Detroit Tigers

He would make a perfect DH, he would be back with his old Pirate teammates especially Van Slyke since he called him "The Great White Hope" and "Jerry Cooney" ahhh the stories they could tell:rolleyes::p, back with Leyland, and together with Gary Sheffield they can teach the younger players how to think about themselves instead of the team.:p:D

DH is already taken , unless Shef starts to play the outfield again, then WHO are you taking out of the outfield, your only allowed to play 1 DH in this game !

No, they will NOT be platooning in LF

Jimbo

Anyone who wants the Barry show here in Detroit has lost their mind.
Its bad enough we have to deal with Sheffs mouth, BARRY NEEDS TO RETIRE.

Hell go to the Yankees, they like old broken down overpaid players. He can anywhere as long as he stays away from here.

Anyone who wants the Barry show here in Detroit has lost their mind.
Its bad enough we have to deal with Sheffs mouth, BARRY NEEDS TO RETIRE.

Hell go to the Yankees, they like old broken down overpaid players. He can anywhere as long as he stays away from here.

Agreed. Barry brings more controversy and bad media attention which is not the Tigers M.O. If Barry plays again next year, a team that is not in the playoff hunt will look at him. Barry's career at this point is good for a bad team to put butts in the seats, not be a key player to a pennant.

I love how Dembrowski and Leyland have closed the season by letting out some of their plans for next year! A good way to keep the Tigers fans looking forward to next year.

Leyland says no way Bonds is coming here. Casey was told by management that he wont be resigned by Detroit. So-long Mr. Casey, hope you enjoyed your time here, I know I did.

Leyland says no way Bonds is coming here. Casey was told by management that he wont be resigned by Detroit. So-long Mr. Casey, hope you enjoyed your time here, I know I did.

Bonds :down

Casey :up

Good move on the Bonds issue, glad to see that cleared up right away so there no Bonds specutlation al summer.

Thanks for the time you spent here Mr. Casey, I enjoyed your time here as well.

Jimbo

Agreed. Barry brings more controversy and bad media attention which is not the Tigers M.O. If Barry plays again next year, a team that is not in the playoff hunt will look at him. Barry's career at this point is good for a bad team to put butts in the seats, not be a key player to a pennant.

I love how Dembrowski and Leyland have closed the season by letting out some of their plans for next year! A good way to keep the Tigers fans looking forward to next year.

The only pitfall to this, is that the price of the sought after players goes up.

[/B]

The only pitfall to this, is that the price of the sought after players goes up.

Not necessarily. Players will want to play for the Tigers because they are winners, and on the verge of a championship. Players will be willing to sacrifice a little money to play for Detroit as opposed to Tampa Bay.

I should have been clearer in that it would be other teams that can extract a higher price from the Tigers. Lets use Rodriguez as an example. If the Tigers let his option pass, and don't resign him, everybody in the league knows we don't have a viable alternative and will use this to their advantage. Ironically, Rodriguez may have used this as leverage when he originally signed with the Tigers. Having announced that they need a SS this soon may still work against them the same way. In this day of astronomical contracts, I really don't see anybody taking less to play Detroit. It's all about I, me, mine. I have faith that Dombrowski knows what he is doing, though. His track record speaks well to that. I do see moving Guillen to first as step in the right direction.

Leyland extended

The Tigers have extended Jim Leyland's contract by another year, thru '09.

Dombrowski and Leyland said they look forward to many more years.

Thats a good sign :up

Jimbo

Leyland will be the manager until he gets tired of managing. Smartest thing Dombrowski has done in Detroit (he's done a lot of smart things) was getting Leyland to manage the club.

Personally, I thought they would have let him go. His numbers have been decreasing every year, and this last year batting .281 is not bad, but he hung around .276-.278 most of the season. He got hot at the end.

Only 63 RBI's, and 50 runs... he is getting old.

I am sure Demobrowski and Leyland looked at the pool of good catchers though and realized Pudge is all the better they can get. :cool:

That is the truth of this years talent pool. When you compare Pudge with the rest of the catchers, he's still in the top four. Sad, but true. I don't think you will see a contract extension until after the next season. I'm sure Dombrowski will make his assessment of the catching situation then, rather than commit the Tigers to anything right now. The biggest problem is that they have nobody in the system to replace him anytime soon. The search for a SS and a left-handed power hitter starts now.

Paul,
Did you hear the A-Rod to the Tigers rumor I heard , I did not catch the whole story, so I cannot elaborate ...
Could be true, or it could be Scott Boras stirring the pot.

Jimbo

Paul,
Did you hear the A-Rod to the Tigers rumor I heard , I did not catch the whole story, so I cannot elaborate ...
Could be true, or it could be Scott Boras stirring the pot.

Jimbo

I don't think it's as far fetched as many think. Ive been talking about this for sometime now. Boras has a great relationship with the Tigers brass, and I think it is as possible for him to come here as anywhere else.

I don't think it's as far fetched as many think. Ive been talking about this for sometime now. Boras has a great relationship with the Tigers brass, and I think it is as possible for him to come here as anywhere else.
Rivera may be available too, what do you think about getting them both ?
Illich can afford them.

Jimbo

I honestly believe A-Rod would be a good fit in Detroit. He could move back to his natural position as SS. He would be away from the scrutiny of New York, (although this year was a good year for A-Rod in that department).

He has the type of numbers we need to put us over the top offensively. A guy like A-Rod in Detroit would null and void a guy like Inge in the lineup since A-Rod could make up for what Inge does not bring to the lineup.

I know Jorge Posada is also a straight up free agent this year, but it must be the Yankees have good intentions to re-sign him.

Rivera may be available too, what do you think about getting them both ?
Illich can afford them.

Jimbo

I would welcome both with open arms. The problem as I see it would be the $40M bump to the payroll. The Tiger's are already bumping up against their maximum attendance limits, having drawn more than 3M to the park last year. The last 2 seasons are probably the first 2 years Illitch has seen a profit in a while. (He put a lot of money into the stadium). So signing either of them would probably cause a slight bump in ticket prices, which might not go over to well in this economically challenged area. Still, publicly declaring that Guillen was moving to first base, might have been an open overture to A-Rod. The question now is about the money, and whether Detroit is big enough for him. Endorsements here aren't like NY. Joedecock is right though, Detroit would be a beautiful fit for A-Rod. I've been saying that since two seasons ago when all the Yankee fans were crying (booing) about him. Come on over A-Rod, I promise Detroit will love you!