Digital Camera Memory Card ?

Frank Jr.

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
If a memory card is taken out of a camera and stored will it keep the data stored on it permanently. Reason I ask is that the first memory card I purchased was replaced with a larger capacity one about two years ago. I checked the old one and it had nothing on it. I don't remember erasing it though.

D

docthy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 3, 2007
ok, if you see your old card, you probably can recupera your pic, with a software, make a google search, and remember, unused card can be lock!

charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
If a memory card is taken out of a camera and stored will it keep the data stored on it permanently. Reason I ask is that the first memory card I purchased was replaced with a larger capacity one about two years ago. I checked the old one and it had nothing on it. I don't remember erasing it though.

They should save, but you can lose them if the card fails; you should always backup to disc and print.

stevelite

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 5, 2004
Something doesn't make sense.
Memory card should have kept all of your old data. I don't think this is the norm. If I were you try to test the card once again with new data and see what happens.
I suspect that #1 you forgotten erased #2 there was no data in the first place.

rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Something doesn't make sense.
Memory card should have kept all of your old data. I don't think this is the norm. If I were you try to test the card once again with new data and see what happens.
I suspect that #1 you forgotten erased #2 there was no data in the first place.

I agree, most likely the case.

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
There is one other possibility. Try a difference reader. We had, for some strange reason, an SD card that would be recognized on one reader but had no contents. Yet on other readers you could see the data. We figured it must have had something to do with how the card seated.