Detroit MPEG4 HD Now Online!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks..I am looking forward to it, when I get the date. I will try to provide as much info and reviews as I can!. Oh if anyone is looking to change their TIVO (non HD) receiver to the new directv version. The guy on the install line, said he did not see any coming soon?

satjay said:
I was informed by Directv that I will be contacted within 72 hours for an install date on the new dish.

Please provide pics!!!!

I know this has been covered before, but with the new dish, is HD picture also to improve?

Thanks

Jason

Once this is all said and done, this should allow Directv to boost the HD resolution, once all the existing HD is converted to MPEG4.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Nope, it just lets you see two more satellites. The PQ will be the same.

Scott, you dont think theres any chance they will up the bit rates and stop downrezzing 1080i content with the new satts?

I thought we were all holding out hope that this was a possibility?

For the existing content, no I dont see them doing anything with the bitrate for the time being, however with the MPEG4 channels they could use higher bitrate because of the benefits of the increased compression technology that MPEG4 holds.

No word if they are doing that yet though.

I just got off the phone with D*.

This upgrade/swap from the H10 (or equiv.) receiver to the H20 is so brand, spanking new, so much so, that the supervisors on duty convened while I was on the phone to read the "memo" they had just received this week. I was told that the H20's and new, 5-LNB dishes are in, but aren't available to swap yet. They could sell me it for $279, but told me to wait until the swap is in place. They suggested calling back early next week when they would have more details and apologized as they don't have the swap/installation plan ready yet. They are aware that Detroit is the beta market, that the equipment is in and that the most likely time for the rollout/swap here in Detroit for existing customers will be early November. They wouldn't let me order the new equipment, but again, said to check back early next week.

An Idea!

My wife says I'm nuts but....
I am in the Detroit DMA with the 10-250. I will not be scheduled until the new HD-DVR is ready next year.

What if I order a H20 with rebate from VE and get the upgraded dish now.
The advantages I see are:
1. Get dish installed before the weather goes bad
2. When the new HD-DVR comes out I can switch it quickly.
3. I have an extra component input so I can use the dvr for recording OTA now and watch Detroit stations in HD on the H20.

What are the disadvantages of this plan? Am I missing something that will cost me?

Still after all the posts Scott & Robert have made, that are basically begging & pleading users NOT to do so, users are still calling DirecTV themselves?

The general number you call into is NOT even the same department and/or division that is going to handle the swap, let alone know anything past some general office hearsay.

DO NOT call DirecTV CSRs asking about your swap! Their specially trained swap staff will CALL YOU when it is your turn. Does it get any easier than that?

I mean geez, I want mine just as bad, but be glad you guys are first, so why try to screw up the works for Scott and other people, and thusly screw up future info gathering and sharing for the rest of us.

No one here called D* and mentioned this site. I know I didn't. And FWIW, the equipment is in. What is the harm in asking for it? D* even told me they were glad I called as it gave the supervisors time to huddle up and get their proverbial s*** together. (I sent you a message to discuss this further).

charper1 said:
Still after all the posts Scott & Robert have made, that are basically begging & pleading users NOT to do so, users are still calling DirecTV themselves?

The general number you call into is NOT even the same department and/or division that is going to handle the swap, let alone know anything past some general office hearsay.

DO NOT call DirecTV CSRs asking about your swap! Their specially trained swap staff will CALL YOU when it is your turn. Does it get any easier than that?

I mean geez, I want mine just as bad, but be glad you guys are first, so why try to screw up the works for Scott and other people, and thusly screw up future info gathering and sharing for the rest of us.

My feeling on it now is since it has been advertised in the newspapers then DirecTV should be ready for some phone calls.

If it was only posted on SatelliteGuys I would say hold off, but now that they are advertising it, then I say go for it and give them a call. You might not get anywhere, but then again you might. Its up to you if you want to waste the time or not. ;)

Well now that you have said the go ahead is OK and doesn't leave your "cheese hanging in the wind" them by all means call. I am sure IF they setup a "special" group to call out, people that call in may actually frustrate themselves, but at minimum they MIGHT get bumped up a few spots in the pecking order so to speak.

Kentstater72 said:
My wife says I'm nuts but....
I am in the Detroit DMA with the 10-250. I will not be scheduled until the new HD-DVR is ready next year.

What if I order a H20 with rebate from VE and get the upgraded dish now.
The advantages I see are:
1. Get dish installed before the weather goes bad
2. When the new HD-DVR comes out I can switch it quickly.
3. I have an extra component input so I can use the dvr for recording OTA now and watch Detroit stations in HD on the H20.

What are the disadvantages of this plan? Am I missing something that will cost me?

Whenever I purchased a HR10-250, I was originally planning on selling my Hughes HTL-HD receiver (to offset the cost of the HR10-250), but I held on to it figuring that I could get another (back-up) HD receiver (or use it for MPEG-4 national channels while I use the HR10-250 for OTA HD) whenever DirecTV converts their HD users to MPEG-4.

However, with DirecTV offering an H20 for free after rebate, I see no reason why I should hang on to my HTL-HD, unless the DVR rebate interferes with the HD rebate, but then by the time DirecTV converts their users over to MPEG-4 next year, that probably won't affect me... of course, I'd like to be in a different location next year, and then with the lack of TiVo, and if I have a choice other than Dish Network, I might not be interested in DirecTV.

~Alan

charper1 said:

Oh please...

I said it before, and Ill say it again..

Does anyone really think that some message from a stranger on a public message board is going to stop anyone form calling?

Pretty absurd if you ask me..

Someone needs to pinch themselves...Wake up!

Since the ad was placed by ABC Warehouse, a Detroit-area retailer, (and not by DirecTV) it might make sense to check directly with ABC. Below is a list of ABC Warehouse stores in the Detroit area.

I have spoken to several and none has any new MPEG-4 boxes or dishes actually in stock now.

I was told the arrival dates range from "next week" to "late next month".

Despite the fact the ABC Warehouse ad specifically says "new residential customers only", all the ABC people I spoke with said they would gladly sell (and install) the new MPEG-4 receivers and dishes for current DirecTV customers.

But they seemed to be not at all sure when they would actually have any receivers or dishes to install. Anyhow, if you live in the Detroit area, try your local ABC Warehouse for more info:

ABC Warehouse
27200 Joy Rd, Redford, MI (313) 937-2100
ABC Warehouse
15253 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI (313) 584-5300
ABC Warehouse
8561 E 10 Mile Rd, Center Line, MI (586) 755-9090
ABC Warehouse
18605 Eureka Rd, Southgate, MI (734) 283-9400
ABC Warehouse
24725 Southfield Rd, Southfield, MI (248) 557-3570
ABC Warehouse
244 W Maple Rd, Troy, MI (248) 362-5151
ABC Warehouse
35200 S Gratiot Ave, Clinton Twp, MI (586) 791-1000
ABC Warehouse
29563 Orchard Lake Rd, Farmington Hills, MI (248) 539-0990
ABC Warehouse
41690 Ford Rd, Canton, MI (800) 722-3333
ABC Warehouse
15477 Hall Rd, Macomb, MI (586) 247-7710
ABC Warehouse
43606 W Oaks Dr, Novi, MI (248) 348-2988
ABC Warehouse
1445 N Rochester Rd, Rochester Hills, MI (248) 656-9700
ABC Warehouse
2455 Elizabeth Lake Rd, Waterford, MI (248) 683-1660
ABC Warehouse
51600 Gratiot Ave, Chesterfield, MI (586) 948-2759
ABC Warehouse
890 W Eisenhower Pkwy, Ann Arbor, MI (734) 669-0200
ABC Warehouse
8540 W Grand River Ave, Brighton, MI (810) 229-2130
A B C Appliance Warehouse Utica
48825 Van Dyke Ave (586) 739-1010
Shelby Township, MI 48317
ABC Appliance Warehouse
1 W Silverdome Industrial Park, Pontiac, MI (248) 355-4222

charper1 said:
...... Their (My) specially trained swap staff will CALL YOU when it is your turn. Does it get any easier than that?

I think I told my wife something similar to this! :yes :D

guffy1 said:
Oh please... I said it before, and Ill say it again.. Does anyone really think that some message from a stranger on a public message board is going to stop anyone form calling? Pretty absurd if you ask me.. Someone needs to pinch themselves...Wake up!

I think what it really boils down to, is a matter of respect to the man running the board and getting out there to dig up what he can to pass it along to us. So why not just PLEASE RESPECT the requests that are made; regardless, as not to burn any bridges he may have built.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)