Did the Birdview Focal Length Increase - Still No S2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
After the very knowledgeable members here wrote about the Birdview focal length issue, I went ahead and extended it an inch. I did it with 7/8 inch nut couplers and washers. I had to grind off the original nuts so that the struts wouldn't break off. Then I attached the struts to the scalar with short bolts, which screwed directly into the coupler nuts.

On the plus side, I do get maybe five percent higher signal on both the C and Ku sides. Still, little S-2 though.

I use DVBviewer and Transedit, and I try to scan the S-2 signals (using all possible combinations of pilot etc.) , and I get blanks. I begin to blame the TT3200 cards I have. I got those after a long dry spell, when Technotrend wasn't shipping. I think maybe they came out of a bad production batch.

Although there is no Monday Night Football I can get anyway, there are still s-2 programming signals I would enjoy getting.
I have to say, here I am with a serious dish and equipment, and people with five foot mesh dishes are getting stuff I can't. Frustrating.

So maybe I should go with a Prof, or an Opensat. Or who knows what else?
I think I must be cursed

What particular signals on what birds are you looking for? Both I and user "nicknjen" have not modified our BV dishes at all, and signal is quite good. We can maybe help if we know more?

you've probably checked but after i checked ( and i thought it was dead on) , my biggest gain was from placing a laser pointer and ensuring my feed was centered.

I didn't realize you were limited to a PC-based reception system, and know nothing of those devices.

If you are certain you have your dish tuned I would consider spending about a 100 bucks on an Openbox S9 (I have 2). The S10 also has some fans but I don't have one of them.

Either of those 2 units will handle most any S2 you throw at them, if the rest of your system can get the signal to the receiver.

Are you getting plain DVB-S signals solidly? If so I would also suspect the TT-3200 cards. Their demod chip is of a very old design and suffers poor S2 performance compared to current generation units. I have a TT-3200 and the latest Prof cards, and difference is night and day on S2. I highly recommend the Prof 7301, 7500 and 8000 cards unless you want the ability to receive 16 or 32APSK. That solution costs about 4X as much.

There isn't ANY DVB-s signal from 58 west up to 139 west that I can't get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)