DirecTivo setup w/o TV!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spicyburrito

Apr 21, 2005
DirecTivo Activation w/o TV?

Sorry, I got another thread going on in the Directv DVR forums

n00b...

I'm getting DirecTV w/Tivo this weekend & I don't have a landline. After reading through the forums here I understand that the phone line is only needed during initial setup & during any subsequent software updates.

Now, for the initial setup, I know I can take it to any other landline & do it from there.

Here's my question:

I plan to take the Tivo unit to work & use the landline there for the setup. In my office, I don't have access to a TV to see onscreen menus of Tivo. Is there any way I can setup all dialing prefixes etc at home & then take the Tivo to office & just connect the telephone line to its back & leave it like for couple of hours? I can then take it home & connect to my TV & dish. And everytime I get a nag screen, take it to office, connect it to phone for few hours without connecting it to a TV.

I hope I'm clear enough on what my question is. I just want to know if I need to have access to a TV screen when it connects to a landline.

Thanks a bunch!

spicyburrito

Apr 21, 2005
Sorry, I posted a similar thread in the DirecTV general forum...

n00b...

I'm getting DirecTV w/Tivo this weekend & I don't have a landline. After reading through the forums here I understand that the phone line is only needed during initial setup & during any subsequent software updates.

Now, for the initial setup, I know I can take it to any other landline & do it from there.

Here's my question:

I plan to take the Tivo unit to work & use the landline there for the setup. In my office, I don't have access to a TV to see onscreen menus of Tivo. Is there any way I can setup all dialing prefixes etc at home & then take the Tivo to office & just connect the telephone line to its back & leave it like for couple of hours? I can then take it home & connect to my TV & dish. And everytime I get a nag screen, take it to office, connect it to phone for few hours without connecting it to a TV.

I hope I'm clear enough on what my question is. I just want to know if I need to have access to a TV screen when it connects to a landline.

Thanks a bunch!
Edit/Delete Message

Hogarth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2004
Somewhere, OK
Furthermore, make sure your office isn't using VoIP or any sort of PBX. You might have difficulty dialing out through it. (If that happens, find a dedicated FAX line and use it.)

A friend's or neighbor's house would be easier and more reliable.

camachinist

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2005
California
From my remembrances of setting up our R10 recently, I needed to see text to navigate the menus in the setup. However, I noticed, even if power was disconnected, the information I had selected/input in the setup process remained after the unit re-started. IIRC, while I was dx'ing some alignment issues, I had the unit outside with no phone line and was able to complete the setup process all the way to activation. Of course, I had our RV TV hooked up to it ;)

The only issue I can see, during setup, is when the unit attempts to call the 800 number to get local numbers for TiVo software/housekeeping updates. I recall our unit doing that during setup, before getting to the activation point. I don't know whether you can bypass that somehow and activate the unit, and then let it keep trying for a phone connection until you have it hooked to a landline. Once it starts trying, at least IME with ours, it keeps doing so, even if powered off and powered back on again.

Don't know whether this helps, but there you go... :)

Pat

dishrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Springfield, IL
Here's another thought - do you have a next door neighbor close to your house w/a landline? Just run a LONG phone cord over to his house & plug in & go through your setup. It should NOT create any long distance charges, but maybe a couple of local message units(?)

Once you get it setup & are on the most current software level, then disconnect & enjoy. You will get a nag screen, but just skip over it & go on about your business.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)