Detroit Tigers 2008

It's only April 7th. 156 games to go. Disappointing start to say the least, but really guys, 156 games to go. If you want to write Detroit off, be my guest. As for me, well it ain't over till the fat lady sings. This team will turn it on soon, and when they do, I'll be back to see what you fans from that "evil city to the South" have to say then.

What evil city to the south are you talking about ?
Toledo, Columbus , Cleveland, Cincy ???
Every city is south from you ....

Jimbo

0-7 Detroit!? When will the bleeding stop? Clearly this is a flashback to '03! :haha

No big deal, it's early in the season....BBUUTTTT.....Detroit is 0-7 and the Florida Marlins are in 1st place....

..."we have dogs and cats living together.....it's mass hysteria...!!!"

Great victory for the Tribe last night.

Hafner's 2 run bomb in the 9th, followed by a complete game 95 pitch performance by Jake Westbrook was a great sign of improvement from both players '07's off year.

Westbrook was our #4 starter last year. He had a tough 2-1 loss in his first start this year, but I was glad to see him go the distance and earn the deserving victory this time. It appears as if Westbrook is carrying on from signs of improvement during late last year and in Spring Training this year.

As for Pronk, he seems to be hitting more consistently with runners in scoring position this year. Previous to last year he seemed to always come up huge when it counted most. If we can get Victor Martinez healthy and now Pronk going, this may be just enough fire power that we need to produce enough of a cushion for our pitching to take over.

Man the Tigers couldn't hit water from a boat right now!
To keep things in perspective - IF the Tigers start off 0 - 10, that would be the equivalent of your favorite football team losing their first game of the season. They're both 1/16 of the season. You wouldn't write off your football team for one loss would you?

Man the Tigers couldn't hit water from a boat right now!
To keep things in perspective - IF the Tigers start off 0 - 10, that would be the equivalent of your favorite football team losing their first game of the season. They're both 1/16 of the season. You wouldn't write off your football team for one loss would you?

Mathematically yes, but psychologically, those boys will be in a world of hurt if they go 0-10 to start the season.:p

No big deal, it's early in the season....BBUUTTTT.....Detroit is 0-7 and the Florida Marlins are in 1st place....

ALSO....if the 1st place team start off 10-0 MLB...that is almost a 20 game difference....

Actually that IS a 20 game difference !

Jimbo

0-7 Detroit!? When will the bleeding stop? Clearly this is a flashback to '03! :haha

The Bleeding stops TONIGHT.

Tigers win in Boston 7-2.

Cleveland lost and is 2 GB and Tigers are only 5 back.

Now lets see if the Tigers can continue and put a few wins together get back into the swing of things.

Roller Coaster Jones makes it interesting again. :D

Jimbo

Last edited:
The Bleeding stops TONIGHT.

Tigers win in Boston 7-2.

Cleveland lost and is 2 GB and Tigers are only 5 back.

Now lets see if the Tigers can continue and put a few wins together get back into the swing of things.

Roller Coaster Jones makes it interesting again. :D

Jimbo

And the MARLINS are STILL in 1st place....LOL!!

Something wierd about this season....:confused:

Indian's sign Carmona to long term deal! Press Conferance @3pm

From ESPN report......

The Indians have signed right-hander Fausto Carmona to a multiyear contract extension, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting.

Carmona's contract is potentially worth $43 million over seven years, with the first four years guaranteed for $15 million total. With escalators, the contract could exceed $43 million.

The 24-year-old Carmona had a breakout year in 2007, winning 19 games for the AL Central champion Indians. Carmona, who finished second in the AL in ERA (3.06), ended '07 with a major league best 2.26 ERA in the second half.

This season, the hard-throwing right-hander is 1-0 with a 0.69 ERA in two starts.

Carmona is the No. 2 starter in the Indians' rotation behind left-handed ace C.C. Sabathia. Sabathia, however, is a free agent after the season.

Carmona joins a core group of young players -- along with Grady Sizemore, Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez -- who have signed long-term deals with the Indians.

The Dominican Republic native made a memorable debut in the postseason. Matched up with Andy Pettitte, he allowed the New York Yankees just three hits and no earned runs in nine innings, pitching the final two as tiny insects swarmed the infield at then-Jacobs Field.

Last edited:
From ESPN report......

The Indians have signed right-hander Fausto Carmona to a multiyear contract extension, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting.

Carmona's contract is potentially worth $43 million over seven years, with the first four years guaranteed for $15 million total. With escalators, the contract could exceed $43 million.

The 24-year-old Carmona had a breakout year in 2007, winning 19 games for the AL Central champion Indians.
This season, the hard-throwing right-hander is 1-0 with a 0.69 ERA in two starts.

Carmona is the No. 2 starter in the Indians' rotation behind left-handed ace C.C. Sabathia. Sabathia, however, is a free agent after the season.

Carmona joins a core group of young players -- along with Grady Sizemore, Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez -- who have signed long-term deals with the Indians.

The Dominican Republic native made a memorable debut in the postseason. Matched up with Andy Pettitte, he allowed the New York Yankees just three hits and no earned runs in nine innings, pitching the final two as tiny insects swarmed the infield at then-Jacobs Field.

I was at that game and I can attest for witnessing quite possibly one of the single most memorable public sporting events in my lifetime. That game/series and run in '07 was awesome and Fausto deserves major credit for our successes.

Fausto is currently making near the minimum this year, and won't be eligible for arbitration until after next year. The Indians front office is doing him right by giving him a raise and building goodwill for the future, because if he keeps performing the way he has, his next contract will be a bit more difficult to negotiate.

Red Sox fan here, I picked the Tigers to win it all and I'm standing by that pick. The only part of the team that worries me is the bullpen (when is Zumaya and Rodney coming back?). The Tigers lineup 1-9 is down right scary. Imagine Jacque Jones, Brandon Inge, or Edgar Renteria batting ninth? Their starting rotation is solid (at least on paper). Dontrelle Willis and nate Robertson just might be the best 4-5 guys in baseball. And lastly, the Tigers are very deep, with Inge (when Granderson is healthy) and Marcus Thames coming off the bench. Very impressive roster to say the least!

ALSO....if the 1st place team start off 10-0 MLB...that is almost a 20 game difference....

SSHHHH. I'm was trying to soothe the masses... You got to admit, it looked good for about a minute. It's only 10 games behind if the first place team went 10 - 0, by the way. At any rate, the birds are singing, my coffee tastes better, and my wife was feeling a little frisky, all because the Tigers finally won. So don't rain on my parade.:D
By the way, we are only 5 games behind the ROYALS (of all teams), if this was August, I would think that to be catchable. It's still April, so I'm not worried.

SSHHHH. I'm was trying to soothe the masses... You got to admit, it looked good for about a minute. It's only 10 games behind if the first place team went 10 - 0, by the way. At any rate, the birds are singing, my coffee tastes better, and my wife was feeling a little frisky, all because the Tigers finally won. So don't rain on my parade.:D
By the way, we are only 5 games behind the ROYALS (of all teams), if this was August, I would think that to be catchable. It's still April, so I'm not worried.

Only 2.5 behind the Tribe ...
Thats all that matters.

Jimbo

Behold, the Worst Sportscaster Ever!

Patriots/Colts- One Year Later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)