Destiny (XBone, PS4)

I switched to the Xbox One version even though I already had a level 22 character on PS4. The reason I did this was because I have a couple friends who play Destiny on Xbox but that wasn't the case on PS4.
That explains it. I saw that you were playing that online the other night and I was like, "Wait, doesn't he have that on the PS4?"

That explains it. I saw that you were playing that online the other night and I was like, "Wait, doesn't he have that on the PS4?"

Yeah, well when I originally played the game it was a rental copy from Gamefly so I was going to end up buying the same package either way. Switching to Xbox One meant I lost my level 22 character but they have really sped up the leveling process so I should be back there if not quite a bit higher by the time The Taken King comes out. Doing it this way means I might actually have some other people to play with this time.

So I made it to level 26 which was the level Bungie recommended reaching before trying the first raid last year. Some people in the Destiny group I joined saw that and encouraged me to join up with them for the Vault of Glass raid.

This was really cool of them because most of the Destiny groups I have seen on the internet don't want anyone who isn't max level, hasn't done it before, or doesn't have certain legendary weapons. I planned to wait until I had a higher level so I wouldn't be as much of a liability but they were willing to help and actually asked me to join them even though they knew I was a lower level than they were, I had never raided, and had zero legendary weapons.

It ended up being me at level 26, one other person who had never done it before at level 28, and four maxed out (level 34) guys who had done it a dozen times. Everyone was super friendly and didn't get frustrated when me or the other rookie messed up. This happened quite a bit because the raid is complex. You have to be in the right place and do the right thing at the right time. Raids are not like most of the rest of the game where it just comes down to killing all the bad guys in an area and moving on.

I can really see how people got so obsessed with this game when they are doing six player co-op, in such highly focused, challenging content. It was a really cool experience that took about an hour. This isn't bad for a group with two rookies considering that the very first people to beat the Vault of Glass took 10 hours.

That isn't really a fair comparison since the max level back then was 30 (we had four 34s), and they had to figure out all the complex details of this raid by themselves. Now everyone can watch youtube videos to learn how to do it and most of our group has done it a dozen times.

One of the coolest parts was at the end when everyone's loot dropped. Along with some other gear I got a legendary weapon called Vision of Confluence. I was already excited because this was my first legendary item in the game. I got way more excited when everyone started yelling and going nuts as soon as they saw my drop though. Apparently this is a Vault of Glass specific weapon drop and it's pretty rare.

Out of the level 34 players who had done this raid many times only one of them had this gun. It was cool that I got something rare and awesome on my first attempt but the part that was really cool was how genuinely excited a group of strangers got when it dropped for me even though most of them didn't have it themselves.

I'm really happy with the experience I had last night and I'm looking forward to running the rest of the raids and The Taken King content with my new group.

Last edited:
Yeah well, it's POSSIBLE you could have had more fun playing Rocket League with me instead last night.. ;p

And most nights I would have been happy to team up for some Rocket League. It's hard to get a group of 6 together for a raid where none of the people mind a low level rookie joining in though. I couldn't pass that up.

Yeah don't worry about it. I likewise would have turned down such an offer if I had gotten a good group together for some custom Halo matches.

I have always thought that PC was the platform that made the most sense for a game like Destiny. I have a feeling that by the time this actually comes it will be way to late though. Destiny has already lost most of the hype that was there at launch and I'm not sure coming in with a PC version a couple years after release is the best idea.

Now, I'm still playing Destiny pretty much every night. I have beaten the campaign and the story content in both expansions that have been released so far. My character is currently level 31 (current max level is 34) and all of my gear is legendary now. I've only been playing for a few weeks and according to the achievements on in the Smart Glass app I've already put in 55 hours. It's easily my most played Xbox One game even in such a short period of time so you could say I'm hooked.

People who have played Destiny might have heard of a little gun called Gallarhorne. It's an exotic (rarest tier) rocket launcher and it's the most powerful PvE weaopon in the game. It's Destiny's most sought after weapon and some "looking for group" websites actually make having it a requirement to join.

There was a big controversy last weekend when Xur had it for sale. Xur is the only vendor in the game you can buy exotic equipment from and he is only in The Tower from 5:00am every Friday until 5:00am every Sunday. He takes a unique currency called Strange Coins that no other vendors in the game use and you only start to see them once you get to the end game. They are pretty rare and the maximum you can reliably get from doing Heroic Strikes on the hardest difficulty is 9 per week. It is possible to get them as random loot drops but it's not something you see all the time.

People didn't like seeing this weapon for sale at an in-game vendor when they grinded for 600+ hours before they got theirs. Bungie's defense was that Xur uses the same random number generator that everything else in the game uses. The only difference is that all of his items are exotics.

Since I had only been playing a couple weeks I only had 5 Strange Coins when he showed up with the best weapon in the game and he was charging 17 so I couldn't buy it. I was kinda bummed I didn't get it considering it will probably never be for sale again but last night I had it drop for me after beating the Prison of Elders end game content for the first time. So far I have only finished 1 raid and done 1 Prison of Edlers run (basically the House of Wolves expansion's closest thing to a raid) and I got two of the top weapons in the entire game as drops. Like I said some people have played 600+ hours and still don't have this stuff.

I had never heard of the GallarHorne until I heard it mentioned on the Howard Stern show of all places. They found videos of people losing their sh*t when they found it and thought it was funny (it was)

As far as the PC version coming too late, it's easy to see why they put it to the backburner since they were developing for 4 consoles already and Bungie hadn't made a PC game in like a decade, so it was better to just focus on consoles. Don't forget that Bungie and Activision have a 10 year plan for Destiny, so even if it were to come out in 2017 they could easily release the game with all the DLC up to that point included.

I'm a little torn on Destiny. I've thought about giving it a third try, but I don't really throw like throwing down $60 for something I'm not sure of. I know they released that "free" edition a while back, but the beginning parts of Destiny that I tried out in the Alpha and Beta were just so damn boring. Again, it's one of those games that's better with friends/teammates much like Borderlands (along with MANY other things with Borderlands), but sadly I don't have those, and I think my 5 year old may be a little too young for the game.

I had never heard of the GallarHorne until I heard it mentioned on the Howard Stern show of all places. They found videos of people losing their sh*t when they found it and thought it was funny (it was)

As far as the PC version coming too late, it's easy to see why they put it to the backburner since they were developing for 4 consoles already and Bungie hadn't made a PC game in like a decade, so it was better to just focus on consoles. Don't forget that Bungie and Activision have a 10 year plan for Destiny, so even if it were to come out in 2017 they could easily release the game with all the DLC up to that point included.

I'm a little torn on Destiny. I've thought about giving it a third try, but I don't really throw like throwing down $60 for something I'm not sure of. I know they released that "free" edition a while back, but the beginning parts of Destiny that I tried out in the Alpha and Beta were just so damn boring. Again, it's one of those games that's better with friends/teammates much like Borderlands (along with MANY other things with Borderlands), but sadly I don't have those, and I think my 5 year old may be a little too young for the game.

I proud to say that I didn't react quite like that when I got mine. I was excited but there was no yelling or hyperventilating/crying involved. Maybe if I had grinded for 600 hours before I got it things would have been different.

Well if you ever do decide to give it a try I would be up for creating a character in another class and playing through it again. Another option is that all The Taken King packages come with a consumable you can use to boost a character to level 25. This is the minimum level for The Taken King content and it's meant for new players to be able to play with their friends right away.

How Destiny's faults shaped The Taken King

As someone who is currently addicted to Destiny that was pretty interesting. I've had the game for less than a month on Xbox and the Smartglass app says I've put 68 hours in. For comparison my most played game on Steam, Civ 5, sits at 50 hours and I've owned that game for about 3 years.

I'm scheduled to run the Crota's End raid with my group tonight. This is the last thing in Destiny I haven't experienced at least once. I'm really looking forward to The Taking King expansion in a couple weeks.

I'm scheduled to run the Crota's End raid with my group tonight. This is the last thing in Destiny I haven't experienced at least once. I'm really looking forward to The Taking King expansion in a couple weeks.

Well I guess Act 2 of GoW will not be happening tonight. ;p

Well I guess Act 2 of GoW will not be happening tonight. ;p

It's still possible. I'm guessing we will be done with the Raid around 8:30ET. Depending on what time I meet up with friends tonight I might be able to run a little GoW after the raid if you are up for it.

Don't expect to go Raiding immediately upon the release of The Taken King..

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/31/9231567/destiny-the-taken-king-launch-day-raid

The first raid wasn't available on day one of Destiny either. It's kind of a weird choice but in reality I probably still won't be high enough level to play it by the time it is released. I'm vert close to hitting the current max level of 34 but it will take some time to get to 40 when Taken King comes out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...nt page)&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Spotlight

The new raid goes live on September 18th. A whole 3 days after The Taken King is going to be released. If they are only waiting 3 days I'm not sure why they wouldn't just make it live on release day. No one will be high enough level to run it on the 15th but only those who grind like crazy will be leveled by the 18th. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to me.

It has long been rumored that Destiny's "story" had significant changes from the reveal to the actual release, going from a full, rich story to basically no story whatsoever. While Bungie/Activision have never officially confirmed this, documents coming out from Marty O'Donnell's lawsuit against the company seem to basically confirm that yes, Destiny's story changed substantially. It was so drastic that it caused the game to be delayed an entire year. Still, even with a lack of a coherent story it didn't stop Destiny from being a massive success.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/07/destiny-lawsuit-papers-confirm-story-changed-substantially

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)