Destiny (XBone, PS4)

Destiny 2 open beta dates announced, sorta. The video doesn't give much info in terms of actual dates.

From video description:

Beta early access period is July 18-20, 2017 on PS4™ system and July 19-20, 2017 on Xbox One. Open Beta period for all consoles is July 21-23, 2017. PC open beta and early access to follow in August. See destinythegame.com/beta for details. Limited time only, while beta codes last, at participating retailers.

You know, I get using early access to a beta as a selling point for a pre-order, but I think that if you're going to do such a thing, make it an exclusive deal. NO ONE else except those that pre-ordered should get the early access. But once again, just like last time, people (including myself) have been getting access to the beta without having to buy anything, which I think cheapens the selling point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset at the fact that I got an early access code and thus get to play today, but I just think it's weird and almost deceiving. Hell, WWE wrestler The Big Show (AKA Paul Wright) who happens to be a big Destiny fan got codes for people to redeem!

So did Xavier Woods. To be fair, he has a gaming YouTube channel, but it still seems like it cheapens the pre-order deal with this.

Yeah, and I still haven't received my code even though I did preorder.
OK that's a bit screwed up. The game goes live at 2 pm EST and you still don't have a code. Also I'm pretty sure that all you download is a client that then will connect and download the actual game because according to the store listing when I downloaded remotely, it was only like 354 MB.

If you are desperate for a code and don't mind jumping through some hoops you can apparently get one for free by doing this:

How to Get Into the 'Destiny 2' Beta Without a Code or Pre-Order

OK that's a bit screwed up. The game goes live at 2 pm EST and you still don't have a code. Also I'm pretty sure that all you download is a client that then will connect and download the actual game because according to the store listing when I downloaded remotely, it was only like 354 MB.

If you are desperate for a code and don't mind jumping through some hoops you can apparently get one for free by doing this:

How to Get Into the 'Destiny 2' Beta Without a Code or Pre-Order

I'm thinking it might be because I set Battle.net as my primary platform for Destiny 2 and the PC beta isn't starting yet. The whole reason I did that was because the same web page said I would receive an email closer to the start of the beta asking me to pick which platform I wanted to play the beta on. I didn't think I was locking myself into the PC for the beta because the web page clearly said I wasn't.

I also have my Xbox account linked so you would think at the very least I would get the option to play there even though I want to play the beta on PS4. I still haven't received an email telling me to pick which platform I want to play the beta on and I'm not seeing a way to do it on the website.

Edit: I got it to work. I never did receive the email telling me to pick a platform. Instead I tried to redeem the same code again and it said it was already redeemed to my account. From here it gave me a link to click on and pick my beta platform. I have my code now.

king3pj and I tried out Destiny 2 last night. The first 45 minutes or so is me playing through the opening campaign section (badly) while the second part is the two of us playing through a strike (again, badly.)

king3pj and I tried out Destiny 2 last night. The first 45 minutes or so is me playing through the opening campaign section (badly) while the second part is the two of us playing through a strike (again, badly.)

Hopefully there is an open beta on PC before release so I can make sure there aren't glaring performance problems. I currently have the PC version preordered with Amazon's 20% off preorders for Prime members. That's where I want to play it, and probably will end up but Bungie hasn't released a PC game since 1997. I think they will get the job done but between their lack of PC experience and the PC version coming out a month later I have doubts.

I also have a couple friends who play Destiny on Xbox and the PS4 has exclusive weapons and strikes. When they first announced the PC version it was a no brainer to me but now I'm not 100% sure which platform I want to play it on.

This made me laugh:

upload_2017-7-20_8-45-25.jpeg

Reactions: king3pj
Been playing the Beta since the 28th, had early release beta on BNET, it was fun, I love the game play and looking forward to the story mode, did the beta strike and it was fun, the boss fight was much easier than I thought, but of course its just beta and expect challenging content down the road.

Overall D2 has delivered, I preordered my copy for the PC since I have a high end gaming PC that I built last year. This bad boy can run D2 at 140-200 fps on high settings.
I plan on getting a 2nd video card to max out the settings.
I traded in old xbox 360 and PS3 and few Xbox One old games to get the game+season pass. so not a bad deal.

Yeah, the PC version is very solid. It looks good and it runs great. I also played the beta on a PS4 and 120 FPS on PC feels a hell of a lot better than 30 FPS on PS4 Pro.

Polygon posted an interesting opinion piece stating that you should buy Destiny 2 on the PS4 and not PC.

You should buy Destiny 2 on the PS4

Click-baity headline aside, the author does go into some good points about why the experience on PC may not be as great as we're all expecting it to be. It's a bit of a long read but it definitely made me go from considering a pre-order after console release reviews to now waiting until PC reviews come out. And it's NOT just console fanboyism talking or basic "Bungie games are better on consoles" arguments, but it is stuff from a guy who actually knows about the Destiny experience.

All I know is that I can't go back to 30 FPS for Destiny. If it turns out that the overall experience outside of FPS/Graphics is tangibly inferior on PC versus consoles then I'm just going to skip Destiny 2. It's not like I'm short on games at the moment, and if I want to invest in another time sink I'd likely be better off FINALLY firing up my GOTY edition of The Witcher 3.

Polygon posted an interesting opinion piece stating that you should buy Destiny 2 on the PS4 and not PC.

You should buy Destiny 2 on the PS4

Click-baity headline aside, the author does go into some good points about why the experience on PC may not be as great as we're all expecting it to be. It's a bit of a long read but it definitely made me go from considering a pre-order after console release reviews to now waiting until PC reviews come out. And it's NOT just console fanboyism talking or basic "Bungie games are better on consoles" arguments, but it is stuff from a guy who actually knows about the Destiny experience.

All I know is that I can't go back to 30 FPS for Destiny. If it turns out that the overall experience outside of FPS/Graphics is tangibly inferior on PC versus consoles then I'm just going to skip Destiny 2. It's not like I'm short on games at the moment, and if I want to invest in another time sink I'd likely be better off FINALLY firing up my GOTY edition of The Witcher 3.

I read the article but I'm keeping my PC pre-order. There are only two factors that make me even think about the PS4 version. The fact that it's coming out 6 weeks earlier and the exclusive content. The benefits of the PC version far outweigh those benefits for me though. The exclusive content would be nice but I still played over 160 hours of Destiny 1 on Xbox without the PS4 content. I'm sure there will be more content in the PC/Xbox versions of Destiny 2 than I have time to play too.

I'm not worried about controller players having aim assist or mouse players being stronger with precision weapons that are slow firing but do a lot more damage. First, Destiny is primarily a co-op game, not competitive. Second, you could make those complaints about almost any PC shooter. Of course a good sniper in a PC shooter who uses a mouse will be better than someone trying to use a controller.

I get that dancing is a "thing" in Destiny but I'd never think to use it as a pivotal part of marketing like this ad does, courtesy of ???

Destiny 2 PC specs have been revealed. Honestly, they're laughable, in that they're laughably low. Storage wasn't set yet but the recommended specs are almost below what my old machine is. Hell, they're recommended processor is an i5 2400, which is slower than the i5 2500k, which I have, and is also over 6 and a half years old.

Destiny 2 PC specs, graphics options, Battle.net accounts and everything else we know

I'm not complaining. I'd love to see a well developed/optimized version of Destiny 2. The Beta ran GREAT on my machine, and I can't wait to see how they're going to improve things based on all the user feedback.

Destiny 2 PC specs have been revealed. Honestly, they're laughable, in that they're laughably low. Storage wasn't set yet but the recommended specs are almost below what my old machine is. Hell, they're recommended processor is an i5 2400, which is slower than the i5 2500k, which I have, and is also over 6 and a half years old.

Destiny 2 PC specs, graphics options, Battle.net accounts and everything else we know

I'm not complaining. I'd love to see a well developed/optimized version of Destiny 2. The Beta ran GREAT on my machine, and I can't wait to see how they're going to improve things based on all the user feedback.

Yep,the specs are pretty easy to hit but they also did the work of including some pretty demanding settings if you have the hardware to run them. That's probably the best possible situation for gamers. People with older hardware can play the game and people with high end PCs still get great visuals and high framerates.

Destiny 2 topped the Japanese sales charts, but given how many units were sold it wasn't that great of an accomplishment, not to mention it sold LESS than the original did on its opening week.

https://kotaku.com/destiny-2-is-the-biggest-selling-game-in-japan-1814075546

This isn't all that surprising to me. I thought I remembered reading that FPS games don't typically do well in Japan. It does make you wonder why people there bought the first game though.

In other parts of the world it seems like Destiny 2 is doing very well. According to Activision, it had the biggest launch week of any console game released in 2017, it broke the all time record for day one sales on PSN, and the game had over 1 million concurrent players 8 days in a row.
Destiny 2 had the biggest “console game launch week” of the year, largest ever day 1 sales on PS Store

It looks like their are some caveats there to me though. They mentioned that it had the biggest launch week of any console game released in 2017. Because they were careful to put the word console in there it probably means something that released on PC in addition to console probably sold better. It's kind of a strange distinction to make when there is still a PC version of Destiny 2 coming next month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)