DirecTivo HR10-250 Blowout!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It took three calls, but I got the:

1) HR10-250,
2) swapout of my 3 LNB dish for the 5 LNB dish, and
3) superfan package too.

All for $19.95.

I was told that the dish swapout would get me ready for the new MPEG4 HD DVR that will be out later this year (announcement with date should occur in the next few weeks and also include a list of upcoming HD channels that will be added to the lineup). The rep also stated that when the MPEG4 DVR is released, I'll have the HR10-250 replaced at no cost since it is part of the lease program.

For the third call, I came straight out and asked about the free Tivo upgrade when ordering NFLST. I said that I read about it for the first time in the past few hours since my last call. The rep knew about it right away and stated that she was aware of the offer but that only a few current subscribers qualify. I then asked, "do I qualify?" Her was reponse was "yes". After a few minutes of going over the details, I said that I also read online that superfan is included in the deal and she said, "yes, I'll include that too."

I am truly amazed how speaking to three different people can dramatically affect the "current" offer. Over the course of three calls, the offer changed from $100 off current price (making it $399 instead of $499), to $299 with some $5 credits for six months, to $299 with $10 credits for six months, to $19.95 (for S&H) with new dish and SF package. Amazing.

Now that I have a Samsung TS360 that I don't need anymore, I'll find out what I can get for it on eBay. :)

Called the last few days trying to get one for free and not getting anything more than $100 off. Called this morning and still did not get it for free but did get $300 off of one, so $99 +$20 handling. Not a ST sub but signed up for that also with Superfan free.

Can you not cancel ST before the season starts? Not having had the ST or any other Premium sports pack not sure how that works.

Newbie question re' D* "retention"

pherrholz said:
I can kinda back that up, been a D* sub for 6+ years with ST and 5 recievers all Tivo including 1 HD Tivo ...I kept calling and this is what I got ....a HR10-250 for shipping and handling only ...thats right $20 ..yes its a lease but you know what for that kinda price..I WILL DO IT!!!!! Now I have 2 HD Tivos and I will wait a year for the bugs to get worked out of the HR20-250 and slowly swap out my units...BTW the first price I got was $499 followed by $199 then $0 ..just shipping and handling...

I am new to this forum but hear references to calling the "Retention" department to get unadvertised "deals". I am in a similar situation: Longtime D* customer, with HD service, Sunday Ticket, etc and also have Tivo. Rather than continue with 2 receivers (HD and Tivo) hooked to my HDTV, I would love to replace 2 for 1 and get a HR10-250 at little or no cost. The current advertised deal by D* for customers is $399.

QUESTION: Is there a special phone number for the retention department or just call the regular 800 number and ask for "retention" Do I need to make a credible claim that I am thinking of going cable on them? I think I might still have a month left on my "subcription" from a hardward update last year, but I did buy/own my HD receiver and TIVO. How hard will I have to beg to get the kind of deals you have brokered?

drameden said:
QUESTION: Is there a special phone number for the retention department or just call the regular 800 number and ask for "retention" Do I need to make a credible claim that I am thinking of going cable on them? I think I might still have a month left on my "subcription" from a hardward update last year, but I did buy/own my HD receiver and TIVO. How hard will I have to beg to get the kind of deals you have brokered?
800-824-9081

I didn't beg at all. I just called and said, "I know I don't qualify for the Sunday Ticket deal but I want an HD DVR - what can you do for me?" and they gave me the deal in message #80 of this thread. The only thing I asked for in addition to what they offered was to waive the $20 "handling fee".

Its correct that the TIVO HD DVRS do not work with the new dish? I must wait for the DTV version of the HD DVR

satjay said:
Its correct that the TIVO HD DVRS do not work with the new dish? I must wait for the DTV version of the HD DVR

jay-man, the Tivo HD DVRs don't get the locals in HD. Only with an antenna. I am going to wait for the new one too.

Proc said:
jay-man, the Tivo HD DVRs don't get the locals in HD. Only with an antenna. I am going to wait for the new one too.

Thanks.....Thats what I thought

My deal got sweeter, as I called back and told DirecTV that I decided to take advantage of the offer to me, I was fine with paying the $99 + handling. Towards the end of the call the CSR mentioned giving me a $399 instant rebate and all I would pay is the handling. :D Directv always makes me happy.

Gonna wait until I get the unit next Saturday and then cancel Sunday Ticket. Should be able to cancel onlline I am thinking. Maybe I'll have better luck calling/cancelling and get another one. Ha Ha!!!!

Last edited:
Proc said:

I don't know for sure but I would think it would not get the MPEG 4 locals. It should get the other locals. I live in NYC and am getting the box tomorrow and it better get the locals or it is going back.

I would be a new sub - a switchover from Comcast. Think they would offer this deal to me?

digideal said:
I would be a new sub - a switchover from Comcast. Think they would offer this deal to me?

No, but you do get an additional $100 rebate and some free programming. Plus we offer Satellite members an additional special offer.

-Robert

Success!

Wow - can't believe I got it to work!

New Subscriber, let CSR know that I heard there is a deal that when you sign up for the ST, you can get a free HD-DVR. She put me on hold for about 3 minutes, came back and said that she searched the website and did not see that deal. I informed her that my "friend" said he had to call and the CSR gave him the special. I told my CSR that this was the only reason I was holding out for D* was to get the DVR like my cable company has provided for me. She put me on hold again. Came back and said that she would be happy to give me a free DVR with my subscription to ST.

Got the Fathers day promotion, 6 mons free HD programming, 3 months of Total Choice at half price, one HD receiver, one HD DVR, install and 5 LNB dish for $99. I'm pretty happy about that.

Good luck to others.

I called yesterday and got the H10 Tivo DVR for $20 shipping/handling.
I know my locals aren't included in D* programming yet, so here is my question - does the H10 have the ability to act as an OTA receiver too, so I can get my locals via an antenna? (what kind of antenna?) My TV doesn't have a receiver, so that would be the only way I can get the locals in HD.

If I can get the locals that way, can I record them onto the DVR, or is that only going to work for D* content?

'Course, I didnt' think of these questions when I was on the phone yesterday afternoon.....;)

Congrats to everyong getting the "free" Tivo HD DVR's.

However, If you are getting them free, don't come back here and complain in 4-6 months when you don't get a "free" upgrade to the HR20. There is no way D* is going to give out the H10-250's free and then magically upgrade everyone to the HR20 for free.

CRendall said:
Yes, the HR10-250 has two OTA digital tuners so you can watch and record the local channels in HD.

Very cool! Any recommendations on a good antenna?

Rules of thumb. Outside, high, as big as you need and watch out for VHF versus UHF. Go to this site to type your address to see what kind you will need.

www.antennaweb.org

Check out some of the sponsors for antennas to purchase.

Also, you can couple the antenna feed with the Directv line with a combiner/splicer on each end. Saves having to run another line.

Brewer4 said:
Also, you can couple the antenna feed with the Directv line with a combiner/splicer on each end. Saves having to run another line.

Do you mean where the DTV line enters the house from the dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)