Detroit MPEG4 HD Now Online!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well if the new dish is indeed 2" I will cancel Directv and go back to cable. This thing is shaping up to be a total Cluster F. I have not been convinced that D* is going to do anything to better picture quality other than offer new receivers and then throw a few more channels up.

As Jay said, there may be some incompetent people out there, but I was able to pull in all 3 sats myself with signals in the 90's.

When D* is putting up new birds, upgrading dishes and receivers, is this really the time to complain about their service?

sltmag said:
Well if the new dish is indeed 2" I will cancel Directv and go back to cable. This thing is shaping up to be a total Cluster F. I have not been convinced that D* is going to do anything to better picture quality other than offer new receivers and then throw a few more channels up.

If you are concerned about PQ, why would you want to go back to cable, with its basic under 100 channels, in grainy analog format? I have basic cable through our Homeowners Association and D*, on my own. No matter what D* does with it's new satellites, it has to be better than the cable's grainy analog basics.

lou_do said:
If you are concerned about PQ, why would you want to go back to cable, with its basic under 100 channels, in grainy analog format? I have basic cable through our Homeowners Association and D*, on my own. No matter what D* does with it's new satellites, it has to be better than the cable's grainy analog basics.
Cable systems are starting to roll out digital simulcast. They mirror their analog channels on digital channels so folks with digtial STB's automatically get the digital, not analog, channel. Except for price, DBS is starting to loose any advantage that they once had over cable.

rad said:
Cable systems are starting to roll out digital simulcast. They mirror their analog channels on digital channels so folks with digtial STB's automatically get the digital, not analog, channel. Except for price, DBS is starting to loose any advantage that they once had over cable.

Interesting, hadn't heard about that. It would be a big improvement to cable around here if they did that.

sltmag said:

As Jay said, there may be some incompetent people out there, but I was able to pull in all 3 sats myself with signals in the 90's.

My point exactly. This new dish may indeed be difficult to install... but I highly doubt you're going to need an electrical engineering degree to install it. I have a signal meter. I can point a dish. They are going to make the dish as easy as they possibly can to align. I mean, come on guys... we're aiming a dish, not launching a rocket to mars. I don't think that I should be FORCED to pay someone $50 to do something I can do for myself. Plus, at least for me, it's going to cost MORE than $50 because I'll probably have to take a day off from work to babysit the installer. Also, when this finally is available in my area, it would be nice to be able to just go pick it up and install it and not have to wait for someone to come and install it for me. Especially because I live in a smaller town, it would probably take quite a while for an installer to come to me. He would be busy with the big city before my town.

Unless they give you guys an installation test, how can D* determine who is and who isn't capable of self-installs...I'm sure everyone who self-installed THOUGHT they could do it right...

Purogamer said:
Unless they give you guys an installation test, how can D* determine who is and who isn't capable of self-installs...I'm sure everyone who self-installed THOUGHT they could do it right...

The 3 LNB superdish from E* is a challange even for installers. Once you start mixing DBS and FSS LNB's on a single dish, alignment becomes critical. It's going to take a while for installers to figure out the tricks to aligning this 3 headed monster.

Edit - Sorry, I was looking at multiple threads, I'll reposst the connection specific questions somewhere else.

JPointerWI said:
The 3 LNB superdish from E* is a challange even for installers. Once you start mixing DBS and FSS LNB's on a single dish, alignment becomes critical. It's going to take a while for installers to figure out the tricks to aligning this 3 headed monster.

Edit - Sorry, I was looking at multiple threads, I'll reposst the connection specific questions somewhere else.

ok I admit, there are a significant number of people who are incapable of or simply don't wish to install the dish, but I doubt most of those people are here on this board. Most people here I would suspect have been experienced with D* for many years. I've installed many dishes for myself and quite a few other people w/o ever a problem. I've seen the hack jobs questionable "professional" installers have done. I think that there is a large group of hobbyists on here that are perfectly capable of installing this new dish. Somehow I've a feeling that the "training" that installers will receive will be nothing more than a video showing how to install the dish. I can watch a video. seems to me there is a sentiment of making this sound more complicated that it really will be w/o even having any experience with this new dish. I think it's not on purpose, but many of the posters here are professional installers and naturally feel, due to their own experiences, that most people can't install a dish. I don't mean for this to be insulting to installers, I just think that there is a large group of people capable of installing this and they should be allowed to try. If they fail, the responsibility should be on them to find an installer to fix it.

NEw Dtv 5 dish lnb

More than likely dtv will not allow self installation of the H20 and new dish. If you were to get a tivo or other dtv receiver from a retailer unless it is a replacement dtv receiver most retailers do not allow self installs.

Jayt1989 said:
ok I admit, there are a significant number of people who are incapable of or simply don't wish to install the dish, but I doubt most of those people are here on this board.

There's a BIG difference between being able to do a self install and wishing to do so. I've peaked my dishes in the past but at this point in my life I'm not breaking out the ladder in garbage weather when I can wait a few days and let a pro do it. The important part of getting a professional install is to remember you don't have to sign the paperwork and pay for the install until YOU are satisfied. If you know you got mid 90's on all 3 sat's before don't let the installer go until you have in the 90's on the new install. Most installers precall the day before to confirm your appointment. Let them know upfront that you're a power user who's very demanding and maybe they'll send a more experienced tech. ;)

To all you people that are talking about wanting to install thier own new dish, thats great, I will install my own as well, when needed.

I see you can now purchase the dish, so order the dish, place it and I am sure theinstaller will be more than happy to just install the box. It saves him time and sometimes frustration.

I have installed all of my dishes,over the years.

No it is not something that we cannot install, they have to teach the installer, usually the biggist difference is that they have the meters and I don't.

I did buy a meter awhile back, but found that they don't tell you WHAT sat you found, I use to find all kinds of sats up there, getting the correct one is the only problem, ya just keep looking, they give you a referance point to start.

I may let them install the 1st one and do the rest myself.

Jimbo

Cable systems are starting to roll out digital simulcast.

This is huge in Canada. Almost all major cable providers have an "all digital" simulcast here.

I haven't read to much into the LIL HD service that DirecTV is about to launch. What satellite is the Detroit test going on?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)