Detroit Tigers 2008

Did Sports Illustrated just give us the jinx? They picked the Tiger's to win it all.:eek:

GO TIGERS!!!!

GO JINX!!!!

Actually in truth I kinda like the Tigers. Phils really came out well in that Polanco trade. Lets see, Polanco...no, errors, hits about .340....and we got some guy that tried to light everyone on fire and has been sitting in a Venezualen jail since. Very good deal for the Phils.

See this: POST on how good our 4 & 5 starters are. This also provides my conclusion of how they're superior to Willis and the rest of Detroit's staff.

And don't worry, I won't be on him the entire season if Willis "doesn't turn it around." I was just giving evidence on how I think his career is regressing and how he actually is NOT better than our #3, #4 or #5 like you said earlier.....

Possibly because of your previous quote:

Of course, all of this discussion began with me giving my preseason prediction that the Tribe would win the AL Central over Detroit in '08 and the sole reason was our edge in pitching.

HD MM,
The only problem I have with what you pointed out is the fact that the stats you posted were from LAST YEAR, not the upcoming year.

You have NO IDEA what either team will do pitching wise THIS YEAR.
The reason I can say that is this:

The Tigers Pitching was the BEST in BOTH LEAGUES in '06 and we all expected them to be just as good the next year and they were not.
You cannot expect the same every year so no one knows what will happen, thats why they play the games, otherwise they would not have had to play LAST year as the Tigers pitching was much better than others going into the season.

Another thing that no one can take into consideration is INJURIES, IF Sabathia were to go down for any stretch of time the Indians would be hard pressed to duplicate.
Carmona was a middle reliever two years ago and a NOT very good one at that, then last year came and he suddenly is an All Star starting pitcher.
Which Carmona do you get this year ? Do you know ????

Westbrrok and Byrd are getting up there too, can you count on them haveing 15 wins apiece, or 15 between them ???

Cliff Lee ???? Who ?

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I understand your point stating that there is still some uncertainty in whether or not the Indians rotation will be able to repeat last year's brilliant success. You are right. Too many variables come into play such as injury and such. (Being a Cleveland sport's fan, I can certainly attest to that). I personally am worried that our two top starters (CC and Fausto) can hold up throughout this upcoming year, since they both pitched a record amount of innings last year. I worry less about CC since he is older and time tested. He is also in the last year of his contract and is playing for a huge payday. Fausto is still young and last years success was completely unexpected to be honest. If he does repeat his dominance again this year, this kid is the real deal.

Did Sports Illustrated just give us the jinx? They picked the Tiger's to win it all.:eek:

GO TIGERS!!!!

Uh, oh. Paul, it looks like Indian's pitcher CC Sabathia is featured on ESPN the Magazine this month. I'm not going to say the "J" word, but that is strictly isolated to SI and Madden covers, right??? ;)

mag_04072008.jpg

GO JINX!!!!

Actually in truth I kinda like the Tigers. Phils really came out well in that Polanco trade. Lets see, Polanco...no, errors, hits about .340....and we got some guy that tried to light everyone on fire and has been sitting in a Venezualen jail since. Very good deal for the Phils.

We certainly appreciate that one :up

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I understand your point stating that there is still some uncertainty in whether or not the Indians rotation will be able to repeat last year's brilliant success. You are right. Too many variables come into play such as injury and such. (Being a Cleveland sport's fan, I can certainly attest to that). I personally am worried that our two top starters (CC and Fausto) can hold up throughout this upcoming year, since they both pitched a record amount of innings last year. I worry less about CC since he is older and time tested. He is also in the last year of his contract and is playing for a huge payday. Fausto is still young and last years success was completely unexpected to be honest. If he does repeat his dominance again this year, this kid is the real deal.

I agree ...

Tigers game tonight

I would like to watch the Tigers game tonight at 8 pm, unfortunatly I would have to be able to be in HOUSTON in order to do that, for some readon the Tigers FSN is not carrying it, The Red Wings are also on, but thats what they have the alternate channels for. :(

The Local coverage of the Tigers this spring has been very disappointing.

Jimbo

Shortly after I posted, it dawned on me that D* is turning on the Sports Package today 3-28-08 thru Monday I thought.
Thats said, it's 8 pm and my Houston RSN still shows "Channel not purchased"
Shouldn't this be on this weekend for our viewing enjoyment ?

Free Previews: Sports Pack 3/28-3/30

Come on D*, day one of your preview is almost over and you have not turned it on yet ....
btw, were these dates confirmed ?

Jimbo

ESPN The Magazine predicts a Indian's vs. Cub's World Series, with the Tribe winning.

A matchup of the game's most accursed franchises to decide the title would definitely be something to see.

Let me turn that around for you - what happened to that great pitching staff of your's yesterday? Good thing you had hitting yesterday, you sure as all hell, had no pitching. :D
It's a long season (too long in my opinion, 140 games would be more than enough), and yesterday we couldn't buy a clutch hit, and the bullpen (gulp) was, shall I say, less than stellar.

Let me turn that around for you - what happened to that great pitching staff of your's yesterday? Good thing you had hitting yesterday, you sure as all hell, had no pitching. :D
It's a long season (too long in my opinion, 140 games would be more than enough), and yesterday we couldn't buy a clutch hit, and the bullpen (gulp) was, shall I say, less than stellar.

I'll tell you what happened Paul: Jim Thome happened! This will forever be his home field. Every time he's here he does great. Plus, if you take away Sabathia's 2 bad pitches to him that resulted in homers, the margin of victory would've been much greater. Besides, we got bored after the 2nd inning being up 7-2 and were just toying with the Sox. ;)

Here's the starting pitching stats for Ace's Buehrle and Sabathia

Buehrle:
1.2 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 1 SO, 37.80 ERA! (I love inflated early season stats! :D)

Sabathia: (Take away Thome's 2 HR's and 4 RBI's and Sabathia didn't look that bad)
5.1 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 7 SO.

* BTW, our best player Victor Martinez left the game in the bottom of the second inning with a strained left hamstring. The verdict is still out on his condition as we wait for the MRI results later on this afternoon.....

I'll tell you what happened Paul: Jim Thome happened! This will forever be his home field. Every time he's here he does great. Plus, if you take away Sabathia's 2 bad pitches to him that resulted in homers, the margin of victory would've been much greater. Besides, we got bored after the 2nd inning being up 7-2 and were just toying with the Sox. ;)

Here's the starting pitching stats for Ace's Buehrle and Sabathia

Buehrle:
1.2 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 1 SO, 37.80 ERA! (I love inflated early season stats! :D)

Sabathia: (Take away Thome's 2 HR's and 4 RBI's and Sabathia didn't look that bad)
5.1 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 7 SO.

* BTW, our best player Victor Martinez left the game in the bottom of the second inning with a strained left hamstring. The verdict is still out on his condition as we wait for the MRI results later on this afternoon.....

Gee, if you take away Verlander's ONE pitch , the 2 run homer they game would not have been the same.

Now, to be honest, like I said earlier, they missed too many oppertunities , but those will improve.

IF you look in the history of the Tigers and Royals, the Royals have always played Detroit tough .... thats the main reason why the Indians WON the division because the Tigers could not beat the Royals late.

Also, you need to remember that one game does not make a season.

Jimbo

I hope 2 games don't make a season. Another loss today, the mighty Tiger bats a sleep at the wheel today, only 3 hits, all by Renteria.

That's embarrassing Paul. 4-0 to the Royal's? I thought you guys didn't need pitching when you have all those "bat's"!? :D

Meanwhile, my Tribe is up 6-1 in the bottom of the 7th. Carmona is pitching a gem. 4 hits, 1 run through 7.....

*Edit: It's Final. Tribe wins 7-2! Going for the sweep tomorrow at noon!

Last edited:

Behold, the Worst Sportscaster Ever!

Patriots/Colts- One Year Later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts