Diginets on 97w

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
each country does have some form of "protectionism" enforced by the FCC or CRTC which usually is not consumer oriented.

Well, that's a topic for a whole other debate, but I suppose a comparison could be made to the current "repack" and also the selling off of some of the C-band spectrum. Many people argued that neither of those efforts were very consumer-oriented, but as they say, it's always about the money :)

I’m having a hard time understanding why some dvbs2 signals are easy to receive with my 4 ft dishes while regular dvbs signals seems harder to lock and keep a good signal on them.

Best example so far:

The diginet mux on 97w 69% quality

Bounce, grit , escape, laff , courtv

3890 H 12500

And amg on 3847 v 2200 is barely receivable at 39% quality

Same thing for latv at 38% quality

3857 v 2940

According to tek2000

A 4ft dish will get you about 25% of c band channels

A 6ft dish will get you about 50% of c band channels

A 8ft dish will get you about 90% of c band channels

The major difference between those two transponders is the FEC (Forward Error Correction). FEC is the amount of redundant data that is sent to correct for missing data. The higher the FEC ratio, the more a signal must be free of errors.

3857 V 2940 LATV FEC is 7/8. This means that 7 out of every 8 bits of data must be received without error for the remaining 1 bit of redundant data to be able to correct the signal for decoding. 87.5%

3890 H 12500, the E.W. Scripps mux FEC is 2/3. This means that 2 out of every 3 bits of data must be received without error for the remaining 1 bit of redundant data to be able to correct the signal for decoding. 66%

LATV requires 87.5% of the signal to be received error free to decode and the E.W. Scripps mux only requires 66% of the signal to be received error free to correct the signal for decoding.

The size of dish necessary to receive C-band services will depend on many variables: The strength of the target transponder, the modulation type, symbol rate, FEC, adjacent satellite interference, accuracy and efficiency of the reflector/feedhorn, LNB amplification noise, feedline loss, receiver sensitivity, etc.

Hope this information helps! :)

I agree with Brian. I use a minibud just a 1/2 db off can kill my signal. It used to be better 5 years ago i could get a lot more. LATV i use to get but not anymore. Power levels to play a factor too.

I guess we're spoiled here then. I get 47 channels OTA. My parents in Ohio get more. My friend in Denver gets about 85.

I used to have locals out here until they switched to digital transmissions. Now, no one out here get them. I had an antenna on a 35 foot tower at the house, nothing. Had another 60 foot tower just below the top of the mountain behind the house, nothing. Had nothing at the antenna site, so there was nothing to send down to the house. Digital is fine if you're on flat ground or or near the transmitter site.

It's just as well with us because most of what's on the networks is garbage programming anyway, so we really don't miss them. The only reason most people out here want the local networks is because they announce the school closings because of bad weather. :)

I used to have locals out here until they switched to digital transmissions. Now, no one out here get them. I had an antenna on a 35 foot tower at the house, nothing. Had another 60 foot tower just below the top of the mountain behind the house, nothing. Had nothing at the antenna site, so there was nothing to send down to the house. Digital is fine if you're on flat ground or or near the transmitter site.

It's just as well with us because most of what's on the networks is garbage programming anyway, so we really don't miss them. The only reason most people out here want the local networks is because they announce the school closings because of bad weather. :)

I have a yagi in the attic with a 30 dB preamp; I'm about ~45 miles from the towers. Have you tried a preamp?

Reactions: wvman
The major difference between those two transponders is the FEC (Forward Error Correction). FEC is the amount of redundant data that is sent to correct for missing data. The higher the FEC ratio, the more a signal must be free of errors.

3857 V 2940 LATV FEC is 7/8. This means that 7 out of every 8 bits of data must be received without error for the remaining 1 bit of redundant data to be able to correct the signal for decoding. 87.5%

3890 H 12500, the E.W. Scripps mux FEC is 2/3. This means that 2 out of every 3 bits of data must be received without error for the remaining 1 bit of redundant data to be able to correct the signal for decoding. 66%

LATV requires 87.5% of the signal to be received error free to decode and the E.W. Scripps mux only requires 66% of the signal to be received error free to correct the signal for decoding.

The size of dish necessary to receive C-band services will depend on many variables: The strength of the target transponder, the modulation type, symbol rate, FEC, adjacent satellite interference, accuracy and efficiency of the reflector/feedhorn, LNB amplification noise, feedline loss, receiver sensitivity, etc.

Hope this information helps! :)

Excellent post. Explains a lot about differences in reception of some channels on the same satellite. Start TV made some changes recently that dramatically improved reception on a 7.5 dish. If the rest followed suit, there would be no reason to switch out the 7.5 for a 10 footer to improve reception on the other channels. H&I and Decades could stand some of the same improvements. :D

I realize these channels aren't up there for our entertainment, but following suit with Start TV would make it easier for their affiliates as well.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have a yagi in the attic with a 30 dB preamp; I'm about ~45 miles from the towers. Have you tried a preamp?

We've tried several different options, including different antenna's and amplifiers, but the signal just isn't there. I have a friend that works for the local cable company in the engineering end and he came out and had the same results. We are down in a valley on the south slope of a mountain between us and the transmitter site. Oddly enough, all of the channels in this area are to the north of us.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
A 7.5' reflector may or may not be 2 degree compliant. Either way, it would not be very effective at rejecting adjacent satellite or terrestrial interference.

Other than some consumer STBs having issues with the transponder spacing and occassional decoding woes, the Weigel SCPC services have an great footprint and not too difficult to receive. I doubt that Weigel gives much consideration in the link budget to reliably deliver to a small reflector. ;) Likely their affiliates have much larger reflectors which would not require much data redundancy except during inclement conditions.

We can dream though... LOL :D

A 7.5' reflector may or may not be 2 degree compliant. Either way, it would not be very effective at rejecting adjacent satellite or terrestrial interference.

Other than some consumer STBs having issues with the transponder spacing and occassional decoding woes, the Weigel SCPC services have an great footprint and not too difficult to receive. I doubt that Weigel gives much consideration in the link budget to reliably deliver to a small reflector. ;) Likely their affiliates have much larger reflectors which would not require much data redundancy except during inclement conditions.

We can dream though... LOL :D

I'm getting ready to go get a 10 foot dish next week. Not long ago, I couldn't find any and this winter, I managed to locate 7 of them within 15 miles of my house. I don't know how I missed these. All of them were in plain view of the road. :) When I get one, I'm taking down the 7.5 and replacing it with a 10 foot.

I get a better quality on start tv than on the lesea channels on 99w.

Same here. Le Sea used to be quite a bit stronger in the past. I re-scanned Galaxy 19 and found Court TV, but I also ended up with duplicates of Laff, Grit etc. I have Laff on 3951/V/15999 and again on 6889/H/12495. Both are 1080P resolution. The same with Grit and the others. :confused: I love this hobby.

Reactions: norman881

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)