DirecTV 11 Satellite - Tracking & Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
1) I don't bother with those tracking sites - much better to rely on reliable sources from D* - trust me, they're watching it like a hawk :)

2) As for the time estimates and channels coming - think about it like a shareholder (or, better yet, an exec trying to sell to the shareholders). Assuming no other factors, you would not want to have to announce/dispel rumours of full birds (meaning the spaceways and D10). D* wanted a few cards on the table if D11 didn't materialize. D11's now up, so some of the reigns may come off.

Scobuck, stop it, you're making me think of things like 1TB hard drives for more capacity :)

Not a rocket surgeon here, but isn't the sat going o be in elliptical orbit for a while? So from time to time the altitude will show thousands of miles, and other times it will show tens-of-thousands of miles in altitude.

I also wouldn't worry until D* puts a press release saying that "if you live in Tuscon, take cover!!"

Now it's back in the pacific over New Guineau, moving at 6 mph and still dropping - now at 174 miles. By my calculations, if this is true, we should see the d11 in a few hours crashing into the pacific. I just don't think I should believe what I see on the web site. I'm sure by now there would have been press releases, emergency ops, ect... if the sat was truly coming down.

Bunch of BS if you ask me. Maybe a bunch of Dish supporters trying to create angst.

There is a thread at dbstalk about D11. It's very informative and up to date. They seem to be more technically oriented over there, whereas we have more fun!:)

Get a grip, folks...

A little refresher in "Rocket Science 101":

D*11 is NOT in geosynchronous orbit, yet. It's in a geosynchronous TRANSFER orbit. It's in an elliptical orbit on the equator, with a perigee (low point) altitude of about 155 miles and an apogee (high point) altitude of about 22,600 miles. If you look at the Sea Launch Mission page, you can see that the 155 mile altitude (250 km) was the insertion point altitude (ie. the end point of the last Block DM propulsion unit burn) At some time, as the satellite approaches it's apogee AND the desired latitude, the Block DM propulsion unit will be fired and will provide the "kick" needed to place it in geosynchronous orbit at that latitude and at an altitude of 22,600 miles. (The figures shown on the n2yo.com website are correct.)

Sincerely,
A former rocket scientist ;-)

A little refresher in "Rocket Science 101":

D*11 is NOT in geosynchronous orbit, yet. It's in a geosynchronous TRANSFER orbit. It's in an elliptical orbit on the equator, with a perigee (low point) altitude of about 155 miles and an apogee (high point) altitude of about 22,600 miles. If you look at the Sea Launch Mission page, you can see that the 155 mile altitude (250 km) was the insertion point altitude (ie. the end point of the last Block DM propulsion unit burn) At some time, as the satellite approaches it's apogee AND the desired latitude, the Block DM propulsion unit will be fired and will provide the "kick" needed to place it in geosynchronous orbit at that latitude and at an altitude of 22,600 miles. (The figures shown on the n2yo.com website are correct.)

Sincerely,
A former rocket scientist ;-)

Thank you for that lesson, good explanation on the variable numbers :)

We could always use some more rocket scientists around here :)

Transponders on 99B hot.

Just happened to do a signal strength test and as of 3:15 am EST I am getting transponder readings for sat 99. 1:95 2:42 3:94 4:43 5:66 6:0. Wonder what it all means.

Just happened to do a signal strength test and as of 3:15 am EST I am getting transponder readings for sat 99. 1:95 2:42 3:94 4:43 5:66 6:0. Wonder what it all means.
That's the existing Spaceway sat at 99°. D-11 will be joining it there once all testing is complete (just like D-10 and the other Spaceway sat are both at 103°).

FCC approves DirecTV's Satellite changes........
The FCC International Bureau’s Policy Branch granted DirecTV Enterprises request to relocate the Spaceway 2 satellite from 99.2 degrees West Longitude (WL) to 99.115 degrees WL and operate on Ka-band frequencies 18.3-18.8 GHz (downlink), 19.7-20.2 GHz (downlink), 28.35-28.60 GHz (uplink) and 29.25-30.00 GHz uplink). The FCC also granted DirecTV’s request to move DirecTV 11 from 99.200 degrees WL to 99.225 degrees WL and operate it at that location on Ka-band frequencies 18.3-18.8 GHz (downlink), 19.7-20.2 GHz (downlink), 28.35-28.60 GHz (uplink) and 29.25-30.00 GHz uplink). This information is from FCC Report SAT-00509.

there is actually a poster at dbstalk named directv 11.....someone who must work for boeing or directv, i imagine. anyhow, last post i recall reading the satellite posted was it would be operational april 30.

there is actually a poster at dbstalk named directv 11.....someone who must work for boeing or directv, i imagine. anyhow, last post i recall reading the satellite posted was it would be operational april 30.

Could not find that particular post but April 30 would be great! Everytime I go to that particular thread I come away impressed by the ongoing conversation between rocket scientists. Not that I understand most of it. :eek:

Anyone know when D* will be adding ESPNews - HD. I know ESPN launched ESPNews - HD this weekend, but so far it is not in HD on D*. On the D* website, it states they will add ESPNews, Disney and 2 other HD channels sometime later this year.

Anyone know when D* will be adding ESPNews - HD. I know ESPN launched ESPNews - HD this weekend, but so far it is not in HD on D*. On the D* website, it states they will add ESPNews, Disney and 2 other HD channels sometime later this year.

Likely tomorrow morning at 6AM eastern time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.