Difference between a H24 and c31

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
Can someone please give me a brief explanation of the difference between getting a H24 and a C31(mini-geni client), for a second t.v. I have one genie right now, and am not totally sure about what is the difference between the two. Thanx!

The basic difference is the C31 doesn't have it's own tuner, it uses one from the HR34. An H24 does have it's own tuner.

The HR34 requires a swm type setup and has five tuners of it's own. If you have a complex setup with other dvrs or receivers, you might have to upgrade the wiring if there are more than eight tuners. Also, for now, the C31 has more control over recordings on the HR34, but that's supposed to change with a software upgrade at some point. There may be other reasons, but that's about all I am aware of.

The HR34 requires a swm type setup and has five tuners of it's own. If you have a complex setup with other dvrs or receivers, you might have to upgrade the wiring if there are more than eight tuners. Also, for now, the C31 has more control over recordings on the HR34, but that's supposed to change with a software upgrade at some point. There may be other reasons, but that's about all I am aware of.

One thing I thought of was this, if your hr-34 were to die, I believe you lose the use of the mini-geni(c31), but if I am correct the H34 would continue to be able to watch t.v., am I thinking correctly on that??

I don't have an HR34, so I'm not exactly sure of the setup. If your HR34 were to croak, you may need to do some rewiring, but yes, the H24 would still work, the C31 wouldn't. See, you know more than I do about them! :)

If I may ask, why would a person choose one over the other, I am confused there.

simplicity really. Most folks want DVR options on all TV's. The C31 automatically had DVR functions whereas the H24 (or any HD reciever) wouldnt unless you hit record or are watching a pre-recorded show

One thing I thought of was this, if your hr-34 were to die, I believe you lose the use of the mini-geni(c31), but if I am correct the H34 would continue to be able to watch t.v., am I thinking correctly on that??

yes.
If the HR34 dies you're screwed if you had C31's. The H24 because of its own separate tuner would still function fine

I chose a C31 to give me complete control of the DVR functions, series managers, etc on my HR34 from the second room I personally use the most.

I do have an H24 in our kitchen and it is an excellent receiver.

The C31 can do dvr functions and set recordings in that same room to be on the hr-34. It is connected to the hr-34 not the dish so if the hr-34 goes out then the C31 does too, same thing with recording, if your set up has one hr 34 and one c31 and you are recording 5 things, then you can not do live tv.
so it depends on how you watch tv, if you know you are not going to use all 5 tuners to record then get the c31.
For the hd receiver you just get the function of watching the play list, and you can watch live tv if you are recording 5 things on the hr34

i can clarify or give more info if you need it

An H24 is a receiver and the lease fee is around $100. The HR24 is a dvr and will run you around $200 to lease. Those amounts are just to get the box, the monthly fees would be the same since you already pay a dvr account fee.

An H24 is a receiver and the lease fee is around $100. The HR24 is a dvr and will run you around $200 to lease. Those amounts are just to get the box, the monthly fees would be the same since you already pay a dvr account fee.

So, I guess what you are saying is that I could have another dvr to use. I did think about that but I am a single guy and the HR34 is MORE than enough DVR for me, I really only wanted a HD receiver not another dvr.

Good enough reason then not to get another dvr.

Seeing you already have a DVR, I would have went for the HR24 instead if you swing the money.

Hey, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, I am not sure what you mean, could you explain, thanks

Thanks Chip ... I was away for a bit.

Good enough reason then not to get another dvr.

Personally, if you can swing it and you already pay for the DVR function, theres NO reason to NOT get a DVR along with your next recvr in my opinion, your already paying for the DVR functions, you can never have too many recording devices available ....

Jmo.

Personally, if you can swing it and you already pay for the DVR function, theres NO reason to NOT get a DVR along with your next recvr in my opinion, your already paying for the DVR functions, you can never have too many recording devices available ....

Jmo.
Thanks for the info, I live in Columbus by the way, GO BUCKS!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)