Destiny (XBone, PS4)

Alondite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
US
Is anyone hyped for this game? I already know I'm pouring hundreds of hours into this come September.

Is anyone hyped for this game? I already know I'm pouring hundreds of hours into this come September.

I'm pretty excited for it myself. Destiny will probably be one of the rare console games I actually buy instead of renting from gamefly. If the reviews are good I'll probably be playing this day one on my PS4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I read this as, "Destiny will never be on the PC."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...aunch-on-PC-Because-it-Would-be-Too-Much-Work

I understand where they're coming from. Bungie is developing this on 4 systems, 3 of which they've NEVER developed on before, and they've never developed games on PC before (Halo 1 and 2 were ports by other companies.) Still sucks that I won't be able to try this out on my PC and get something better than the last gen consoles that I currently have. Guess I'll be adding this to my GF Queue for the 360 (Assuming they ever let me), as I can't imagine the PS3 will be the superior last-gen version.

I read this as, "Destiny will never be on the PC."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...aunch-on-PC-Because-it-Would-be-Too-Much-Work

I understand where they're coming from. Bungie is developing this on 4 systems, 3 of which they've NEVER developed on before, and they've never developed games on PC before (Halo 1 and 2 were ports by other companies.) Still sucks that I won't be able to try this out on my PC and get something better than the last gen consoles that I currently have. Guess I'll be adding this to my GF Queue for the 360 (Assuming they ever let me), as I can't imagine the PS3 will be the superior last-gen version.

That's too bad. I was planning on getting it for the PS4 because Sony will supposedly have some sort of exclusive content. Destiny looks similar to Borderlands from what I have seen so far. It looks like it has a different tone and setting but it's an online co-op loot shooter. To me, PC was always the best place to play the Borderlands series and Destiny seems like it would be a perfect fit for the PC.

You're right though. Everything they have said so far makes it sound like they are sticking to consoles. Not that it matters to me at this point, but I'm still pretty shocked we haven't seen a GTA V PC announcement. The game had record sales and all the other GTA games are available on PC. I really liked GTA V and would much rather have played it with improved PC performance. I don't see myself ever going back to replay it though.

Yeah I've given up on GTA V on PC also, but even if it did come out I wouldn't be picking it up until it was DRASTICALLY reduced in price, to like under $20.

Yeah I've given up on GTA V on PC also, but even if it did come out I wouldn't be picking it up until it was DRASTICALLY reduced in price, to like under $20.

It wouldn't be there at first but it will get to that price eventually on PC if they do decide to port it over. Rockstar seems to have lots of deep discounts on their PC games. Most of them are older but I routinely see GTA IV for $5-$7.

I like the part where they say it will take about 15-16 million copies sold to break even. As much as I'm looking forward to Destiny I don't see it coming near those numbers, at least not with the first game in the series. Here are some sales numbers from popular franchises that I can find with quick google searches. Some of these numbers come from official press releases and some of them are estimates from sites like VG chartz that don't get the complete picture but it still gives you a reference point.

Uncharted - 17 million sold as of April 2012. That's a nice number but it includes the entire franchise's sales numbers. Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 on PS3 and Golden Abyss on Vita. Sony released this number about a year after Uncharted 3 launched right before they were getting ready to put out the GOTY edition.

The Last of Us - 6 million sold.

Halo 3 - 11.83 million sold

Call of Duty Ghosts 14 million sold

Assassin's Creed IV 10 million sold

Gears of War 3 6.1 million sold

Most of these are established franchises and not a single game on that list has hit their 15-16 million sold break even point. I'm sure COD Ghosts will if it hasn't already with digital sales and future sales as the price drops. I threw The Last of Us in there because it was a new IP that won just about everyone's GOTY award and was seen as a huge success. It's a different situation because that game is a PS3 exclusive while Destiny is multiplatform but it couldn't even hit half of the breakeven point they are saying Destiny will have.

Now, the glaring exception to all of this is GTA V. Rockstar announced that they sold 32.5 million copies. A new IP like Destiny will never touch those kinds of numbers though.

You never know. Maybe it'll just be THAT good...
:pray2:

And FYI, the damn game still isn't available on last gen consoles on Gamefly. I finally emailed GF asking WTF is going on with that.

Update: Response from GF:

Thank you for contacting GameFly. We will update our site soon with September releases. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

SO...I can add games that don't even have release dates yet, like Prey 2, but I can't add this yet. I can add Advanced Warfare for every system but not this, and that comes out in November. I could push back with these facts but I don't feel like making this guy's day difficult. Maybe I'll circle back if this doesn't get resolved by June 1.

Whatever it's not a huge deal but I know that GF allocates priority based on who adds the game to their queue first, and since there's likely to be high demand for this I just want to do what I can to ensure I get a copy, as I don't see there being a PS4 price drop between now and then.

Last edited:
Here's my impressions from the Alpha..

For one, I'm shocked that they've released an Alpha of this. Bungie is no stranger to allowing Beta testing, but ALPHA? That's a bit extreme. They point out the fact that some stuff may not be completed. Well, it would be good if you'd say explicitly what that stuff is, like if a particular objective can't be filled or whatever.

Anyways, there's not TOO much to say about the game. It gives little to no story structure. Apparently though Earth is in shambles and space fighting is where it's at. Gameplay-wise, it feels like Halo... like to the point of almost insulting. I'm sure many of us expected the game to have at least some of the same shades, but this is... well I can't think of the right word. I mean hell, they even copied the shotgun look, animation, and sound from the Halo series. Check out this clip I recorded and tell me (people familiar with Halo) that you don't get at least a FEW flashbacks of the Flood..

When you're not fighting, you for some reason go into a 3rd person mode as you walk around I suppose hub-like towns, as seen here. I couldn't tell if I was playing Destiny or Mass Effect.

Still, the action and other gameplay is perfectly serviceable, so I guess I can't be too harsh, and again it is still an ALPHA. However, from what I've seen so far, I don't see this game making back all they money they're predicting it cost and required to recoup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts