DirecTV 11 Satellite - Tracking & Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just captured both R and L[HCP] before siganl went off !

First picture shows LHCP, second RHCP spectrum around 300..700 MHz.

Attachments

• Photo_053108_001.jpg
    Photo_053108_001.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5,883
  • Photo_053108_002.jpg
    Photo_053108_002.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 5,858
Forgive me if this is too simple a question, but do those screen shots indicate the satellite "pinging" the ground station saying "hello"; or are those signals in the form of a TV/Audio stream?

Since I don't see any mention of it here, it was noticed that D11 had left it's testing location and instead of going to it's authorized operating location was drifting towards 101. Looks like buried in some FCC documents D* is going to do some testing with a special BSS payload that's on D11. For the folks that don't mind poking into DBS here's a link to that site that has where the FCC docs are at, http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1642751&postcount=3200

By the looks of these documents,they were written before the launch of D11, It doesn't sound like its a new plan. It was in the works before they even launched the satellite. That would be a good reason why D* claims D11 might not be operational untill September.

Rad, does this delay when we can expect the D11 to be fully up and running?
Unless something not forseen happens I don't think so. DirecTV's always said September or 3rd quarter as a go live date. It was just us folks on the net saying it can't take that long, it's going to be active in June or July, guess the D* folks were just sitting back and having a good laugh since they knew it wasn't going to happen.

Maybe somebody already answer this question but I could not find the answer.
Does somebody know what new HD channels will we get from this new satellite?

I, along with the rest of you, would like to see the new sat operational. Looking at it from a promotional - advertising "push" I thought maybe the 4th of July, but with the ongoing "testing" maybe Labor Day, or just after.

If they have any space at the moment I think they would add points by adding: Travel Channel, WGN, and ABCfam. DISH added these a couple of weeks ago when they dumped the 15 VOOM channels.

As for the new HD channels that may be added when D11 gets turned on...a month ago, or so, they were showing some BBCA stuff in HD on 101. A lot of you guys are following which channels are already HD, or going there soon, so feel free to chime in on expectations. Also, the Directv web site listed BET and Chiller as already being carried in HD, but I can't find anywhere else that indicates that Chiller even has an HD feed, yet. Also, some rumors about MSNBC as part of the upcoming Olympic coverage...don't know!

Everyone have a "safe and sane" 4th. ...at least we have something to look forward to, even if we have to wait for Labor Day!

I, along with the rest of you, would like to see the new sat operational. Looking at it from a promotional - advertising "push" I thought maybe the 4th of July, but with the ongoing "testing" maybe Labor Day, or just after.

With the experimental payload testing that D*'s doing with D11 at 101 for reverse BSS IMHO we won't be seeing anything from it on 7/4. If I had to guess I'd thing August would be a better date for the earliest we'd see something. I think we can bet on it being active by the time NFL regular season starts, they need somewhere to put all those MPEG4 games unless they decide to shut down a bunch of the MPEG2/Ku stuff and put it there as they have in the past.

Does this launch have any potential effect for offering local HD channels to markets that don't already have them?

Same here!!

1-8 show all zeros

9-16 show all zeros excpt for 2 transponders, they show NA.

All other transponders show NA.

good find folks. Didnt check this myself this weekend. I wonder if we might see something this wednesday.

You might see signals, but that would be too fast for actual programming. MAYBE next Wednesday.

see the frontpage, guys - Boeing has announced delivery.

VERY good news!
Yep, Direct is now officially in control of the bird...

Boeing: Boeing Delivers 4th High-Definition TV Satellite to DIRECTV

Boeing Delivers 4th High-Definition TV Satellite to DIRECTV

ST. LOUIS, July 21, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today announced that DIRECTV Inc. has taken on-orbit delivery of the DIRECTV 11 satellite, which will continue to expand DIRECTV's industry-leading lineup of high-definition television channels and services to millions of households in the United States.

Sea Launch launched DIRECTV 11 March 19 on a Sea Launch Zenit-3SL rocket from the launch services company's equatorial launch site in the Pacific Ocean. (Boeing is a 40 percent partner in Sea Launch.) The newest spacecraft in DIRECTV's fleet will begin transmitting additional national high-definition signals for the nation's leading satellite TV provider, and expand DIRECTV's HD platform to up to 150 national channels and local HD channels in well over 100 markets by this fall.

"The Boeing and DIRECTV teams worked together to ensure that this satellite and its systems are ready to begin broadcasting television programs in high definition into homes throughout the United States," said Craig Cooning, vice president and general manager of Boeing Space and Intelligence Systems. "The spacecraft was handed over eight days ahead of schedule, and we are pleased to have a role in assisting DIRECTV with the expansion of their service to customers."

DIRECTV 11 is the fourth Ka-band Boeing 702 satellite built for DIRECTV at Boeing's satellite manufacturing facility in El Segundo, Calif. The facility encompasses approximately 1 million square feet and is the largest state-of-the-art dedicated satellite factory in the world.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts