Diamond 9000 PVR Functionality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
I didn't really know where to put this, and didn't really find another thread dealing with this issue. There may be something at the end of the review, but I think I got all the way through it. :eek:

I got my eSata external SATA/USB controlled 250GB hard drive today and hooked it up to the Diamond 9000.

I first powered off the Diamond with the switch on the back, fired up the drive and turned on the Diamond. It immediately recognized the drive, so I just started recording an HD movie. Let it run for about 30 minutes just to see.

Played back on the receiver with no problem. :)

Moved the drive to my computer.

It seems to create a separate folder for each recording with files in a DVD format( .ifo file, .idx file, and a .trp file). Tried to play the folder with Nero and a no go. Tried WMP, and no go. Tried just playing the trp file and no go.

Did a little research and the files are in a .trp (transport stream) format. The only thing that will play them on a computer is Media Player Classic and Coreavc.

Played the file and checked the properties inside MPC and it said it was an Mpeg2 1280x720 file with the other specs.

I suppose you could burn right from the folder to Hi-Def DVD with the right tools, but I don't have anything that would play them except the computer. :(

Just thought I would let everyone know that the PVR function does work. :)

I bet that wasn't a high bitrate feed....

Mine is a paperweight with anything with a high bitrate. :mad:

I don't even use the PVR it is so buggy....I tried it a couple times and it stuttered and spit and stammered around like it was drunk. :cool:

Stogie -

Your hard drive performance may not be up to speed for the requirements of HD.
Some USB stuff is pretty slow. Linuxman's eSATA is the way to go, in this case.
Or, maybe newer firmware has dealt with the problem...?

Linuxman -

If you really want to do anything with the video, then VideoReDo might be your best bet.
I expect it can be made to load the transport streams.
It'll certainly edit out commercials.
The latest version will make DVDs, but I use different tools for that.

As to how it deals with HD, I can't say, since I don't have enough HD source material to really experiment with.
There's a nice support forum, which will get you up 'n running quickly.

They do have a full-featured demo version you can download and use for a trial period.
I bought it 3? years ago, and am an avid supporter.

General Comment -

I looked at the Diamond a few months back, to use as strictly an OTA HD recorder.
However, the firmware support was poor, and I labeled it an orphan.
If you see current firmware support for it, let me know, and I'll reconsider and reevaluate.

I found a German "TRP" Player, it works, no converting necessary, attached.

Here is a list, from a Dutch forum, for the MAXDigital 225 whic is almost identical to the Diamond 9000 HD:

Goed (good)
LaCie 160GB USB2.0 2.5` Porsche (Geen externe voeding nodig +- 70 euro)
Toshiba 750 GB USB2.0 (+-90 euro)
TOSHIBA MK1646GSX 160GB (USB) 2,5" M-Hdd behuizing geen externe voeding nodig.
Maxtor externe 3,5 USB HDD 500GB (Slaapstand uitzetten)
SAMSUNG MP0402H 40GB (USB) 2,5" eminent behuizing geen externe voeding nodig.
samsung 160 giga spinpoint
Medion HDDdrive 2GO met 250 GB
Packard Bell Mobile external hard drive 250GB

Buffalo DriveStation HD-HC500U2 (500GB)
Chili Green (200GB)
FS Storagebird 250 Solo
Fujitsu Siemens Storagebird (500GB)
INOi Media HardDrive (320GB)
Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 (500GB)
Maxtor Personal Storage 5000XT (250GB)
Maxtor One Touch 4 (500GB)
Philips SPE 305 1CC/00 (500GB)
Samsung HD501LJ (500GB)
2,5" Samsung Icyboy HM160HI (160GB) SATA
Seagate mediagate mg 35 (400GB) IDE
1,8" Toshiba
Toshiba (500GB)
TrekStor Data Station maxi (500GB)
TrekStor Data Station maxi (320GB)
Western Digital My Book II Essential 500GB
Western Digital MyBook Pro (500GB)
Western Digital Passport II (250GB)
Western Digital WD2500JB (250GB)
WD 2,5" (100GB)

Niet Goed (not good)
seagate van 400 giga
WD 500GB 3,5 inch
WD 320GB 3,5 inch
WD Premium ES
Buffalo Drivestation Combo HD-HC160IU2 (160GB)
Seagate Freeagent (500GB)
Targa (500GB)
omega hd 500 G

Attachments

• TRP_Player.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 155
Hey Stogie,

I don't remember what the bitrate was, but it was 59.9 fps 1280x720. The Diamond called it a 720p but I would say it wasn't the highest or the lowest, but it recorded fine. It was only 30 minutes for a trial and I deleted it as soon as I was finished checking it out.

I recorded an OTA episode for my wife last night. I haven't looked at it yet on the computer, but it plays fine on the Diamond.

As Anole said, the performance of the Hard Drive through USB might be a key factor. The one I bought is a Seagate 250GB drive ST3250310AS 8M SATA enclosed in a ME740JBK no name box. Also came with a SATA PCI card, USB cable, and one touch backup software.

They must have used a hard drive utility to format it for FAT32 because 250GB is too big for ordinary FAT32 to handle in one partition. But as I say, the Diamond grabbed onto it like it owned it. :)

Lak7,

I got the TRP_Player, and I downloaded the Streamclip 1.1. Hopefully I will get a little time this afternoon to play with the file I recorded last night. My wife will be thrilled. :)

She will be even more thrilled if I can get every episode of the new season and burn them to a DVD for her. :D

Got to keep the WAF high!!!

Well I tried out the TRP_Player only to discover that it was a cygwin stand-alone version of MPlayer and it didn't handle the file very well. Plus all the menu items were in German which is not one of the languages that I learned.

I downloaded and install the full version of MPlayer, and it plays the file very nicely on my P4 1.8 Ghz extra PC.

The file was an episode from Fox last night and MPlayer gives the clip information as 19000 Kbps 1280x720 at 59.94 fps with AC3 448 Kbps audio.

Don't know if that is a lot of bitrate or not Stogie. :)

Tried the Streamclip 1.1 and it didn't like my installation of Quicktime. Said I needed to purchase the mpeg2 playback module, or completely uniinstall and install some Quicktime plus or something.

I'll have to try it later for conversion to DVD burning etc.

Ok, you computer guys...explain something to me. I am under the impression that either SATA OR IDE drives have much faster throughput than the USB connection can handle, is that wrong? Why is the SATA better if its still bottlenecked by USB? :confused:

Ok, you computer guys...explain something to me. I am under the impression that either SATA OR IDE drives have much faster throughput than the USB connection can handle, is that wrong? Why is the SATA better if its still bottlenecked by USB? :confused:
SATA has much better throughput speed than IDE has.

As to why it is better through USB 2.0 than IDE, I can't answer that. :)

Perhaps someone with more technical jargon can answer for you.

I just know this one works flawlessly.

simple comparison of hard drives

(the reptile grins) - :D

As for hard drive speed, the fastest of the 7200 rpm drives should be SATA II (300mb).
There's also SATA I (150mb) with half the buffer interface speed.
But the actual data rate is determined by disc-to-head throughput, not the SATA interface.

IDE/ATA comes in 100 and 133mb, but that's about as fast as it goes.
Some bargain drives will be ATA100, have a small buffer, and even rotate at 5400 rpm to be green.
This is no damned time for green! We want performance!

USB interfaced drives have either an IDE/ATA drive inside, or (rarely) a SATA drive inside.
Then, they have a converter to USB interface.
While the USB 2 interface at 480mb seems to offer sufficient throughput for the 300mb SATA II drive, in the real world, that's not the case.
USB interfaces are cheap, take shortcuts, and won't handle sustained speeds (generally speaking).
Well, what do you expect from a $5 interface?

THEN, if that wasn't enough, many computers won't handle good throughput on their USB ports.
I don't know whether to chalk it up to software or hardware, but I believe it's a hardware problem.
I know that my two older computers suck when tested with external drives (which should do well).
But my two newer computers (often with equal or older ver of Windows) will perform much better with the same USB subsystems.

Lastly, there is eSATA, which is little more than a good long-distance buffer for regular SATA.
In my experience, that would have the best potential for performance.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
And there's nothing like an INTERNAL SATA II drive for best performance (and a dual-core doesn't hurt, either). - :D

Well I just tried to record a well known super high bitrate feed so I can't mention the name or location, and the Diamond stuttered very badly when I hit the record button. I let it jump around for about a minute, and hit the stop button which re-booted the receiver.

No harm done, but nothing recorded, and I was able to delete the file and move on.

I next tried some HD feeds about 5 degrees West of that one. I don't know their bitrate, but it recorded those fine.

I also recorded another OTA CBS episode tonight, and it recorded fine.

So far only one channel it won't record. :)

I bet that wasn't a high bitrate feed....
Mine is a paperweight with anything with a high bitrate. :mad:
I don't even use the PVR it is so buggy....I tried it a couple times and it stuttered and spit and stammered around like it was drunk. :cool:
Leave it to Stogie to find the worst possible signals, and then bitch about them! - :cool:
Couldn't say anything nice about all the rest, huh? :D

Lak-
Hey, don't confuse those low-life gecko commercials with a real Anole! - :cool:
See avatar.
And don't be saying that politically incorrect, "they all look alike to me" crap! :eek:

Linuxman-
Now that you've got one, if they ever release firmware with:
- an OTA guide,
- select programs for recording from the guide,
Please let me know!

"Lak-
Hey, don't confuse those low-life gecko commercials with a real Anole! - :cool:
See avatar.
And don't be saying that politically incorrect, "
they all look alike to me" crap! :eek:"

Something like this....

Attachments

• smiling.jpg
    smiling.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 129
waaaay off topic

Lak7 -

Last Xmas and New Years, a buddy made up new avatars for me.
One had a red Santa hat.
The other a black top hat and cane.

I think you just became another member of the "too much time on my hands" club. - :up - :eek: - :D

Attachments

• santanole2.JPG
    santanole2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Happy anole new year.jpg
    Happy anole new year.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 142
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts