Direct Burial RG-6 Coax Results?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Flooded cable isn't all about the PVC cover (or jacket). Burial cable has a self-healing adhesive sealant between the jacket and encasing the braid to prevent water/moisture infiltration if the jacket is nicked or pierced. If you live in a more arid location, this is not much of an issue unless varmints nibble... Once the jacket is compromised, regular coax cable can wick moisture/water in the braided shield.

Slightly different, but related subject: Coax cable can become a small pipe once water gets inside. On runs with a vertical drop, I have observed water dripping out of a f-fitting. On the test bench we have seen several STBs damaged by water entering through the tuner f-fitting. Several times I have been thankful that the installer installed a ground block to effectively dam the water flow from reaching the equipment. :cool:

I buried a length of 1-1/2" PVC (black) water hose rated for burial for my cables out to the dishes. Easy to run extra cables and also has an extension cord running through in case I need power out there. It's about a foot deep, and I use a standard grey electrical connector at the dish end where it goes into a large junction box, and a 90 deg at the house where it enters though a PVC conduit of the same size. There's about 70' between the house and the dishes. It was all glued and I believe it is water proof, everything is dry in there so far. The ends need to be sealed to prevent moisture entering during the winter; I use electricians putty, it's easy to pull out if need be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)