Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Getting reports that DirecTV has switched on the MPEG4 and is now serving Detroit with High Defition LIL service!

Here is an ad that appeared yesterday in a Detroit paper

Attachments

• directv1.JPG
    directv1.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 3,476
riffjim4069 said:
As a native Detroiter I can honestly reply, "Of course, who in the heck would actually live in Detroit City these days!" :D Anyway, I'm sure Scott meant to say Detroit. ;)

Detroit was quite picturesque yesterday, with every freeway under construction for the Super Bowl, a 5-alarm warehouse fire, and the Lions losing at Ford Field.... :D

If I get contacted for the upgrade, I will post it here.

-Darren (proc), in Motown

hancox said:
I corrected our (formerly) esteemed leader :)
Whoops sorry about that, not in the best of health today, having another bout with the dredded Kidney Stones which is almost an anual tradition for me. :(

kidney schmidney, so much for a pub exclusive item for a few days...

Ya know, "See detroit like never before" isn't exactly a great tagline from where i'm sitting...

Buckle your seatbelts kids, the main event is about to begin...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Whoops sorry about that, not in the best of health today, having another bout with the dredded Kidney Stones which is almost an anual tradition for me. :(

I feel for ya Scott, just remember if it gets bad enough just bite the bullet and go in for the ole lithotripsy. Its totally noninvasive and the drugs are great! Also your in and out the same day. You'll be bruised, but it's better than the blade and quicker than just trying to pass one on your own. Either way good luck!

Now, back to topic. I know this is a dumb question, but when HD LIL comes in full force will I still be able to keep my distant east coast feeds (i live in DFW)? Normally I wouldn't care, but I have noticed some problems i.e. my local nbc affliate for some reason wasn't showing a sitcom in HD so I turned to the east coast feed and there it was (the show was my name is earl, i'm a big fan of jason lee ever since mallrats). This has nothing to do with D* per se and everything to do with my local affliate for some bizarre reason falling down on the job.

I'm in the DFW area as well.

I think the rule will still apply, if the station is O&O, then you get the distant network feed as well.

ocnier said:
will I still be able to keep my distant east coast feeds (i live in DFW)?

Would like to know also. Has been nice being able to watch several different football games without Sunday Ticket. Yesterday was able to watch some of the Tampa/Miami game in addition to the Cowboy/Giants game. Then able to watch the Jets/Bills in addition to the Pats/Broncos game in the late game. Only Jets/Bills was not in HD. :)

Noticed that with our NBC station that this is very common that they don't turn the HD feed on. The USC Notre Dame game on Saturday they did not have HD but when I switched to NBC on 82 there it was in HD.

now the real questions.. how bad (or good) will mpeg4 look?? is the h20 a piece of crap like the h10?? is the h20 interactive?? ota still possible with the h20?? wheres the hd dvr?? when will we see more national hd channels in mpeg2 or 4??? and when will those of us not in the top 12,15,24 or however many markets they decide get the mpeg4???

ahh so many questions - no answers yet :)

Pretty sure the H20 does have OTA capability, and it is also supposed to be interactive. As for how mpeg4 will look, that will depend on how good the D* mpeg 4 encoders are. Since the H20 has OTA support, it will be easy to compare the D* mpeg 4 picture directly with the mpeg 2 from the local station.

riffjim4069 said:
As a native Detroiter I can honestly reply, "Of course, who in the heck would actually live in Detroit City these days!" :D Anyway, I'm sure Scott meant to say Detroit. ;)
As former Detroiter, that actually lived in side the city limits- 3rd and Canfield for those that remember the Old Vernor's plant, I would say Hockeytown :D

Tonedeaf said:
Then able to watch the Jets/Bills in addition to the ......Only Jets/Bills was not in HD. :)

It was blackout for the the rest of the country outside NY area because not a sellout so how did you get this? NFL even said it was on the list of blackout games due to no sellout 48-24 hours before kickoff.

Nice to see that they picked the detroit area for testing...I wonder what made us first, anyways I will be looking forward to the call from Directv down the road, it will be nice to put the rabbit ears away for HD.

Nice to see that some idiot at AVS decided to call D* anyway, not reading what was posted here.

Neutron said:
Nice to see that some idiot at AVS decided to call D* anyway, not reading what was posted here.

D* ran an add in The Detroit Free Press advertising new HD Locals in Detroit..

They are going to be getting all kinds of calls form existing Detroit subs regardless of what anyone reads on this message board..

You honestly expect a posting on a message board is going to prevent people form calling and inquiring about the add D* had in The Detroit Free Press?

That sounds pretty unrealistic to me :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts