Detroit Tigers 2008

Looks like Miggie will be in Detroit for a very long time!

KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

The contract is the richest in the Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

ESPN - Cabrera set to ink Tigers' biggest pact: $153.3 million - MLB

I had heard this was coming, just didn't expect them to get this done before Cabrera had a chance to play a while in Comerica. I thought maybe the Death Valley of left center would maybe scare him a little. The other thing that surprised me, was that I thought we signed him for less money than I would have thought. I was expecting something in the range of 22M per year. Pleased to have him onboard for the foreseeable future.

GO TIGERS!!!

If Lee returns to form, he will be a huge help to an already impressive starting rotation.

Today's edition of The Cleveland Plain Dealer has an article in the Sport's section titled: "Tigers throw money, but Tribe throws".

Basically it states that the only way the Indians can hold off the big bats and even bigger budget in Detroit is with pitching, pitching and more pitching. The old saying is that great pitching will beat great hitting. As we approach opening day throughout the MLB, we shall in fact see if that holds true. Either way, this should be a good race for the AL Central.......

Looks like Miggie will be in Detroit for a very long time!

KISSIMMEE, Florida -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

The contract is the richest in the Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

ESPN - Cabrera set to ink Tigers' biggest pact: $153.3 million - MLB

Congratulations Detroit. You are now among the richest clubs in the league. The Cabrera deal has pushed the Tigers' payroll for this season to the $130 million range! The top four MLB payrolls are now the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers and Mets.

I'm either jealous as an Indian fan, or bitter knowing that there is no way in hell Indian owner Larry Dolan will ever be able to compete with these payrolls. Why can't the MLB figure out some sort of salary cap structure?!

Congratulations Detroit. You are now among the richest clubs in the league. The Cabrera deal has pushed the Tigers' payroll for this season to the $130 million range! The top four MLB payrolls are now the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers and Mets.

I'm either jealous as an Indian fan, or bitter knowing that there is no way in hell Indian owner Larry Dolan will ever be able to compete with these payrolls. Why can't the MLB figure out some sort of salary cap structure?!

They can compete, they just don't want to compete.....BIG DIFFENCE! Cleveland had a big market. ALL of the greater Cleveland, ALL of eastern Ohio, MOST of western NY, SOME of NW PA....

Today's edition of The Cleveland Plain Dealer has an article in the Sport's section titled: "Tigers throw money, but Tribe throws".

Basically it states that the only way the Indians can hold off the big bats and even bigger budget in Detroit is with pitching, pitching and more pitching. The old saying is that great pitching will beat great hitting. As we approach opening day throughout the MLB, we shall in fact see if that holds true. Either way, this should be a good race for the AL Central.......

I can't argue with this, but I will say that I think our starters match up very well with anyone in the MLB. Our bullpen, well lets not talk about that. You have a big edge there. I'm just hoping that our starters make that a nonissue most days, and that our hitting could put the score out of the distance of our roller coaster bullpen. Our pitching WAS the difference in'06.

I'm interested in seeing how the Tigers will pitch this year. The only guy I'm not worried about is Verlander.

Bonderman seems like a headcase, D-Train hasn't had good numbers lately... I guess Robertson is a decent #4. If Porcello can contribute though, that could swing the AL Central to the Tigers. I thought that was a great draft choice for them, Boras client or not.

I'm interested in seeing how the Tigers will pitch this year. The only guy I'm not worried about is Verlander.

Bonderman seems like a headcase, D-Train hasn't had good numbers lately... I guess Robertson is a decent #4. If Porcello can contribute though, that could swing the AL Central to the Tigers. I thought that was a great draft choice for them, Boras client or not.

D-Train did not have good numbers because he was on teams that lacked experience at the major league level. Last time he had a LEGIT team, they won a World Series with.....Pudge Rodriguez catching....yeah, that's right...that's the ticket....! All kidding aside, he had only one real bad year...and that was last year with an ERA at 5.17. Other than that, his ERA in the previous years was 3.87(2006), 2.63(2005), 4.02(2004) and 3.31(2003).

Don't look for him this season, with the slight possibility of a Sept. call up. He is just a year out of high school. Don't think the Tiger's brass will be rushing him. You are correct about Bondo being a head case. Everyone's still waiting for him to put in all together for a full season. Willis may be the key to the season this year. I'm with Salsa here, I think the change of scenery may be the answer.

Seems to me that teams like yours and Oakland, Minnesota, have done pretty well without spending the big $.

As opposed to Matt Millen....forget ANY PLAYER the Tigers have picked up...the BEST "pick-up" the Tigers got was Dave Dombrowski! Since he got to Detroit by way of the "florida express"....he has turned the team AND the franchise around.

Yes, I was very happy when he was signed by Mr. Illich, he reminds be alot of Ken Holland (Red Wings GM) he's done the same thing with the Red Wings.

Jimbo

Great pitching ALWAYS beats great hitting in the playoffs.
However, I think your forgetting that the Tigers pitching is pretty good as well.
Cleveland has the edge definatly because they are solid in all phases of their pitching, however with a little bit of good luck (something the Tigers bullpen has lacked in recient memory) they should do fine.
Remember we will get a trade deadline pick up, probably early, without giving up anyone.
IF Joel Zumaya comes back anywheres near where he was 2 years ago, the Tigers will be fine.

There has been talks lately about them picking up a reliever, the guy's I have heard have not impressed me, so hopefully he'll wait for the right move to appear.

Jimbo

Lets not jump on Bonderman yet, he struggled last year in the first inning and gave up alot of runs, but that has NOT happened this year, so maybe it was in his head and now he's learned to deal with it ...

Verlander can pitch for ANYONE, he's a stud
Kenny Rogers has pitched fine so far.
Porcello I have not seen yet, IF he doesn't make the team, I'll see alot of him down here in Toledo.

Jimbo

Lets not jump on Bonderman yet, he struggled last year in the first inning and gave up alot of runs, but that has NOT happened this year, so maybe it was in his head and now he's learned to deal with it ...

Verlander can pitch for ANYONE, he's a stud
Kenny Rogers has pitched fine so far.
Porcello I have not seen yet, IF he doesn't make the team, I'll see alot of him down here in Toledo.

Jimbo

Porcello has been sent to AA, Western Mich. team I believe. Cameron Maybin was sent to the minors yesterday, also.

Opening Day

Just found out I got tickets for opening day!! Can't wait to see the team together, and playing for real. I went last year and nearly froze, and I am thinking this year will be a similar outcome if our recent weather is any indication. Since Granderson is starting the year on the DL, who is going to be playing center and leading off?

D-Train did not have good numbers because he was on teams that lacked experience at the major league level. Last time he had a LEGIT team, they won a World Series with.....Pudge Rodriguez catching....yeah, that's right...that's the ticket....! All kidding aside, he had only one real bad year...and that was last year with an ERA at 5.17. Other than that, his ERA in the previous years was 3.87(2006), 2.63(2005), 4.02(2004) and 3.31(2003).

Great pitching ALWAYS beats great hitting in the playoffs.
However, I think your forgetting that the Tigers pitching is pretty good as well.

Cleveland has the edge definatly because they are solid in all phases of their pitching, however with a little bit of good luck (something the Tigers bullpen has lacked in recient memory) they should do fine.
Remember we will get a trade deadline pick up, probably early, without giving up anyone.
IF Joel Zumaya comes back anywheres near where he was 2 years ago, the Tigers will be fine.

There has been talks lately about them picking up a reliever, the guy's I have heard have not impressed me, so hopefully he'll wait for the right move to appear.

Jimbo

The key is that these last few years, "D-Train" has showed signs of recession, all the while pitching in a less offensive National League. Plus, Dontrelle Willis has been a mess this spring! There is nothing in his game showing any sort of improvement either. 17 hits and 11 walks in 13 2/3 innings. Coming off a 10-15 season and 5.17 ERA in Florida, there is reason to worry.

Let's take a look at the rest of your starting staff....

Will Kenny Rogers hold up for an entire year at the age of 43? He made only 11 starts last season. Tough call for an ol' timer.

Jeremy Bonderman has a great arm, but a career 56-52 record and an uninspiring 4.78 ERA. Average at best.

Nate Robertson is 30 years old. Last year, he was 9-13 with a 4.76 ERA. His career mark is 42-55 with a 4.60 ERA.

Justin Verlander (18-6, 3.66) is your version of Fausto Carmona. "V" is the only threatening pitcher on your staff.

As for the bullpen. Two key relievers: Joel Zumaya and Fernando Rodney are out indefinitely with arm problems. Rodney is 5-9 with a 4.56 since June 2006. The bullpen is being built around Tim Byrdak, Bobby Seay, Jason Grilli, Denny Bautista (4-10, 6.93 ERA in his major-league career) and Todd Jones. Bottom line: it's thin.

A year ago, the Tigers ranked ninth in ERA, ninth in innings pitched by their starters. The Indians were No. 3 in ERA, No. 1 in starters ERA and starters innings. That means the Indians stayed out of the bullpen longer.

So to conclude, we've all agreed that great pitching outperforms great hitting.

Advantage: Cleveland

The key is that these last few years, "D-Train" has showed signs of recession, all the while pitching in a less offensive National League. Plus, Dontrelle Willis has been a mess this spring! There is nothing in his game showing any sort of improvement either. 17 hits and 11 walks in 13 2/3 innings. Coming off a 10-15 season and 5.17 ERA in Florida, there is reason to worry.

Will Kenny Rogers hold up for an entire year at the age of 43? He made only 11 starts last season. Tough call for an ol' timer.

Jeremy Bonderman has a great arm, but a career 56-52 record and an uninspiring 4.78 ERA. Average at best.

Nate Robertson is 30 years old. Last year, he was 9-13 with a 4.76 ERA. His career mark is 42-55 with a 4.60 ERA.

Justin Verlander (18-6, 3.66) is your version of Fausto Carmona. "V" is the only threatening pitcher on your staff.

As for the bullpen. Two key relievers: Joel Zumaya and Fernando Rodney are out indefinitely with arm problems. Rodney is 5-9 with a 4.56 since June 2006. The bullpen is being built around Tim Byrdak, Bobby Seay, Jason Grilli, Denny Bautista (4-10, 6.93 ERA in his major-league career) and Todd Jones. Bottom line: it's thin.

A year ago, the Tigers ranked ninth in ERA, ninth in innings pitched by their starters. The Indians were No. 3 in ERA, No. 1 in starters ERA and starters innings. That means the Indians stayed out of the bullpen longer.

You have no idea about spring training for pitchers. The initial part of spring training is to get the arm ready. Midway thru spring training is to get the arm strong enough to throw more than 4 innings at a time and improve location and improve any new pitches they want to add to their arsenal. The last part of spring training is show that you have put it all together....arm strength, accuracy and show that your new pitch and the work you have put into it, is worth it.

You have no idea about spring training for pitchers. The initial part of spring training is to get the arm ready. Midway thru spring training is to get the arm strong enough to throw more than 4 innings at a time and improve location and improve any new pitches they want to add to their arsenal. The last part of spring training is show that you have put it all together....arm strength, accuracy and show that your new pitch and the work you have put into it, is worth it.

Well, apparently, "D-Train" is still trying to "put it all together". From the Game Summary on DetroitTigers.com of the last game D-Willey pitched. (March 21st)........

"Dontrelle Willis was pulled with one out in the fourth inning after allowing four runs on seven hits and four walks. Willis, who struck out one, has a 5.93 ERA on the spring."

Just found out I got tickets for opening day!! Can't wait to see the team together, and playing for real. I went last year and nearly froze, and I am thinking this year will be a similar outcome if our recent weather is any indication. Since Granderson is starting the year on the DL, who is going to be playing center and leading off?

Brandon Inge will play CF, Renteria is to bat leadoff, as of today that is. Leyland could change his mind by opening day.

You hold on to those thoughts. Meanwhile let me give you another view - where was your pitching two seasons ago? I know who had pitching in 2006, - The Tigers. Pitching changes in a minute, a couple of injuries such as we had last season changed everything. First off your starters have nothing on our rotation, and we almost beat you guys last season with half of our complete staff on the injured reserve. I told you before, the only area your team has Detroit beat, is in the bullpen. You can't hit with us, and I'll call the starting rotations a wash. If both teams stay healthy, the hitting will be the difference, and we have it.

Did ANYONE on this board say that Detroit's Pitching at this point was better than Cleveland's ?

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)