Digital TV transition OTA issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Please post your issues with OTA reception due to the digital TV transition and hopefully Directv will see it here. You should try rescanning or rerunning antenna setup first to see if there's new mappings being sent from Directv.

Receiver Model:
DMA/Market:
Zip Code:
Channel Call Letters:
Channel Number Showing in Guide:
Issue(s):

Receiver Model: HR21-100 with AM21
DMA/Market: Denver
Zip Code: 80021
Channel Call Letters: KBDI
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 38-2, 38-3
Issue(s): These channels are supposed to be virtual channels 12-2 and 12-3. They are also mapped to their old location of real channel 38 instead of 13 where they moved to on Friday night. 12-1 seems to be okay and was remapped this weekend correctly.

Receiver Model: HR20-700
DMA/Market: Toledo - OTA
Zip Code:43560
Channel Call Letters: WTOL 11, WTVG 13
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 11.1, 13.1
Issue(s):Everything worked fine after the transition, till this morning, now I have no channels at the above mentioned locations, however the sub channels .2 and .3 DO work.

Jimbo

Found another one..

Receiver Model: HR21-100 with AM21
DMA/Market: Denver
Zip Code: 80021
Channel Call Letters: KMGH
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 7-2
Issue(s): 7-1 works fine but 7-2 is getting a 721 error and should be mapped to 7-27 to work.

Receiver Model: HR21-100 - AM21
DMA/Market: Richmond Virginia
Zip Code:23838
Channel Call Letters:WWBT-DT
Channel Number Showing in Guide:12.1
Issue(s):This channel moved from UHF to VHF. I am getting no signal. I am only 12 miles from the station. All other locals via AM21 are ok.

Receiver Model: - HR23 w/AM21
DMA/Market: Orlando, FL
Zip Code: 32937
Channel Call Letters: WRDQ
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 27-1
Issue(s): This station changed frequency so I no longer get this channel since there is no way to re-scan.

Digital Transition & DirecTV problems

I am guessing that when one does an initial scan and inputs the primary and secondary zip codes that the HR20 sends a request to the sattelite for
current station info for both SAT and OTA channel numbers and frequencies
and that is what the receiver uses to tune in the OTA stations - so there is no actual scan of available OTA signals.

The question then becomes - when will DTV have all the correct OTA frequency
data so we can receive the full compliment of stations.

I am also guessing that the 771 error message has something to do with the
sat not sending down the correct info cause my OTA signal strength is over 90 but I still get the 771 error message.

DMA/Market: Dayton, OH - OTA
Zip Code: 45402
Channel Call Letters: WPTDDT
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 16-2 thru 16-6
Issue(s):Everything worked fine after the transition until yesterday when I began getting a 771 error when I tried to tune into 16-6 HD. Sub channels 16-2 thru 16-5 worked fine until this evening. Now having same problem with those as well. I've reset and rescanned. The signal strength is 90+ for all channels.

DMA/Market: Chicago, IL
Zip Code: 60914
Channel Call Letters: WCIU-DT
Channel Number Showing in Guide:26-1 26-2,26-3,26-4,26-5,26-6
Issue(s):WCIU DT 26.1 is displayed as 48-1 in the guide when it should be displayed in the guide as 26.1. 26-5 is missing. That channel has been added, and it's title is "That" or What's up with that?

DMA/Market: Chicago, IL
Zip Code: 60914
Channel Call Letters:WMLW - DT
Channel Number Showing in Guide:41-1
Issue(s): WMLW is not a local channel of Chicago. Its actually a local channel of Milwalkee and is not recivable in the Chicago DMA, unless there is Tropo.

Receiver Model: HR20-700 (2 of them)
DMA/Market: Houston
Zip Code: 77379
Channel Call Letters: KHOU
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 11-1,11-2
Issue(s): One receiver detects and displays the channel fine even though the signal strength is low. The other will not detect it and gets no signal acquired when viewing the signal meter.

Receiver Model: H20-600
DMA/Market: Phoenix, AZ
Zip Code: 85085
Channel Call Letters: KSAZ, KPNX, KNXV
Channel Number Showing in Guide: KSAZ 10-1, KSAZ 10-2, KPNX 12-1 (twice), KPNX-2 (twice), KNXV 15-1 (twice), KNXV 15-2 (twice)

I called the tech weenies at Directv. Here's what I told them:

When I rescanned, I got new plus old channels listed in the EDIT page. I can look at the signal strength and only half of the listed channels for any one station have a signal. Anyway, I go into the EDIT page and select all of the listed channels for the three problem stations. When I go the the GUIDE, only the old channels are listed. I can't watch the new channels at their new frequencies, because they don't make from the EDIT list to the guide.

They are going to investigate!

Receiver Model: HR21 w/AM21
DMA/Market: Green Bay, WI
Zip Code: 54304
Channel Call Letters: WLUK
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 11-1
Issue: Prior to analog shut off, this channel was broadcast digitally on channel 51. They petitioned the FCC to move back to 11 after the analog shut off. Now that they are on 11 again my AM21 just searches for signal.

Receiver Model: HR20 x4
DMA/Market: Panama City, FL
Zip Code: 32401
Channel Call Letters: WJHG
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 7-1
Issue(s):

Everything was fine since the changeover until last night (Tuesday 06/17/09). I can no longer receive WJHGs main HD feed, 7-1. The subfeeds all come in fine (-2, -3, -4). Signal strength is good on all. This has happened on all 4 of my HR20s, 2 -100 & 2 -700s.

I have reran the OTA setup a few times and done resets & reboots - nothing has helped. I can receive 7-1 fine on my TVs OTA tuner so it seems it's a D* issue. They did move from VHF8 to VHF7 but I have been getting them fine since the move until last night.

--UPDATE--

I got my 7-1 working again. Not sure if it was related to the changeover or not. I did different steps on each HR20 until I got it back. I did:

HR20-700 - OTA setup, OTA setup, menu reset, OTA setup -> working
HR20-700 - red button reset, OTA setup, menu reset -> working
HR20-100 - OTA setup, menu reset, OTA setup, menu reset, poweroff reboot -> working
HR20-100 - OTA setup, menu reset -> working

Last edited:
Receiver Model: HR20, & HR21, 21 Pro, 22 & 23 with AM21
DMA/Market: Columbia, Jefferson City, MO
Zip Code:
Channel Call Letters: KQFX
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 22-1
Issue(s): New channel (Fox HD) online on June 12, but Directv data base does not include it, so it cannot be tuned in.

DMA/Market: Toledo - OTA
Zip Code:43560
Channel Call Letters: WTOL 11, WTVG 13
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 11.1, 13.1
Issue(s):Everything worked fine after the transition, till this morning, now I have no channels at the above mentioned locations, however the sub channels .2 and .3 DO work.

Jimbo

Happy to report that MY issues have been fixed :)

From post #8:
DMA/Market: Dayton, OH - OTA
Zip Code: 45402
Channel Call Letters: WPTDDT
Channel Number Showing in Guide: 16-2 thru 16-6
Issue(s):Everything worked fine after the transition until yesterday when I began getting a 771 error when I tried to tune into 16-6 HD. Sub channels 16-2 thru 16-5 worked fine until this evening. Now having same problem with those as well. I've reset and rescanned. The signal strength is 90+ for all channels.
Still not getting WPTD signals or updated lineup. I received the following information from WPTD via email:

We changed our channel line up last Friday June 12th. The new
line up moves the 16HD from 16.6 to 16.1 and likewise on Ch. 14, see
below;

New Ch. Lineup
16.1 16HD
16.2 16Again
16.3 16Create
16.4 16Ohio
16.5 16DT

Old Lineup
16.2 16DT
16.3 16Again
16.4 16Create
16.5 16Ohio
16.6 16HD

I know that we have informed Tribune and DirecTV receives their
listing from them. I will verify that the listing service has
acknowledged the changes to our programming we have sent them...

Thank you
George Hopstetter

Solution to lost sub-channels

After six agonizing calls to DirecTV and two emails, I finally got someone to listen to me about the Phoenix locals after rescanning.

I won't repeat the symptoms from my post above, but I told the woman that I needed to clear the memory location where the scanned channels are stored. Earlier calls had gotten me numerous people who wanted me to check my antenna cable!

She said to try a factory default reset. Even though it was frustrating to have to go through everything again, the reset caused my receiver to find only the new versions of the channels that had moved.

All is well.

After six agonizing calls to DirecTV and two emails, I finally got someone to listen to me about the Phoenix locals after rescanning.

I won't repeat the symptoms from my post above, but I told the woman that I needed to clear the memory location where the scanned channels are stored. Earlier calls had gotten me numerous people who wanted me to check my antenna cable!

She said to try a factory default reset. Even though it was frustrating to have to go through everything again, the reset caused my receiver to find only the new versions of the channels that had moved.

All is well.
Do you lose recorded programs with a factory default reset? I've tried everything but that, and not sure if I want to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)