DirecTivo HR10-250 Blowout!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
1 - i just gor a HR10-250 free ( i have the exact same programming as you ) all i had to pay was s/h

2-i called 4-5 times over two days. The first time i called the CSR wouldnt budge. the second time they went to $349.00 ( i hung up and called right back )

3- you will need a OTA antenna to get the locals in HI-DEF, ( to get the locals in HI-DEF you need to wait for the M-PEG4 HR20-250, which will come out later this year but the directv CSR told me the cost will be comparible to the HR10-250 when it first came out ( around $1000.00 ) )

P.S. you need to call the directv customer retention number - they have more authority than regular CSR's

Anyone know if I get this deal if DTV will send the HDtivo to my billing address instead of my service address? I cant get it shipped to my service address, if you know what I mean. Anyone have any experiance with this?

I just got off the blower w/ CT. Best deal I could get out of them was $199 for the HR10-250. I complained to them about getting poor reception EVERY time it rains, which is partly true....thunderstorms almost always guarantees me lost reception. I've had this problem from day 1 (DTV cust since Sept 2000). I guess I've learned to live with it. My only other option is crappy Patriot Media cable here in Hunterdon County, NJ. First try, though....I'll keep trying for a better deal...I hope you guys aren't jerkin' my chain w/ these "free" deals!

Strike 2!

Just tried again...different CSR...price jumped up to $399! WTF!!! She had a southern accent...probably doesn't like us "Yankees" up here in the Northeast...

The dunce also told me that I wouldn't be able to receive my HD locals w/ the HR10-250. I thought those of us in the NY market were able to get locals in HD with the HR10-250??!!

I'l try again tomorrow....hope the price doesn't jump to $499!!!

I was previously told that as part of getting the HR10-250, D* was going to replace my existing 3LNB dish with the 5LNB dish (in prepration for the upcoming upgrade to the HR20-250). During the installation, I was told that they wouldn't replace my dish until I actually had an HD-DVR that could receive HD locals; additionally, I was told if I did get the 5LNB dish and use it with the HR10-250 that I would actually lose the standard broadcost of my local channels. Does anyone know if that is that true? Can the 5LNB dish only be used for receiving HD locals and not standard locals?

wpbrob said:
I was previously told that as part of getting the HR10-250, D* was going to replace my existing 3LNB dish with the 5LNB dish (in prepration for the upcoming upgrade to the HR20-250). During the installation, I was told that they wouldn't replace my dish until I actually had an HD-DVR that could receive HD locals; additionally, I was told if I did get the 5LNB dish and use it with the HR10-250 that I would actually lose the standard broadcost of my local channels. Does anyone know if that is that true? Can the 5LNB dish only be used for receiving HD locals and not standard locals?

No, the 5LNB receives SD locals just the same. I have an HR10 and H20 hooked up to one.
Surprised they won't swap out your dish-- seems like they're doing everyone's everywhere. Are HD locals available via satellite in your area? If not, wait until they're available and call back. They should come right out and install it.

jguy said:
Anyone know if I get this deal if DTV will send the HDtivo to my billing address instead of my service address? I cant get it shipped to my service address, if you know what I mean. Anyone have any experiance with this?

I tried to get them to ship it to me but they won't. An installer has to physically bring it to your house. When he showed up, I just told him I'll do the install and he was more than happy to give it to me.
I don't know if it'll work for people who have 'moved'.

bigpro said:
No, the 5LNB receives SD locals just the same. I have an HR10 and H20 hooked up to one.
Surprised they won't swap out your dish-- seems like they're doing everyone's everywhere. Are HD locals available via satellite in your area? If not, wait until they're available and call back. They should come right out and install it.

bigpro,

HD locals are available in my area and I had my choice of upgrading the HD receiver to a new HD receiver to receive the local channels in HD, or go with the MPEG 2 HD DVR. I went with the MPEG 2 HD DVR (HR10-250 because the deal was great) and was told that I get the MPEG 4 HD DVR (HR20-250) when it becomes available so that I could have both the HD DVR functionality and HD locals.

So, is there any value if they upgrade my dish to the 5LNB while I have the HR10-250 DVR?

Thanks.

wpbrob said:
So, is there any value if they upgrade my dish to the 5LNB while I have the HR10-250 DVR?

Thanks.

Nope.

Nice to give a simple answer every once in a while :p

bp

I just tried twice and they won't budge off the $399 price PLUS shipping. I brought up the fact that some people were getting them for free or for just $99 and the guy told me that it was an "internet hoax". I'm SO TIRED of getting jerked around by DTV!!!!

johnml said:
1 - i just gor a HR10-250 free ( i have the exact same programming as you ) all i had to pay was s/h

2-i called 4-5 times over two days. The first time i called the CSR wouldnt budge. the second time they went to $349.00 ( i hung up and called right back )

3- you will need a OTA antenna to get the locals in HI-DEF, ( to get the locals in HI-DEF you need to wait for the M-PEG4 HR20-250, which will come out later this year but the directv CSR told me the cost will be comparible to the HR10-250 when it first came out ( around $1000.00 ) )

P.S. you need to call the directv customer retention number - they have more authority than regular CSR's

No Hoax - you have to keep trying - it took me a few calls before i got it. The first CSR would not budge either.. good luck

Remember you have to call the customer retention number

It took me a few calls. The first two offered at 199.00. The third CSR sounded clueless, as she was insisting on 299.00 and "maybe" 50.00 off if she talked to her supervisor, who wasn't around. He called me back a half hour later, with the following:
Pay 399.00
250.00 immediate account credit
10 months free HBO (which I currently subscribe to)
100.00 rebate
Guess it depends on finding a CSR who likes the sound of your voice....

Still no luck. I can't even get a reduced price. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON??? I think it is time to call the Florida Attorney General's office again about inconsistant business practices. D* can do whatever that they want, but when they start cherry picking their customers something is wrong. ESPECIALLY when they start turning away their good customers. I've been with them 12 years and upgraded several times, never been late and am on autopay. If I didn't have so much equipment I would tell them to just turn it off.

scotsmanron said:
Still no luck. I can't even get a reduced price. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON??? I think it is time to call the Florida Attorney General's office again about inconsistant business practices. D* can do whatever that they want, but when they start cherry picking their customers something is wrong. ESPECIALLY when they start turning away their good customers. I've been with them 12 years and upgraded several times, never been late and am on autopay. If I didn't have so much equipment I would tell them to just turn it off.

Scott, if you haven't tried already, I would lead with the fact that you've been with them for 12 years and on autopay and then just ask for the deal again -- say that you read about it online (that's what I did on my third try). I say in an eariler post where a CSR responded by calling this a hoax, but if that doesn't work on the "first" rep, then try calling back to get that deal.

I agree, it seems really odd that the CSRs seemingly offer/reject deals with no apparant consistently. I would think that a company this big would have some standards in place where their CSRs are provided with a couple of private deals that can be offered -- and that's it. After reading this thread, it is as if each CSR is a used car salesperson for a different lot of cars.

bigpro said:
I tried to get them to ship it to me but they won't. An installer has to physically bring it to your house. When he showed up, I just told him I'll do the install and he was more than happy to give it to me.
I don't know if it'll work for people who have 'moved'.

Has anyone gotten them to ship the receiver directly to them, with no interference what so ever from an installer?

"a CSR responded by calling this a hoax, but if that doesn't work on the "first" rep, then try calling back to get that deal"

you must be persistant and keep calling - i don't think anybody gets it on the first try..

johnml said:
you must be persistant and keep calling - i don't think anybody gets it on the first try..

Actually, I was lucky enough to get it on the first try.

Called for the first time yesterday. Spoke with customer retention CSR... very sweet girl. Mentioned that I had just gotten a new HD TV and told her a friend of mine called and was able to get the HD DVR for free and I wanted the same.

She checked my account and initially offered it to be for $150, and said it was the best she could personally do. I asked her if she could check with her supervisor and she put me on hold for a few minutes. She came back and told me she was cleared to give it to me free of charge provided I commit to 2 years (no brainer), and scheduled it for installation this Friday. She also mentioned that the new DVR is coming out this fall, and they would upgrade it for me upon release.

Although I didn't really threaten to cancel, I did say that the local cable company was offering me a free HD DVR (not true) but I wanted to stay with DTV if they could do the same.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw in who answers the phone when you call.

amixam said:
Actually, I was lucky enough to get it on the first try.

Called for the first time yesterday. Spoke with customer retention CSR... very sweet girl. Mentioned that I had just gotten a new HD TV and told her a friend of mine called and was able to get the HD DVR for free and I wanted the same.

She checked my account and initially offered it to be for $150, and said it was the best she could personally do. I asked her if she could check with her supervisor and she put me on hold for a few minutes. She came back and told me she was cleared to give it to me free of charge provided I commit to 2 years (no brainer), and scheduled it for installation this Friday. She also mentioned that the new DVR is coming out this fall, and they would upgrade it for me upon release.

Although I didn't really threaten to cancel, I did say that the local cable company was offering me a free HD DVR (not true) but I wanted to stay with DTV if they could do the same.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw in who answers the phone when you call.

I had the HR10-250 installed last Friday. When i asked about upgrading to the new HR20-250 the CSR told me the cost will be comparable to the HR10-250 when it first came out ( i think it was around $1000.00 ) he didn't even mention anything about a "discount " for existing HR!) subscribers. Keeping my fingers crossed though:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)