Directivo Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HeyBeerMan

Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
I have been trying at this for 2 weeks and still have had no luck. I need help setting up a multiswitch for my Samsung 4120 Directivo.

Here the situation:

I have an oval, 3-LNB dish that was installed in my apartment prior to me getting here. There are FOUR cables coming out of the dish - (keep in mind its 3 LNB) - two are into the living room, one to each bedroom. THEY ALL WORK INDIVIDUALLY WITH THE SAME RECEIVER WHEN TESTED (just to show you each input works).

The problem is in my living room. I have a Samsung 360 HD Receiver and a Samsung 4120 Directivo. If I plug both LNB sources into Sat 1 & 2 of the Tivo - works perfectly. If I plug either LNB direct source into the HD receiver, works each time. If I plug one into Sat 1 of the Tivo, and one into the HD - works great. You get the idea.

So I bought a 2x4 Multiswitch. I plugged one LNB direct source into LNB 1 input on the switch; LNB direct source two into LNB 2 on the switch.

RX1 output into Sat 1; RX2 into the HD; RX3 into Sat 2; RX4 is just plugged in (extra receiver is plugged in on Sundays for football).

During the "Test Signal Strength" portion of the Directivo setup, it finds all three satellites 101 A; 119 B; 110 C. On most transponders it is getting a good signal (between 80-100) and it's getting something on each one.

Then I proceed to "Confirming Setup" and it says:

Multiswitch: None
Satellites, Sat in 1: 101 (A): ok; 119 (B): not detected; 110 (C): not detected.

Satellites, Sat in 2: 101 (A): ok; 119 (B): not detected; 110 (C): not detected

WARNING! A problem was detected.

I am stumped. I tried several forums and they describe this type of setup with a 2x4 switch, and still I have no success. Please give me some good help overnight!

Thank you

BeerMan

Any outputs from a 2x4 multiswitch will only be able to acess Sat A. In order to increase the number of outputs that can acess all three sats you'll need to connect all 4 lines from the dish to a CASCADABLE 4x8 (or 5x8) multiswitch.

If you tell the DTiVo during set-up that it's connected to a round dish you should be fine (you shouldn't get any warnings of errors being detected), just keep in mind that it will only be able to acess sat A, but that shouldn't matter with your SD DTiVo. However, you're going to want the HD receiver to be able to access all 3 sats and it won't be able to do that if it's getting it's feed from the 2x4.

I'm having the same problem, but I just have a DTivo with 2 lines coming from the satellite and only one other receiver connected. Does this mean that I need another multiswitch to access SAT B/119?

Speaking of the Terk multi switch I have it mounted outside under the eve so only driving rain could get to it. Is their a known heat issue for the amplifiers inside. Now that the weather has cooled off my signal levels have increased.

VinPro said:
Any outputs from a 2x4 multiswitch will only be able to acess Sat A. In order to increase the number of outputs that can acess all three sats you'll need to connect all 4 lines from the dish to a CASCADABLE 4x8 (or 5x8) multiswitch.

If you tell the DTiVo during set-up that it's connected to a round dish you should be fine (you shouldn't get any warnings of errors being detected), just keep in mind that it will only be able to acess sat A, but that shouldn't matter with your SD DTiVo. However, you're going to want the HD receiver to be able to access all 3 sats and it won't be able to do that if it's getting it's feed from the 2x4.

That disappoints me becaues the other 2 lines out from my dish are to the bedrooms and I am not going to take the time to rewire in this apartment complex. But that will be handy in the future.

However, I did just let it go with finding only Sat A, so I think it will be okay for the DirecTivo. As for HD, I actually am going to discontinue using the HD programming from DTV anyway because I only use ESPN & ESPN 2 HD - the rest needs to be off an off-air antenna to get my local channels in HD.

Thanks for your help.

I am assuming that the HD receiver only needs to be connected to all three for HD purposes - not for SD.

HeyBeerMan said:
I am assuming that the HD receiver only needs to be connected to all three for HD purposes - not for SD.
The HD receiver can be set up to receive sat A only if you want......just be sure to tell it during set-up that you're using a round dish so that it won't look for a signal from sats B & C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts