Destiny (XBone, PS4)

Anyone playing this on PS4 yet? My copy came in last night and I messed around with it for a little bit. I basically just went into missions solo and joined up with random people. In Borderlands people had to join your game to play with you. This could be friends or strangers from matchmaking. Destiny is a little different. I would just travel to the planet a mission takes place on and see that there are people off in different directions fighting enemies and running around. If you see someone going to the same place as you it's likely that they are doing the same mission. You can interact with them and choose to join up as a fire team.

You have to do the opening sequence solo but after that you can join with anyone. I didn't have a ton of time to play last night but I did 2 missions with strangers and 1 solo after the opening sequence. The first time someone came up to me and asked me to join their fire team and the second time I saw someone the same level as me and asked him to join my fire team. Both guys were using the mics and pretty cool. It wasn't my typical online gaming experience with strangers where its full of screaming and insults.

The typical mission structure seems to be an MMO style world where random people will sometimes be trying to kill the same enemies as you whether you join up with them or not. Then the end of the mission always has an instanced section where just you and your fire team are there and you no longer see anyone else. This is usually a boss fight or a huge onslaught of rushing enemies. When this happens respawning is restricted. As long as at least 1 person is still in the fight you can respawn but if everyone is down at the same time you have to go back to your previous checkpoint. This makes things a lot harder when you try to play solo.

Another difference between this and Borderlands is that the loot isn't shared. Both people see their own version of the loot box so it doesn't have the Borderlands effect of having to get to the loot first or you don't get anything. That being said, the loot is much more scarce here. It's not just popping out of every 3 or 4 enemies you kill and there aren't loot boxes all over the place. I think I have played 4 missions and only found 2 loot boxes so far. You are given random loot for completing pretty much every mission but the loot drive doesn't feel as addicting as it does in Borderlands and Diablo.

Anyways, I'm having an okay time playing with random people I jump in with but it would obviously be more fun if I had a group of friends playing. Anyone else here have this for PS4? I plan on playing tonight and over the weekend if anyone wants to try teaming up. I think I'm around level 3 or 4 right now if that matters.

I would also be up for some Diablo 3 co-op. Me and Stimpson have been talking about getting together but we haven't been on at the same time so far.

Reactions: jgags6
Anyone playing this on PS4 yet? My copy came in last night and I messed around with it for a little bit. I basically just went into missions solo and joined up with random people. In Borderlands people had to join your game to play with you. This could be friends or strangers from matchmaking. Destiny is a little different. I would just travel to the planet a mission takes place on and see that there are people off in different directions fighting enemies and running around. If you see someone going to the same place as you it's likely that they are doing the same mission. You can interact with them and choose to join up as a fire team.

You have to do the opening sequence solo but after that you can join with anyone. I didn't have a ton of time to play last night but I did 2 missions with strangers and 1 solo after the opening sequence. The first time someone came up to me and asked me to join their fire team and the second time I saw someone the same level as me and asked him to join my fire team. Both guys were using the mics and pretty cool. It wasn't my typical online gaming experience with strangers where its full of screaming and insults.

The typical mission structure seems to be an MMO style world where random people will sometimes be trying to kill the same enemies as you whether you join up with them or not. Then the end of the mission always has an instanced section where just you and your fire team are there and you no longer see anyone else. This is usually a boss fight or a huge onslaught of rushing enemies. When this happens respawning is restricted. As long as at least 1 person is still in the fight you can respawn but if everyone is down at the same time you have to go back to your previous checkpoint. This makes things a lot harder when you try to play solo.

Another difference between this and Borderlands is that the loot isn't shared. Both people see their own version of the loot box so it doesn't have the Borderlands effect of having to get to the loot first or you don't get anything. That being said, the loot is much more scarce here. It's not just popping out of every 3 or 4 enemies you kill and there aren't loot boxes all over the place. I think I have played 4 missions and only found 2 loot boxes so far. You are given random loot for completing pretty much every mission but the loot drive doesn't feel as addicting as it does in Borderlands and Diablo.

Anyways, I'm having an okay time playing with random people I jump in with but it would obviously be more fun if I had a group of friends playing. Anyone else here have this for PS4? I plan on playing tonight and over the weekend if anyone wants to try teaming up. I think I'm around level 3 or 4 right now if that matters.

I would also be up for some Diablo 3 co-op. Me and Stimpson have been talking about getting together but we haven't been on at the same time so far.
Well.. I'd be up to play.. if I had the right games.. ;p

Well.. I'd be up to play.. if I had the right games.. ;p

Too bad. It would be cool to get 3 or 4 Sat Guys together for co-op on either of those games.

On another note, I just checked Gamefly to see what my "keep it" price would be for Destiny. Once you are a subscriber for a certain amount of time you starting getting perks. One of those perks that I have is 10% off all used and digital purchases. The used price is $49.99. My 10% off brings it to $44.99. One of my other subscriber perks is $5 off coupons for used games. That would bring my total down to $39.99.

$39.99 used is a pretty great price considering that this is a super hyped up game that came out 3 days ago. Not only that but I'm the only one who has used it so it's essentially $39.99 for a new copy. If you choose to keep it they send you the original case, with all included manuals and codes. Not bad at all.

If I am still hooked on the long term loot grind when the other big fall games hit I will be checking out the "keep it" price again for sure. I'm just not sure it will hold my attention the way Borderlands and Diablo do though.

I've got the game King3pj. my name is jgags6. I probably won't be on until wednesday night, but send me a friend request, because I would too like to play with someone I know.. Im a level 10, just started playing.

I've got the game King3pj. my name is jgags6. I probably won't be on until wednesday night, but send me a friend request, because I would too like to play with someone I know.. Im a level 10, just started playing.

Done

Enjoying this quite a bit so far.

Me too. The game isn't perfect and the story is nonexistent but I like the combat and loot grind. I also like the PvP crucible mode. It's not exactly Halo multiplayer but I think it's pretty good.

One negative I have noticed is that there don't seem to be as many random people playing the same mission as me as there were in the early levels. I haven't been bumping into people to start a fire team with so I have just been taking on the majority of the missions solo. This was easy at first because my time in PvP and patrol missions has me 3 or 4 levels above what my available missions are rated at. The last 2 missions on the moon were pretty tough solo even though I was leveled up pretty well. I think I'm going to start having trouble beating these towards the end of the game if I can't find people to team up with.

Strangely there is no matchmaking except for PvP and strikes. I would have liked the ability to use matchmaking and find people of a similar level who are tying to play the same mission as me. The way it is now you have to run up to someone you see and ask them to join your fire team. The problem is that the people you see will be anywhere from level 1 to 26 and you have no idea which mission they are currently trying to play. It makes finding someone to join up with tough.

Also big level gaps can cause problems. I have a level 14 Titan. If I join up with a level 24 Warlock they are just going to kill everything in sight because they're so much stronger than me. If I join up with a level 4 Hunter they won't be any help.

I do like every mode of this game though. The strikes are harder boss fights where there actually is matchmaking. These are challenging and fun. I like running patrol missions on the vita while I watch the baseball. I also like the random events that pop up during those patrol missions that cause everyone in the area to run to one central point to work together.

I don't mind that the story isn't great because that's not really what I look for in a loot game. Diablo 3 has even less going on with its story than Destiny but you never hear people complain about that. I think a lot of people went into this expecting the next Halo and Destiny is definitely not that. I am having fun with it though. Just add the option to use matchmaking for all missions so us loners can find people to team up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I find it amusing that there's been one constant among many reviewers since the game came out being, "Yeah, the game is really so-so and kind of boring, but I can't stop playing it!" I may jump on this game next year when more content is available and more of the bugs are ironed out, but my fall release list is just too full. I'm still working on Wolfenstein: NO and Hyrule Warriors comes out next week.

I had some time to kill in a waiting room this morning so I downloaded the Destiny Companion app for iOS.

It's actually pretty cool. It has stats for basically every part of the game and you can easily compare them to your friends. It also lets you look at all your gear and see the stats there. I even read some of the grimmore cards to see lore that was never actually mentioned in the game.

This isn't something I will use all the time but it was interesting to look at while I was waiting for 45 minutes with nothing to do.

I agree with the companion app and I actually like this game quite a bit. I do think the story lacks, but the gameplay is great and the AI is pretty good. I also have a lot of fun working on my bounties and walking around killing bad guys on the planets. I also really like how armor and weapons can get upgraded and how you use all of your inventory in the crucible. We will see how much longer I continue playing bc Fifa comes out today and I usually get hooked on that for a couple of months.

I hit level 20 last night. For those that don't know, this is the max level you can get from earning XP. Once you get to level 20 you have a new stat category called light. You can get up to level 30 buy finding armor with high light stats.

I still have 3 or 4 missions remaining in the story but I don't care about that part too much. I'll finish it just because I'm so close but I'm having more fun with the crucible, strike missions, and random community events that pop up from time to time.

Now that I'm level 20 the heroic missions and weekly strikes are unlocked so I will get into those. I'd like to try out the raids but once again, Bungie chose not to include matchmaking. It seems like it would have been simple to use the same matchmaking they use for strikes. Supposedly these are really hard but I have seen it reported that this is the most interesting part of the game. I'll never have 6 friends playing Destiny at the recommend level 26 or higher so I'll never get to check these raids out unless I use gaming forums to find a clan to join.

I can understand some of the criticism this game gets but its gameplay and loot grind are addicting enough that it's the only game I want to play when I get home. Maybe that will change once I finish up the last few story missions but Bungie has already added lots of stuff to do just in the couple weeks since this game came out. The story is definitely not the most interesting part of this game so how well they continue to support the end game stuff is going to make a huge difference on this game's lasting appeal. So far they seem to be doing a good job.

I can keep this game for $40 but as of right now I'm planning on sending it back to Gamefly around October 20th in time to get Sunset Overdrive. I will definitely buy Destiny at some point but now that I have finished the meat of the game I figure I can wait for a Gamefly used sale or if nothing else I'm sure I will be able to get a great deal on it by Black Friday. I want to play the expansions and other end game content so it's a matter of when I buy the game, not if.

Bungie is offering a trial/demo of Destiny for all systems. They'll even allow you to keep your progress into the full game. Exactly what the trial/demo entails seems to be a mystery. Maybe I'll pick this up, even though it would literally be the THIRD time I've started Destiny (I played the Alpha and the Beta.) Also, while I do think this is a cool idea of a try before you buy, it does reek a LITTLE of desperation from Bungie.

What version should I get? I'm assuming more people have the PS4 version of this game?

http://www.bungie.net/de/Help/Article/12406

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)