Detroit MPEG4 HD Now Online!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep they could mirror them but then folks still on MPEG2 would still be stuck with HD-Lite.

Unfortunately, without new channels added to the mix, HD-Lite will be good enough for a lot of folks in NYC and LA.

like some of the other folks in the detroit area, I also am confirmed for saturday morning, I will try to put some pictures up (if the others dont beat me to it) but the way, how do we post pictures on line.

Wow, those lucky in the Detroit area actually got a date & time for the install!? The only commit DirecTV would provide me is that "someone will contact you within 72 hours" to schedule the install! Still shooting for Friday or Saturday, but nothing firm as of yet.

charper1 said:
MPEG4 may not inherently increase the PQ but what it does is to allow more bandwidth and the bit rates to be pumped up resulting in better PQ, which is what will happen.

Also, are you saying that the reports of Detroit HD LIL up and running are false?

To clear things up a bit, the MPEG4 feed is ready to go but as of now it isn't being broadcast. D* is upgrading equip before the signal goes "live". So if someone is in Detroit and has already been upgraded to the new dish and an H20 they will receive the same services as everyone else. Then sometime mid-November they will be able to view their locals in HD.

(To clear things up a bit, the MPEG4 feed is ready to go but as of now it isn't being broadcast. D* is upgrading equip before the signal goes "live". So if someone is in Detroit and has already been upgraded to the new dish and an H20 they will receive the same services as everyone else. Then sometime mid-November they will be able to view their locals in HD)

this makes no sense at all ,silly actually.detroit is the beta test,before going prime time.mpeg4 will be very live in detroit long before nov.15

charper1 said:
What about it Scott? Do your reports confirm or deny the existence of true DET HD LIL?

It was up last weekend, as I know a few people who saw it as they were getting trained on the Dish installs.

I guess we will find out tommorow as a bunch of SatelliteGuys members are scheduled for MPEG4 installs tommorow. :)

For those of you getting installed tommorow keep watching SatelliteGuys as Iam going to post a little contest so that you might be able to make some CA$H. :)

Now what I have learned is that D* just started the MPEG4 feed yesterday. But it was originally scheduled for mid-November as of Oct 19th. This info was just updated at work yesterday.

Well, surprise surprise. I just received a call from the 3rd party company that was scheduled to do the install tomorrow cancelling because they are out of the new 5 lnb dishes.

They claim they will be receiving a "truckload" of them on Tuesday, so I rescheduled for a week from tomorrow. I had a feeling it was too good to be true.

br16 said:
Well, surprise surprise. I just received a call from the 3rd party company that was scheduled to do the install tomorrow cancelling because they are out of the new 5 lnb dishes.

They claim they will be receiving a "truckload" of them on Tuesday, so I rescheduled for a week from tomorrow. I had a feeling it was too good to be true.

I got a call tonight from Michigan Microtech saying they don't have the 5-LNB dish in. I have been rescheduled for Wednesday morning.

Proc said:
I got a call tonight from Michigan Microtech saying they don't have the 5-LNB dish in. I have been rescheduled for Wednesday morning.

Well Proc, I guess I'm not the only one. I called Directv to see if they used any other installers in SE MI, but Michigan Microtech is the only one.

Let us know if you get postponed again.

Now I do not know if they are on or not, and I see your argument, but even on that same page where the local HD channel assignments are empty it says:

"HD Local Channels:
High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are also available in your area. To receive them you will need an HD system."

So one could also argue that they just haven't finished the webpage and that doesn't mean that they are not on; but I see your point also.

br16 said:
Well Proc, I guess I'm not the only one. I called Directv to see if they used any other installers in SE MI, but Michigan Microtech is the only one.

Let us know if you get postponed again.

This is exactly why I want to install my dish myself. I dont want to have to wait for a scheduled installer to show up at my house. Not to mention having to take a day off from work for this only to have them cancel at the last minute. I can see HUGE logistical nightmares for D* if they force every one of their customers to have the dish installed rather than do it themselves. I understand that not everyone is capable of doing an install. I also understand that alot of the people on this board are installers and therefore not interested in having people do self-installs, but many people are perfectly capable of installing a dish and don't need an installer. I personally have a very expensive after-market dish that I'm sure they are making an upgrade kit for the new satellites. I can say that I'm on the verge of going with cable anyways due to frustration with D*'s HD content. I think there are a number of other customers out there that feel the same way. This is just one more nail in D*'s coffin. Just my 2 cents.

I think there are a number of other customers out there that feel the same way.

I am one of them. My dish is on a mast on my terrace. I don't even have to get on a ladder. Just take the old one off and plop the new one on. Why this should take an installer is just beyond me.

you guys dont understand how hard this thing is to put together,let alone dial it in!!D* wants all of there equipment installed correctly the first time,that way it cuts down on frustrated customers and service calls.You know how many self installs i,ve had to bring up to par?Alot,that were mounted in front of trees and such.And you will need a bigger mast for the new dish also,about 2" diameter.

lurch said:
you guys dont understand how hard this thing is to put together,let alone dial it in!!D* wants all of there equipment installed correctly the first time,that way it cuts down on frustrated customers and service calls.You know how many self installs i,ve had to bring up to par?Alot,that were mounted in front of trees and such.And you will need a bigger mast for the new dish also,about 2" diameter.

While I agree that not everyone can install the dish and I am speaking without seeing the new dish, there are some of us that are capable of installing equipment like this ourselves. I originally installed my first round dish without any trouble whatsoever. First on my deck and later on my house. I then moved and had "professional installation" done because I also needed some new cables added into the walls. The installer did an adequate job of pointing the dish (signals in the low to mid 80s) but I was able to reposition the dish and get mid to high 90s.

So when I upgraded to an original triple sat dish, I did it myself again and had the same mid-high 90s results with a little work. Later when I upgraded to HD, DirecTV sent a "professional installer" and that guy brought a new phase 3 dish. The best he could do was 50s on the 110 sat and he told me that's where those signals were supposed to be in my area. So after a day of frustrating HD "searching for signals" I went up on the roof and repositioned the dish. A little tweaking and I had mid-high 90s on all three sats.

The point of all of this is that while it may be difficult, it's certainly not rocket science and while I'm sure there are EXCELLENT installers out there that could install a dish much more efficiently than I, there are also plenty of "professional installers" that I would rather not have at my house. I can assure the quality or take full responsibility for the install if I do it myself. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts