Detroit Tigers 2008

Victor would be my favorite player, but I do see Grady continuing to impress. Reguardless, looking forward to the baseball season. Here's hoping the Tribe and Tigers can take the Division and the Wildcard spot away from the Yanks/Sox.

Now I'm just hoping D* makes Sportstime Ohio 24 hr HD soon. Launches April 1st. All Indians games in HD!

I'm all about having the "full-time" STO-HD channel too, but we should still be able to see ALL of the HD games on D*'s dedicated "game only" channel on channel 96. Also, kudos to STO for stepping up this year to bring us EVERY Tribe game in HD this year. Very impressive indeed!

*Edit: Can we possibly think about renaming this thread to "AL Central"? I don't want to feel like I'm hijacking this thread by talking Indians baseball, but there isn't even a Indian's thread or enough folks from Cleveland on this site for it to survive on it's own. In other words, please excuse me for talking about my home team on your thread, but I feel like an orphan with no other place to go.....

I apologize ahead of time for asking, but since I don't follow that baseball team "up north", what happened to Pudge? Is he incapable of catching full time?

BTW, it's funny you brought up the back-up catcher subject.......

Just the other day, there was a great article in Cleveland's Plain Dealer that interviewed Tribe GM Mark Shapiro about him keeping back-up catcher phenom (Kelly Shoppach) under contract instead of fetching what would amount to be a great deal by trading him. Shapiro went on to say that catchers are in a short supply around the league and in the minors. Apparently no kids coming up want to be a catcher these days as they view it as an "unglamorous" position.

He's just fine, probably in the best shape he's been in for years, but he can't catch 162+ games. Shapiro hit it right on the head; catchers are in high demand, and short supply. Especially talented ones.

I'm all about having the "full-time" STO-HD channel too, but we should still be able to see ALL of the HD games on D*'s dedicated "game only" channel on channel 96. Also, kudos to STO for stepping up this year to bring us EVERY Tribe game in HD this year. Very impressive indeed!

*Edit: Can we possibly think about renaming this thread to "AL Central"? I don't want to feel like I'm hijacking this thread by talking Indians baseball, but there isn't even a Indian's thread or enough folks from Cleveland on this site for it to survive on it's own. In other words, please excuse me for talking about my home team on your thread, but I feel like an orphan with no other place to go.....

Read my first post. I invited everyone, especially fans of the Central division also rans.:D Feel free to post about the Indians, White Sox, Twins, and Royals here.

I apologize ahead of time for asking, but since I don't follow that baseball team "up north", what happened to Pudge? Is he incapable of catching full time?

BTW, it's funny you brought up the back-up catcher subject.......

Just the other day, there was a great article in Cleveland's Plain Dealer that interviewed Tribe GM Mark Shapiro about him keeping back-up catcher phenom (Kelly Shoppach) under contract instead of fetching what would amount to be a great deal by trading him. Shapiro went on to say that catchers are in a short supply around the league and in the minors. Apparently no kids coming up want to be a catcher these days as they view it as an "unglamorous" position.

Catchers have almost always been in short demand in the MLB, thats the fastest way to the majors if you can catch.

Jimbo

Catchers have almost always been in short demand in the MLB, thats the fastest way to the majors if you can catch.

Jimbo

Yup, either catching or being a durable left handed pitcher. See: Jesse Orosco or Satchel Page. (Both Cleveland Indian's at one point in their career btw. ;)) Orosco pitched till he was 47, which is amazing for today's standards and Page last pitched professionally when he was 59! :eek:

I will be teaching my future kids either one of those positions at a very young age. :D

Yup, either catching or being a durable left handed pitcher. See: Jesse Orosco or Satchel Page. (Both Cleveland Indian's at one point in their career btw. ;)) Orosco pitched till he was 47, which is amazing for today's standards and Page last pitched professionally when he was 59! :eek:

I will be teaching my future kids either one of those positions at a very young age. :D

Kenny Rogers and Tim Wakefield may be able to go well into their 40's as well.

Jimbo

One week to opening day, and we got 4" of fresh snow on the ground last night.

sorry about that Paul, I notice masterdeals last night said he was late because of the snow. You guys should move "up north" :)

Noticed the FSN listing last night for teams to win the title, and Tigers were at the top.

P.S. My Wings are not doing bad either !

Looks like Miggie will be in Detroit for a very long time!

KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

The contract is the richest in the Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

ESPN - Cabrera set to ink Tigers' biggest pact: $153.3 million - MLB

Looks like Miggie will be in Detroit for a very long time!

KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

The contract is the richest in the Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

ESPN - Cabrera set to ink Tigers' biggest pact: $153.3 million - MLB

Salsa,
I hadn't seen that yet, thanks for the post :)

This was expected, but had not heard any rumors or anything about it in quite awhile.
Hmmmm....
Just like the lack of rumors when Mr Dombrowski made the trade in the first place, no one had any idea .... I like that. :)

Good move for the Tigers and Mr. Illich :up

Jimbo

Salsa,
I hadn't seen that yet, thanks for the post :)

This was expected, but had not heard any rumors or anything about it in quite awhile.
Hmmmm....
Just like the lack of rumors when Mr Dombrowski made the trade in the first place, no one had any idea .... I like that. :)

Good move for the Tigers and Mr. Illich :up

Jimbo

As opposed to Matt Millen....forget ANY PLAYER the Tigers have picked up...the BEST "pick-up" the Tigers got was Dave Dombrowski! Since he got to Detroit by way of the "florida express"....he has turned the team AND the franchise around.

Are the Indians playing Seattle again to start the season and get SNOWED out again ?

Nope, we play the Chicago White Sox in Cleveland (still not comfortable calling it Progressive Field) on March 31st. With the way the weather changes this time of the year, I can't understand opening the season at home.

As opposed to Matt Millen....forget ANY PLAYER the Tigers have picked up...the BEST "pick-up" the Tigers got was Dave Dombrowski! Since he got to Detroit by way of the "florida express"....he has turned the team AND the franchise around.

You got that right! Until the Fords find a real football man to run the Lions, the situation will remain SNAFU.

The Tribe announced Cliff Lee as their #5 starter in their rotation today. Lee struggled last year a bit, but previously averaged 15 wins a season from 2004-2006. His performance so far this spring has the organization hoping that he's returned to his dependable form. Lefties, Aaron Laffey and Jeremy Sowers will be waiting in the wing for any early injuries or struggles that may occur.

This solidifies our solid Starting Rotation:

#1- Sabathia
#2- Carmona
#3- Westbrook
#4- Byrd
#5- Lee

ESPN - Lee beats out Laffey, Sowers as Indians' fifth starter - MLB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)