Detroit Tigers 2008

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I see the Tigers are well on thier way to a 35-5 start again ....
Oh wait thats a 5-35 record they are trying for this year, they've definatly got thier numbers mixed up.

Lots of injuries, but the offense still has to be able to do better than they have done.
Who would have figured that the Tigers would have been shut out at least 3 times already.

The lack of offense has to be affecting the pitchers as well, knowing that 1 run may be too much to give up at this point.

Verlander pitched well into the 8th the other night, I think 2 hits thru 7, then the damn broke.

Giving up 11 runs twice now to the White Sox is unacceptable.

Jimbo

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I see the Tigers are well on thier way to a 35-5 start again ....
Oh wait thats a 5-35 record they are trying for this year, they've definatly got thier numbers mixed up.

Lots of injuries, but the offense still has to be able to do better than they have done.
Who would have figured that the Tigers would have been shut out at least 3 times already.

The lack of offense has to be affecting the pitchers as well, knowing that 1 run may be too much to give up at this point.

Verlander pitched well into the 8th the other night, I think 2 hits thru 7, then the damn broke.

Giving up 11 runs twice now to the White Sox is unacceptable.

Jimbo

As you've mentioned, yesterday was the 3rd time the Tiger's have been shut out so far this season. What makes this stat interesting is that they were only shut out twice in all of last season! :eek:

The '08 MLB season is definitely off to a crazy start. Especially in the AL Central. Who would've thought that after 2 weeks, last year's Cy Young winner, CC Sabathia would be 0-2 with a 11.57 ERA and the Tigers would be 2-10 and near the bottom of the AL in runs scored?! Craziness indeed! I do believe that early season stats are magnified because they are happening at the start of the season. If these slumps occurred in the middle of a 162 game schedule, they wouldn't earn near as much attention.

Now if the Tiger's offensive problems and Sabathia's high ERA continues to become a trend through 40 games (1 quarter of season), I do think we can start drawing conclusions and begin to make bolder predictions.

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
As you've mentioned, yesterday was the 3rd time the Tiger's have been shut out so far this season. What makes this stat interesting is that they were only shut out twice in all of last season! :eek:

The '08 MLB season is definitely off to a crazy start. Especially in the AL Central. Who would've thought that after 2 weeks, last year's Cy Young winner, CC Sabathia would be 0-2 with a 11.57 ERA and the Tigers would be 2-10 and near the bottom of the AL in runs scored?! Craziness indeed! I do believe that early season stats are magnified because they are happening at the start of the season. If these slumps occurred in the middle of a 162 game schedule, they wouldn't earn near as much attention.

Now if the Tiger's offensive problems and Sabathia's high ERA continues to become a trend through 40 games (1 quarter of season), I do think we can start drawing conclusions and begin to make bolder predictions.

You are correct about the 40 game assessment HD. Until then, we're all just spit-balling. I expect the 60+ degree weather that's coming will cure the Tiger's hitting problems. Our whole infield is from south-of-the border, and they don't like cold weather. (Who does?) As for Sabathia, well I'm hoping this is not a fluke.:D

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
You are correct about the 40 game assessment HD. Until then, we're alljust spit-balling. I expect the 60+ degree weather that's coming will cure the Tiger's hitting problems. Our whole infield is from south-of-the border, and they don't like cold weather. (Who does?) As for Sabathia, well I'm hoping this is not a fluke.:D

On the contrary, I expect my Tribe to make their adjustments starting this Wednesday. It just so happens that the weather forecast in Cleveland will be 68°F and sunny for the upcoming 2 game series against the Motor Kitties! I will be attending with much anticipation the game on Wednesday. As it appears today, CC will be pitching that game too!

As for not liking the cold, our #5 starter Cliff Lee seemed to do ok in yesterday's 30°F and snowy game in Cleveland. He pitched 8 innings and gave up only 1 run on 2 hits to the team with most wins in the AL so far. (Oakland A's). :p

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
On the contrary, I expect my Tribe to make their adjustments starting this Wednesday. It just so happens that the weather forecast in Cleveland will be 68°F and sunny for the upcoming 2 game series against the Motor Kitties! I will be attending with much anticipation the game on Wednesday. As it appears today, CC will be pitching that game too!

As for not liking the cold, our #5 starter Cliff Lee seemed to do ok in yesterday's 30°F and snowy game in Cleveland. He pitched 8 innings and gave up only 1 run on 2 hits to the team with most wins in the AL so far. (Oakland A's). :p

I agree, whether should NOT be an issue, after all, the White Sox of all people are playing pretty well in it.

Jimbo

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI

What adjustments? New cups? Put their uniforms on in a different order? New bats or gloves? This ain't football.:D

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Looks like the Tigers finally woke up in the second half of the game tonight.
Looked like the same old Tigers, into the 5th, they put me to sleep, by then it was Twins 5 Kittens 0 ........yawn .....

I turned the Wings game on , Wings tied going into the third ...
Datsuk scored making it 3-2, same score with 4 to go, I turn Tigers on to check in and it's 9-6 Twins, at least the Tigers score tonight.
I watch as the Tigers tie the game at 9, turn Wings on and fall off the couch, Wings were losing 5-3 :eek:

Go back to the Tigers and they continue to hit like we all expected, 11-9 Tigers Victory tonight.

So when I turn the Tigers off, they do well and turn the Wings off and they fall apart.....

Jimbo

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
Sounds like we both did the same thing.:D
I see Cleveland is also having pitching problems early in the season. We got a taste of the Tiger's offensive explosiveness last night, no game is out of reach of this lineup.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
YaHoo :) :)

Two in a row for Tigers, first time this year !

Ya knew it had to happen sooner or later, now we'll see if they can get on a roll.
Cleveland's up next, should tell us something ...

Jimbo

ozzy1028

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 5, 2007
WOO HOO! This team is gonna surprise everyone this season. Gonna come from nowhere and be unstoppable. Just wait and see. Can wait to get tickets to a few games this year. Gonna try and get tickets for one game of the Boston series in May.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
WOO HOO! This team is gonna surprise everyone this season. Gonna come from nowhere and be unstoppable. Just wait and see. Can wait to get tickets to a few games this year. Gonna try and get tickets for one game of the Boston series in May.

Better hurry, most games are sold out already.

Jimbo

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
Dare I say it? A winning streak!
Round 1, of a scheduled 18 rounder, starts tonight with Cleveland. Garralaga on the hill for the Tiger's (who the hell is this guy?), Sabathia throwing for the Tribe. Hopefully C.C. continues his early season struggles.
Cabrera gave us a taste of his mighty bat last night. He says he is feeling comfortable at the plate finally. A couple of wins sure changed the perspective around this thread.

GO TIGERS!!!

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Just to put things in perspective..........after their well chronicled, dreadful start, the Tigers are only ONE game behind the Indians(who were/are widely considered to be the Tigers main challenger in the AL Central).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)