Did I fry my LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim Portner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Southwest US
Hi all. Just got a new Manhatten RS-1933. Hooked everything up and have had no problems pulling in the FTA channels on the C-band birds. Initially was pulling in Ku on L5 and some other sats, but little by little it's gone away. Changed out the Diseqc switch and now I get no Ku anywhere at all. Connected the Ku cable from my LNB directly to my Manhattan (instead of thru the splitters and Diseqc) and I get nothing at all. Is it likely I fried my Ku LNB out at the dish, or is there some other potential fix you wizards could offer? Thanks.

8' orbitron black mesh dish. a Corotor II Feedhorn. a Norsat 4056A Ku LNB. Have always gotten Ku before without problem. This is a recent development, so that's why I'm wondering if I may have fried the LNB when switching out the diseqc switch, etc. As I mentioned, I connected my Ku cable from the LNB directly to the Manhatten and still found no signal, but maybe that's because I'm just not up to speed on how to select TP's, etc. on the new Manhatten receiver. Anyway, I just keep playing around with it all to hopefully learn and figure out the prob, and am grateful for whatever tips you might provide. Thanks.

How are you powering the lnb's? Splitters in the coax lines, power pass to an analog (which is also used to select polarity?), blocked side to diseqc sw. for the FTA? Maybe when you connected directly to the FTA box, you had vertical TP's selected (FTA receiver). FTA box only outputs 13v then. LNB's like at least 18v.(Horizontal programmed TP;s) Some LNB's don't work at all on 13v.
Maybe draw a diagram and post it. (easier than describing)
Swapping the C and Ku coaxes at the LNB's, and scanning C. If 'channels' are found, the Ku side power to LNB is ?.( Ku LNB powered by the C coax, C band LNB powered by Ku wire,)
If C band is working, swap C and Ku lnb diseqc ports. If switch port is bad, C will stop working, Ku returns.
If it's slowly 'died out' >>but little by little it's gone away<< I would suspect bugs nests in the feed horn, dish settling, tipping pole, etc.(Ku beamwidth is narrower than C band on a BUD) Could also be corrosion in a connector. Have you tried blind scanning Ku? LNB may have drifted off frequency(??) That could be 'little by little'.
Could be the LNB, but think you'd take out a diseqc switch before the LNB if you moved wires with power applied. And don't think that would cause your 'little by little' but would be all or nothing. .
Taking out all switches, splitters, etc. and making it as simple as possible. Band by band, Then adding components is, in many instances, the quickest troubleshooting procedure.
Good luck--

Last edited:
This is great info. Thanks so much. Will begin troubleshooting step by step as you've suggested. FYI per your question, I power the LNB's with my DSR 922 which, for all intents and purposes, is pretty much only used as my dish-mover to the various sat positions I've stored there. I've got splitters on both the C and Ku cables coming in from the LNB's, with a DC pass-through on each splitter that's connected to the 922 for the power. Thanks again for all the suggestions and detail.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)