Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
DIRECTV Adds 23 More HD Channels

The new list includes five new basic cable networks.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (November 14, 2007) -- DIRECTV today added 23 new High-Definition channels, including five more basic cable networks in high-def.

By DIRECTV's count, today's additions gives the satcaster approximately 100 HD channels, its long-stated goal for the year.

The new HD channels added today include: Spike HD (channel 325); Country Music Television HD (channel 327); MTV HD (channel 331); VH1 HD (channel 335); and Nickelodeon HD (channel 299).

Those five channels are simulcasts of their standard-def lineups.

As of 6 a.m. this morning, Biography HD had not been added to the lineup, but it's now included in DIRECTV's new HD channel lineup at its web site.

However, Biography HD is not expected to launch until later this month. When it does, it will be on DIRECTV's channel 266.

In addition, DIRECTV added five new high-def PPV channels (in the channel 170s) and 13 new regional sports channels in HD. The regional sports additions are:

Comcast Sports Net New England (ch. 620-1)
FSN South HD (ch. 630-1)
SportsSouth HD (ch. 631-1)
FSN Florida HD (ch. 634-1)
FSN Ohio HD (ch. 637-1)
FSN Cincinnati HD (ch. 638-1)
FSN North HD (ch. 641-1)
Altitude HD (ch. 644-1)
FSN Rocky Mountain HD (ch. 645-1)
FSN Arizona HD (ch. 649-1)
FSN Northwest HD (ch. 651-1)
FSN Bay Area (ch. 654-1)

Like I said in another thread:

Charlie is a frickin' billionaire. He needs to invest in the company that we invest in every month. We want results NOW. D* just added more HD channels that I would watch and these are channels that E* does not have in HD. All of my TVs are HD so HD is mostly what I want to watch. If Dish does not get their a$$ in gear, I may have to jump the fence.

Im at work...so how do the pictures look on these channels? not as bad as TBS i hope

Charlie is a frickin' billionaire. He needs to invest in the company that we invest in every month. We want results NOW. D* just added more HD channels that I would watch and these are channels that E* does not have in HD. All of my TVs are HD so HD is mostly what I want to watch. If Dish does not get their a$$ in gear, I may have to jump the fence.

Charlie will probally add 24 more HDPPV channels (listed in the guide but nothing on them) and still claim he has the most National HD channels.:eek:

my wife watches cmt sd all the time and will love it in hd, i have been with dish since 1997 but this is the last straw, i am calling dtv today and cancelling dish, goodbye charlie! the churn rate is only going to get worse if you don't keep up with dtv.

Now, now. No need to panic. DISH just issued a press release reiterating that they ARE the HD leader: "After a careful recounting, our HD channel count is whatever DirecTV has +1," commented Charles Ergen.

DIRECTV Adds 23 More HD Channels

The new list includes five new basic cable networks.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (November 14, 2007) -- DIRECTV today added 23 new High-Definition channels, including five more basic cable networks in high-def.

By DIRECTV's count, today's additions gives the satcaster approximately 100 HD channels, its long-stated goal for the year.

The new HD channels added today include: Spike HD (channel 325); Country Music Television HD (channel 327); MTV HD (channel 331); VH1 HD (channel 335); and Nickelodeon HD (channel 299).

Those five channels are simulcasts of their standard-def lineups.

As of 6 a.m. this morning, Biography HD had not been added to the lineup, but it's now included in DIRECTV's new HD channel lineup at its web site.

However, Biography HD is not expected to launch until later this month. When it does, it will be on DIRECTV's channel 266.

In addition, DIRECTV added five new high-def PPV channels (in the channel 170s) and 13 new regional sports channels in HD. The regional sports additions are:

Comcast Sports Net New England (ch. 620-1)
FSN South HD (ch. 630-1)
SportsSouth HD (ch. 631-1)
FSN Florida HD (ch. 634-1)
FSN Ohio HD (ch. 637-1)
FSN Cincinnati HD (ch. 638-1)
FSN North HD (ch. 641-1)
Altitude HD (ch. 644-1)
FSN Rocky Mountain HD (ch. 645-1)
FSN Arizona HD (ch. 649-1)
FSN Northwest HD (ch. 651-1)
FSN Bay Area (ch. 654-1)

Also added are:

Sun Sports HD (ch. 632-1)

Sun Sports/Sports Channel Florida Alternate (ch. 635-1)

FSN Southwest Alternate (ch. 639-1)

FSN Wisconsin Alternate (ch. 642-1)

FSN Utah HD (ch. 646-1)

I just talked to a friend at MTV, it appears that DirecTV is just upconverting these channels. He says no real HD is planned for sometime on these channels.

I hope he is wrong.

I just talked to a friend at MTV, it appears that DirecTV is just upconverting these channels. He says no real HD is planned for sometime on these channels.

I hope he is wrong.

All 5 of the national channels added today are just SD upconverts, as far as I can tell. I couldn't find any HD programming anywhere in the near future on the programming guide.

All 5 of the national channels added today are just SD upconverts, as far as I can tell. I couldn't find any HD programming anywhere in the near future on the programming guide.
Which was and is still true of many of the channels that they added as far as the guide goes. The guide is not a good indicator of whats in or going to be in HD. It may take a week or two, but i feel sure that these new ones, just like most of the old will start filling the time with HD

I hope he is wrong.

I hope so also... seems like they would have some, since some of the shows on MHD are actually MTV/VH1/CMT shows that are on that channel (I think). We'll see, I guess....

If nothing else, at least the SD looks light years better than it did and it's not being stretched.

ALL HD content from MTV, VH1 and CMT will be shown on MHD. Again I am being told there are no plans for ANY true HD content on the stand alone MTV, VH1 and CMT HD channels. The only thing we are seeing is an upconvert from DirecTV.

Also no word on any HD programming this year from NICK or SpikeTV.

I would LOVE for this information to be wrong but it is what I am hearing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)