DIRECTV 11 - Launch now reported as March 9th - Update: Delivered to SeaLaunch (1/26)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep thats about what I remember too yet I though they said they would push to get it launched by Dec 07. (understanding that 1Q 2008 was the more likely scenario).

Charper,
It's just an oppertunity for someone to post something that looks like D* is falling behind again, although we all know that this is not true as it was reported quite a while ago.

Now that the current sat is delivering as desired with the exception of the locals, I think that when D11 goes up, I don't expect nearly as much press and posting when it does go up.

Jimbo

as it stands now, and this was confirmed to me yesterday evening, the thuraya 3 launch is now sked for mid-november (from mid-october). provided, this isn't delayed again and there are no problems, i'd be more inclined to believe a late january launch for directv 11. if it goes up sooner, that's great.

Well we know wher SkyReport gets its news. :)
DIRECTV-11 Delayed?
The second of DIRECTV's planned satellite launches for 2007 has reportedly been delayed until early next year. DIRECTV-11, the second satellite the company planned on launching this year for its high-definition expansion, has reportedly been bumped from its position in line of satellites waiting to be orbited from Sea Launch.

According to internet reports, Sea Launch Director of Communications Paula Korn confirmed that the launch services company has pushed the liftoff of DIRECTV-11 back to the first quarter of 2008. Korn reportedly sited a delay in the launch of the Thuraya-3 satellite to November as being the reason for DIRECTV-11's set back.

When asked by SkyREPORT about the reported delay, a DIRECTV spokesman said

DIRECTV-11 "is still scheduled for launch early next year - as we've said before."

DIRECTV-11 originally was scheduled for launch by Sea Launch in November of this year but was delayed by a satellite explosion in January that damaged the launch facility. Since the mishap, DIRECTV has said the launch of DIRECTV-11 would be sometime "early next year (2008)."

Neither Sea Launch nor Thuraya have made any comments on the reported delay.

that's pretty interesting they say sea launch hasn't commented. maybe, not in a news report but when your director of communications goes on record..........hmmm!

E* or D* ...Cant we all get along?

What does it matter, why do people have such ties to their TV providers. I was with D*, switched to E* a year ago for more HD on my bigscreen. E* had more HD for awhile before I switched.... D* just dragged their feet too long so I switched over. Now that I'm with E* I am satisfied with the channels and satisfied with the new channels they bring on. D* didn't have that in the past. Now that there is some competition again if E* drags their feet I will dial up D* and order an install. Who really cares, besides the insane, who they pay there bill too as long as they get to watch what they want. If you don't like what you have then switch. Too many people have a certain D* or E* remote so far up their as* to think clearly!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but sometimes you just have to say WTF.

Back to the topic any company launching another satellite is good news for all of us, no matter who you pay your money too. It's called competition (capitalism) and benefits anybody who enjoys the boob tube.

I'm pro-HDtv, E*,D*,Cable...whoever brings it! I am your biggest fan!
Relax and watch some "Sunrise Earth" It will reduce your stress and anti-corporate haggle.

Maybe it's good news for both Dish and Direct. I would guess it's nervous time for Sea Launch and returning to operations after the explosion.

The delay on Thuraya-3 is due to Boeing only shipping the sat to Sea Launch on October 4th. They couldn't launch on October 15th if they didn't have the bird.

What does it matter, why do people have such ties to their TV providers. I was with D*, switched to E* a year ago for more HD on my bigscreen. E* had more HD for awhile before I switched.... D* just dragged their feet too long so I switched over. Now that I'm with E* I am satisfied with the channels and satisfied with the new channels they bring on. D* didn't have that in the past. Now that there is some competition again if E* drags their feet I will dial up D* and order an install. Who really cares, besides the insane, who they pay there bill too as long as they get to watch what they want. If you don't like what you have then switch. Too many people have a certain D* or E* remote so far up their as* to think clearly!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but sometimes you just have to say WTF.

Back to the topic any company launching another satellite is good news for all of us, no matter who you pay your money too. It's called competition (capitalism) and benefits anybody who enjoys the boob tube.

I'm pro-HDtv, E*,D*,Cable...whoever brings it! I am your biggest fan!
Relax and watch some "Sunrise Earth" It will reduce your stress and anti-corporate haggle.

Who knows. But people act like their man hood shrinks 3 inches because someone nit picks something about their service provider. I think it comes down to people not wanting to feel stupid about their decision making and feel the need to justify it some how. People do tend to get pissy about it and its stupid.

It would appear that planned bandwidth will almost certainly be delayed. How that impacts their plans is not clear as their plans have not been formally announced.

Back a couple of months ago during a Charlie Chat - they talked about some plans that they intend to implement after launching those 2 new sats this year. Obviously those plans will be delayed. Check the Charlie Chat recaps for detailed info on what they said they intend to do.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/98760-charlie-chat-recap-june-11th-2007-a.html

Back a couple of months ago during a Charlie Chat - they talked about some plans that they intend to implement after launching those 2 new sats this year. Obviously those plans will be delayed.
This announcement of the planned launches and what the satellites would be used for was a little more than four months ago, but there was no time frame for delivery of this new service offered.

I would also dispute that information given out in a Charlie Chat should be taken as a formal announcement. Formal announcements usually come in the form of a press release.

In any event, whether due to launch vehicle problems or delays in satellite manufacturing, both companies will have to push some of their plans out a bit.

Latest FAA Quarterly Launch Report. Updated with pushback of Thuraya-3 to November and DIRECTV-11 to January.

No mention at all of EITHER AMC-14 or ECHOSTAR 11 launching by end March 2008.

Good info - but the launch schedules are the last 3 pages FYI.

Attachments

• 4Q2007_Quarterly_Report.pdf
    252.4 KB · Views: 98
Latest FAA Quarterly Launch Report. Updated with pushback of Thuraya-3 to November and DIRECTV-11 to January.

No mention at all of EITHER AMC-14 or ECHOSTAR 11 launching by end March 2008.

Good info - but the launch schedules are the last 3 pages FYI.

Thanks.

i'm sure once thuraya 3 is launched, a more definitive date for directv 11 will become available. remember, one hinges on the success of the other.

It goes without saying that the schedule in the FAA document is anticipating 'smooth sailing'.

In this case Thuraya-3 has already been delivered to Sea Launch, they are preparing it for early November launch - and with that in mind - the timeframe for D11 is EARLY January as it sits right now. Always subject to change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)