Digital Navigator cfl conversion

The contrast is astounding.

BHN put on a major rush to get the initial crappy product into our machines, but are in no hurry whatever to make them work right. Cool.

The rush was because of a contract running out with passport... BHN/TWC already invested Millions and Millions into the new software, and it made no business sense to renew a HUGE multimillion dollar contract with the maker of "Passport"... They are in a hurry to get things right, but snapping their finger will not get it done.

Lessee. If it saves money, we don't care how crappy the product is--give it to the customers anyway. Or, one could have said, "this product isn't ready for prime time...we need to extend the Passport contract."

And if indeed millions and millions were invested into this new crappy product, I'd say fire whoever was the project or contract manager for its development.

Lessee. If it saves money, we don't care how crappy the product is--give it to the customers anyway. Or, one could have said, "this product isn't ready for prime time...we need to extend the Passport contract."

And if indeed millions and millions were invested into this new crappy product, I'd say fire whoever was the project or contract manager for its development.

:clap :up :clap :up :clap

I thought you were a business owner? Sometimes you have to make business decisions for the good of the business.

Also the software works. I have it and have had 0 problem with it recording my programs. Sure there are features I would like, and it was a pain at first to learn. But the basic function of the software works fine. If you are having problems with it then its an individual problem and you need to have BHN come fix it perhaps replace the boxes. But the software is ready for primetime, its working. There are over 400k BHN digital customers in just the CFL Area... Less then a few % of the customers call to complain about the software not working. There of course were a lot more calls when the software first released but since there have been updates and since people have gotten used to the operation of it, the number of people complaining are low compared to the number of people who have the services.

I have 2 DVRS in my house (1 hd 1 std) and 2 regular boxes and I never have a problem with the core features. Recording, watching tv.

I mean as long as I can record and watch tv, the rest is just symantics that I can wait for them to work out. (like adding some new features etc)

If you can find something in my post that is not a fact, I will gladly recant it ;)

Its a business's job to make a profit. So worrying about the bottom line is VERY important to a business. Spending money when they dont need to (ie renewing passport contrat) makes 0 business sense.

There are many decisions made daily that upset some but make others happy. When dealing with over a million people in just one area, its hard to make everyone happy ;)

Dont know that there were any non-facts there. Not the point though. You described the wonderful experience you are having with the new software. You might consider reading what others are saying, however. Are they all lying?

Further, many of the complaints are not "it doesnt work" but rather the absence of sensible things that were in Passport, stupid implementations of functions, etc. Should I "call" because of what stupidly happens when you press the "play arrow?"

As for people not calling, we quickly learn how much that gets us.

What happens when you push Play? When I push play it doesnt do anything except play... unless you are watching a recorded program then it lets you watch in slow motion, which I find pretty neat. the old software had a similar feature as well. Cept it let you speed up and slow down the "slow mo" The new software lacks that...

If the complaints are only absence of features then I will agree with them 100% it does need more, but to say it was not ready for "prime time" was a silly statement. It was ready it works, and it made perfect sense to go with the software they already spent millions on then to spend another few million on passport (when they arleady have this software ready) What I was argueing above was merely that it was ready to take over for passport, and that it made perfect sense to move forward. Because now by releaseing the software their are now hundreds of thousands of people who can provide input on new ideas for its design. Improvments and new features will come, and they will come much quicker and more easily then they would of with passport.

The experiance I described formyself was to contrast what others were saying. Had nothing to do with lack of features but them saying the "core functions" didnt work. My experiance tells me otherwise. Sure it lacks some features id love to have, and it takes way to long to load up, but the core functions work, and I can wait for new updates for the new features ;)

I am not going to repeat all of the complaints that have been expressed on this board. Look them up yourself. And the play button has been explained before.

I hope the software developers listen better than you.

Oh shoot, OK. Since when would anyone logically think that when someone pushed PLAY, they really wanted to "go slow." Duh. I will grant this: I do see that they re-added the "time into this recording" info in one of the updates; it was something that was lost originally. If you want to push play to see how much of this show remains (a common use of the prior functionality), it goes into slow motion instead. How about using the double-arrow keys to change speed, either forward or backward, like everywhere else? Who decided to move speed change onto the play key?

Again, search the threads on this board. It appears that only "insiders" are happy with it. And many specific observations have been posted--not just "I don't like it."

Last edited:
Forgive me for not going back through pages of posts ;) A simple "The play button does this" would help..

Because when I hit play it makes the show go in slow motion. If yours does something different then mine then your box has a problem.

I am not talking just about the play button. That was but one example.

If you don't care to know the problems, so be it. I am not going to spend my time researching them again to save you the time.

Just hit the play button and tell me what it does its not that hard.. :rolleyes:

so far the only problems I heard of from here is it not recording all the shows, or cutting off shows etc. Which there could be a number of reasons for this to be happening.

and it lacks features (which is obvious) but it also has a lot of new features passport didnt.

I hit the play button it works neat I love slow mo, specially if its a recorded sports game and I want to see something again ;)

something that I've noticed after the software update....i have my box connected via hdmi to my surround sound. every couple of days, i have to reboot the box manually, in order for the surround sound to recognize the 5.1 from the HD channels....is this from the new software or the box? I have exchanged the box a couple of times and have same issue.

Just hit the play button and tell me what it does its not that hard.. :rolleyes:

No, it is not that hard, but neither is reading all that hard...I said before, "Oh shoot, OK. Since when would anyone logically think that when someone pushed PLAY, they really wanted to "go slow." Duh. I will grant this: I do see that they re-added the "time into this recording" info in one of the updates; it was something that was lost originally. If you want to push play to see how much of this show remains (a common use of the prior functionality), it goes into slow motion instead. How about using the double-arrow keys to change speed, either forward or backward, like everywhere else? Who decided to move speed change onto the play key?"

I recomend hitting the "Info" button to find out information on time remaining (Which is what I have always used even on Passport). Personnally I prefer the play button being the slow motion button.. Seeing how that is what it is on a ton of dvd players and other devices... Some have play/pause on the same button. The BHN remote though has a seperate pause button so using play to be the slow-mo makes sense.

Sure its somthing to get used to when you normally hit it for somthing else, but its not a defect or a problem ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)