Diginets on 97w

Discussion in 'C-BAND Satellite Discussion' started by etlam34, Apr 17, 2019.

1. etlam34

etlam34 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Family

Wow! I'm amazed that i was able to pick up the diginets on 97w with my prime focus 4' dish and my titanium c band lnb! I'll try with my geosatpro and conical scalar ring if i can get better results.

spongella, Brct203, FTA4PA and 2 others like this.
  2. etlam34

Yup! Signal is stronger on the geosatpro with conical
    Scaler ring!

3. spongella

spongella SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

Okay, new one on me, please explain what diginets are on 97W. Hopefully it'll involve spending more money and buy new parts hi hi.

Thanks a bunch and never to old to learn.

raydio and johnnynobody like this.
  4. etlam34

Diginets are sub channels that you can normally find on your OTA antenna. Here in canada, there are none! So i have to rely on what i can find on fta satellites. 97w and 101w have several diginets available and they usually tend to have stronger c band signals than other networks.

spongella likes this.
  5. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb Dogs have owners, cats have staff
    Pub Member / Supporter

How come?

6. Titanium

Titanium AI6US
    Lifetime Supporter

Mind if I take a stab at this?

Primarily because lobbyists in the Canadian satellite industry successfully lobbied to all but kill the digital transition to ATSC. This resulted in the majority of OTA in Canada to be under or not served by digital OTA.

2nd is the strict carriage requirements of Canadian originated network programming. This limits the networks or content that can be offered, which requires an offsetting percentage of Canadian content.

Cham, osu1991, raydio and 2 others like this.
  7. comfortably_numb

Pub Member / Supporter

So they're still analog NTSC?

8. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

No, they actually shut down much of their OTA broadcasting. If you don't subscribe to one of the satellite providers, etc, you don't get anything.

spongella and Titanium like this.
  9. comfortably_numb

Pub Member / Supporter

That sucks. I love the USA!!!! :usa

10. spongella

Pub Member / Supporter

Ditto that.

comfortably_numb likes this.
  11. etlam34

Amen to that! Since i live in a french part of canada, i only get global tv from montreal (quebec city repeater) on my OTA antenna. There are only 5 channels available. People living closer to the USA border are lucky, they can have both US and canadian networks. On average they will receive 20-30 channels maybe even more! They shut down the cbc tv transmitter back in 2013! (Canadian federal tv, funded by government funds). They only kept the transmitters up in major markets. If they want to keep the cost down, they should unlock cbc and radio canada on 91w they could save a bunch of money that way! All fta receivers would be able to receive it since 91w uses dvb-s technology.

12. comfortably_numb

Pub Member / Supporter

I guess we're spoiled here then. I get 47 channels OTA. My parents in Ohio get more. My friend in Denver gets about 85.

wvman and spongella like this.
  13. etlam34

I hope atsc 3 helps our OTA situation in canada. Lots of People are dropping their cable subscription , streaming solutions like directv now and sling don’t seem to be picking up either.

spongella likes this.
  14. raydio

raydio K4ECP
    Supporting Founder Pub Member / Supporter

We only get 32 here in ABQ and a third of them are Spanish Programing

15. spongella

Pub Member / Supporter

This QTH is halfway between NYC and Philadelphia, have the best of both OTA worlds and thankful every day for that.

comfortably_numb likes this.
  16. Keith Brannen

Keith Brannen SatelliteGuys Pro

Just to clarify and add additional information to Brian's post. It wasn't just the satellite industry, it was also the cable and broadcasting industry! After all they are very intertwined (sound familiar? LOL!). The "big three" here in Canada, Shaw, Bell, and Rogers, own just about everything, including both satellite providers, cable companies, internet services, major networks, specialty channels, etc.

As far as OTA sub-channels, that was basically killed by the CRTC in 2002. If interested, see:
    ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2002-31 | CRTC
    Paragraph 35 and on shows the decision, but basically this is the telling sentence (from paragraph 37): "Their positive contribution can only be maximized, however, if the services are truly innovative and non-duplicative of existing services." In others word, NO sub-channels (and if any new channel developed, they certainly would be only trying to get carriage (both subscription and advertising money) on satellite and cable, not for OTA (where they could only get advertising money). Therefore, there hasn't been any sub-channels (except I believe there is/was one local community sub-channel).

None of the American diginets are available in Canada (except OTA in the borders areas, and, of course FTA) though one channel I know of, YES TV, did at one time have a block of programming from Buzzr (with the Buzzr logo in full view).

What mainly was shut down was CBC/SRC in some major markets (that should not have been shutdown) and a lot of repeater towers for CBC/SRC as well as for other channels, and some loss of small market channels.

NOTE: We do have a lot of American specialty channels, some without any CANCON (CANadian CONtent) as well as some which are joint US-Canada ventures that have mostly US content.

One major difference, is that on cable and satellite, we get locals from across the country and can time shift, whereas in the US you are restricted to just your locals. Guess it all depends on who the CRTC or FCC listens to (and it isn't the consumer)!

Titanium likes this.
  17. comfortably_numb

Pub Member / Supporter

I'll take free OTA over the ability to have locals from different cities. Almost all local news broadcasts are available on those stations' websites today.

18. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

I’ll take National Network feeds without weather scrolls, news alerts, watch our sister network alerts, etc.. over the main locals. The subchannels are nice, but they’re so bitstarved and displayed with the wrong ratios now, that I don’t care anymore.

19. comfortably_numb

Pub Member / Supporter

Yes, I do enjoy the national NBC feed on 103. High quality picture (22 mbps) and 5.1 audio and few commercials.

osu1991 likes this.
  20. Keith Brannen

Keith Brannen SatelliteGuys Pro

I would definitely like a more robust OTA than the meagre OTA we now have! However, time shifting, for that show you missed, forgot to record, messed up recording, or wanting to watch at a different time, is nice. However, my main point was that each country does have some form of "protectionism" enforced by the FCC or CRTC which usually is not consumer oriented.

osu1991 and Titanium like this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...