DG-380 motor arm position at true south

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cracklincrotch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Am I ass/u/me/ing correctly a DG-380 motor is aimed at true south the marker on the arm should be pointed at 0 on the scale? I've just noticed that mine doesn't. Using USALS to drive the motor to true south the arm is pointed at about 15, on the west side of south.

Am I ass/u/me/ing correctly a DG-380 motor is aimed at true south the marker on the arm should be pointed at 0 on the scale?
Technically, only if you are on the exact same Long as the Sat.
For me, I'm in between 87 and 89. So with the Motor at Zero, I set up to either 87 or 89, then have the receiver drive the Dish using USALS to either one, and re-tweak Dish.

Now you are saying your motor is at 15 when receiver is using USALS.
Double check your Long and Lat in the USALS menu, North and West.
Double check that the Sat has the correct Long entered.
Look for a "Go to Zero" in the Motor Controls, that should drive it to Zero.

...and if necessary, you can manually put your motor on the Zero mark, using the buttons, and re-initialize the motor to set THAT point as zero again. Actually , when properly calibrated your 0 on the motor should be at TRUE SOUTH, but not necessarily your true south satellite, since the bird will invariably be not at your longitude. I think Tim is saying the same thing, but I want to re-enforce it.
:)

My true south sat is Telstar 14 at 63W and I'm at 63.5W. So, if TS is at 0, then when I move the dish to 63W, the dish shouldn't turn to the west, it should go east. Think a reset is in order and then try again.

Being at 63.5 west and in Nova Scotia is not the Ideal situation for setting up a Motorized Dish. You have no Linear Sat very close to your True South that has a footprint in the North.
You may want to have the Receiver drive the Dish using USALS to 72west and try to lock some of the Strong TPs there.
Or, if you have a Circular LNB, set up to the Echo Sats at 61.5.

I can get a transponder off of T14 no problem.

Never knew about the goto 0 before because the receivers used before the Azbox didn't have those functions. Learn something new everyday.I've

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts