Did Voom damage or help the HD future?

motorcycle_rider

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 8, 2004
Northeast Michigan
I have been contemplating this for some time now. I am just interested in what other people are thinking on this. I here arguments that Voom is good for HD because of the competition, but in my opinion the may have actually damaged the future of HD. First the offered free programming in the beginning to lure people into getting HD service through them. In my opinion this was not very successful. There was an extremely low subscriber base, but also take into consideration the large buy in amount needed up front. Then there was the free install lease option wich also failed in my opinion. Are other providers seeing this as people don't want HD even if it is free?

Now Voom is increasing there rates (supposedly) come January 1st. It is also my understanding that new subscribers are already paying higher rates. If Voom has some success in its subscriber base by then will other providers see this as... People want HD whatever the cost?

So this brings up two questions in my mind.

1. Is Voom helping the HDTV future and will they continue to or not to?

2. Is Voom's style of competition beneficial to the consumers such as us?

The only ones V* hurt was themselves because they took a great idea with tremendous potential and turned it into a giant mess fraught with crappy equipment, poor customer service and empty promises.

I have no doubts that if D*, E* or your local cable co. offered the same premium HD channels as V* (and maybe even a few of their proprietary channels) people would sign up quite rapidly.

V* initially generated some real excitement earlier this year ....but they did just about everything wrong since then (just about).

They still have the best lineup of HD programming anywhere....but it all ends right there. And sadly, thats just not enough for many people to stick it out.

The realities of VOOM's billing department is so bad, that I have disconnected. I really liked the HD but the company is so incredibly hard to deal with that it has ruined much of my enthusiasm. I am sticking with D*, have their selection of HD, and am disgruntled with it. Hopefully the number of channels will increase over time.

But the excitement that VOOM created, they also destroyed with abominable policies and proceedures, lies, deceptions, subcontract install nightmares, etc., etc.

Even in my most creative moment, I would not be able to figure out how to destroy a company more effectively than VOOM has demonstrated.

This will most likely end up as a case study in modern business class of what not to do. Treat the customer like a rodent whenever possible.

So, my opinion, they have significantly damaged HD in general, not only the subscriber enthusiasm, but also many of the associated markets, like STBs, HDTVs, recorders, etc. To HD, VOOM took the wind out of the sails. Example 1: E* is slowing way down now regarding HD, seeing VOOM dying on the vine, Example 2: D* is not motivated to provide more HD although some think cable is a threat sufficient to keep the momentum going.

Well VOOM has killed the momentum. It will probably take years to recover. Yes, VOOM has damaged HD.

Mr. Biggles said:
They still have the best lineup of HD programming anywhere....but it all ends right there. And sadly, thats just not enough for many people to stick it out.

I agree they do have the best lineup of HD available to me period. They are the only option In my opinion. But like you said is it enough? Hopefully the future will bring a strategy that will work them. Also this strategy needs to be compelling and a competitive option for the consumer.

Voom has screwed up their execution so badly that I hope no competitor tries to draw conclusions about the HD market from Voom's experience.

Other than here at the VOOM Forum, to the best of my knowledge I have never met anyone mano et mano who claimed to know anything about VOOM. If fact, even the D*, E* and Cable CSRs say, "VOOM? What's VOOM?" I do not see how VOOM could negatively impact the progression of HD.

Sorry but the question (in the past tense) assumes that V* is done! I think I still receive a signal from V*. Ask again when they actually fold and there's no more money. According to the SEC filing there is a $1 billion dollar to which $600 million is allocated to V*. So don't call the dog yet until he is dead.

I am wondering what the mainstream media will say when(if) Voom goes down(you all know the ones like Wall St. Journal,theStreet,etc)that keep reporting how Voom was such a bad idea for stock holders,or that guy who said the best thing for Voom would be if the rocket the satellite was in would blow up at launch,will they say Voom had a bad business plan and that is what did them in or just say that no one cares about HD(like that joke that Steve Martin said at the Oscars a couple of years ago when he said that this year the Oscars were being broadcast in HD,so 3 people out there can see it)

Sean Mota said:
Sorry but the question (in the past tense) assumes that V* is done! I think I still receive a signal from V*. Ask again when they actually fold and there's no more money. According to the SEC filing there is a $1 billion dollar to which $600 million is allocated to V*. So don't call the dog yet until he is dead.

My my what a change from Sean. Usually he justs deletes threads that have to do with Voom's demise (like he does mine). He must be in a good mood today.

Anway I agree with Tri-maniac's statement "When you kill off the early adopters, you kill the product." Alot of people are complete novices with technology and if they made the mistake of choosing Voom, they're mostly turned off to this whole "HD" thing. Eventually they'll come back when its more mainstream but there's no doubt Voom slowed down the HD revolution with an unreliable product and abismal customer svce.

zubinh said:
My my what a change from Sean. Usually he justs deletes threads that have to do with Voom's demise (like he does mine).

Oh how wrong you are... :D :D ? Don't guess...? Just look behind you!

Sorry for the long rant.

What happened with Voom was a shame. The Dolans had the right plan and came at the right time. All they had to do was execute it. Why did they make a dish more susceptible to rain fade? Why did they make STB's that lock up often? Why did they not follow up on the quality of their installers? Why take so long to introduce a DVR? and even worse why can't they send out a correct bill? These are not difficult things to do. They're already in the Video delivery business its not like they make cheddar cheese or somethin.

Imagine if they took the time to get it right. They'd be sittin on a million subscribers and have D* & E* launching more rockets than macy's does on july 4. But they didnt. So now you're left at the mercy of a bozo (Charlie) who cant find anything "compelling" and cable companies with high prices and inferior technology. Chase Carey (CEO of D*) believes in a HD future but now he can afford to take his sweet time about it. :mad:

riffjim4069 said:
Other than here at the VOOM Forum, to the best of my knowledge I have never met anyone mano et mano who claimed to know anything about VOOM. If fact, even the D*, E* and Cable CSRs say, "VOOM? What's VOOM?" I do not see how VOOM could negatively impact the progression of HD.

I'd have to agree. Most people I've ever asked have never heard of Voom. A couple of the funnier replies have been "What's Zoom?" :haha

Voom may be getting a bit popular with the E* guys that want HD. I think they're getting a bit tired of buying new Receivers every six months.

I don't believe that Voom has hurt HD, Voom has only hurt themselves.

Did Voom damage or help the HD future?
I don't know about the future (time will tell), but one thing I know for sure: VOOM has helped me and others in the present!

From watching 3-4 HD channels with occasional HD content I suddenly leap-frogged to watching dozens of channels with 24-hour commercial-free HD programming.

From getting an HD treat once or twice a day on so-called "Premium HD" channels or on OTA, I suddenly jumped to watching HD ALL THE TIME!

VOOM has showed me (and many others) that TV can be HD-only, commercial-free and at a reasonable monthly price. And whether VOOM will stay or not for years to come, now I know what to demand from any satellite or cable provider. Nothing less!

How can VOOM have hurt HD? They have such a small subscriber base to this point that hardly anyone knows who they are. And to those that do know VOOM, the biggest problem without question has been installation issues. Those that have it installed properly love it. I know without a doubt if VOOM can get the install process straight they will not just survive, but be a serious competitor in the satellite market. D* can promise HD all they want but I'll believe it when I see it.

VOOM opened my eyes to the possibility of HDTV. Before VOOM came along there just wasn't enough HD content available to warrant the price of an HD television.

It will be sad for all of us if they don't make it, but I think they have at least temporarily given a push to the other providers. Not only for more HD content but to explore newer technologies like MPEG-4.
That push seems to have gone away from what I have read on this forum, but I think they have started a revolution.

Hopefully they can regroup and finish what they started.

I for one plan on subscribing as soon as I can recover from the cost of my new HD television and the arrival of a new baby. That is if there is still a VOOM service to subscribe to.

Our family won't consider another service unless they offer more HD and more commercial-free proprietary channels. We bought our HDTV because Voom was available. With no Voom, we still wouldn't own a HDTV because the other providers still don't offer enough HD. So, Voom certainly helped HDTV by getting a sale from us, and I am sure from lots of others.

I can't see how Voom hurt HDTV. If there were 20 more start-ups just like Voom, even with all the same problems, their combined effort would help HDTV.

There is always a possibility of another provider catching-up or surpassing Voom's offerings. The consumer comes out ahead no matter what. Meanwhile, there is VOOM to enjoy right now.

I don't think Voom's had much impact on HD. Voom's hurt itself and US, the customers. That's right, US! Imagine if instead of 25K subs, they had 250K and growing. How different things would be? Would Cuban forget whatever beef he had with Cablevision and cough up HDnet? What about InHD? Then we'd be able to brag that Voom has the most and best HD, without the anti-voomers laughing in our face "yeah enjoy your auction and screensaver". It would mean Voom would have more cash to play with, meaning more new movies, more new programming on the exclusive channels (I'm sick of Eye over Italy; I'm still seeing the same handful of videos on Rave.) Success breeds success while failure just spirals downward.

Do you think the delay in mpeg4/dvr/big dish is just technological? No! They're hemorrhaging money; that's why they have to push back expansion plans.

You say you don't care if Voom dies, you'll just enjoy it while it last. But that's missing the point. Because Voom coulda been a contender.

Did Voom Hurt HD's Future?

What is and will hurt the future of HD more than anything is the FCC mandating all stations big and small to upgrade to HD without offering any financial compensation. That said, HD, like all advances in technology will eventually be so common as to be passe. Or, it will be pushed out by a cheaper, better, higher resolution alternative. (Man that'd be sweet!).

What Voom didn't have was the patience to wait until HD-capable equipment fell enough in price to allow the majority easy access. Remeber when stereo broadcasts started? Most folks didn't have the means or know any better than to even try to educate themselves on how to hear it in their homes. Now you can damn near get a Dolby 5.1 reciever as a Cracker Jack prize.

It sucks, but regardless of what happens to Voom, the world will turn, and the rest of us will just have to wait for everyone else to catch up.