Difference between H20 & H21

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cameron3395

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Difference between HR20 & HR21

What is the difference between the two and which is better?

Last edited:
From what I've read, the H20 is silver and has an OTA tuner built in and the H21 (I have this one) is black with no OTA tuner. Both are HD receivers and are MPEG-4 capable.

Can you still record OTA HD on the H21 if your tv has a hd tuner in it?

Thank you for all your help. That sucks. Wonder why they didn't include that possibility in the HR21 like the HR20? Isn't the HR21 newer?

Can you still record OTA HD on the H21 if your tv has a hd tuner in it?
Both the H20 and the H21 are HD receivers only, not HD DVRs.

To record HD programming (either OTA or from the satellite), you'd need either an HR20 or HR21 unit.

The H21 and HR21s both require an OTA module (AM 21) to receive OTA programming.

Hope this answers your question.

I believe that may be why dcowboy 7 replied the way he did. :)

And, whether your TV has an ATSC HD tuner makes no difference on whether the HR21 can record HD.

I also believe the HR20 has the Rf remote, while the HR21 does not. For me personally, on the non-dvr side, is why I went with the H20 instead of the H21. I may be wrong on the dvr side though...

What is the difference in how many HD hours you can record? I know you can record 50 HD hours with the HR21 but how many with the HR20?

The catch is that you can request an HR20 from D* during new customer sign-up, but there are no real guarantees that you will have the HR20 installed by the HSP. I am "fortunate" to have the HR20 because my DMA is not HD-LIL yet, and it would suck to not be able to record my favorite network shows in HD.

Best of luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)