Digital receiver questions...

scootertime

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
I am thinking of getting digital cable. I have a hdtv tuner in my tv, do I need to hook up a digital receiver to get the digital channels or can I plug in my cable line to the tv and watch digital content?

How is their HD service?
How is their DVR?

Anyone use Tivo with digital?

Thanks.

I am thinking of getting digital cable. I have a hdtv tuner in my tv, do I need to hook up a digital receiver to get the digital channels or can I plug in my cable line to the tv and watch digital content?

How is their HD service?
How is their DVR?

Anyone use Tivo with digital?

Thanks.

Does your TV have a QAM tuner? If so, you will be able to watch non encrypted digital channels. Usually that means just your local channels. Otherwise you're going to need one of cables digital receiver. Their HD service is excellent, all HD channels are very clear, as good as OTA. The DVR is worth every penny of the $12 month I pay for it, IMHO.

I agree with Bobby on every aspect of his post. If your HDTV set has a cable card you can use that to get all channels without needing a box too but I do believe Comcast charges a digital outlet fee or something so you will pay more just not as much as paying for a digital box.

Also if you area ever decides to offer HD channels using switched digital video technology your cable card won't be able to tune those channels in as I'm not aware of any HDTV set with a cable card slot that has the return RF and two-way communication ability needed for this.

So simple answer is that your more likely to need a digital box now and even more likely to need a digital box in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts