 2004. Parts of the local news are currently broadcast in HD (720P), but not all of it. It's a little strange to watch, because you get HD shots, and then they go back to the studio and you get the side bars for the SD portion.

Wow, HD local news. You guys are lucky. I can't believe Denver has HD news and a bigger city like Chicago here doesn't. On a side note, I thought NBC was doing 1080i HD?

Speaking of HDNews, is it me or do they only have a 10 min. block of stories and information that they keep repeating?

Just got back from NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) annual convention here in Las Vegas and saw a KLS-TV helicopter right in the convention floor. Not sure if it was HD or not...pretty cool.

btw, the Sony HDV prosumer HD camcorder was on display...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts