DIRECTV Adds New HD Channels for Fall

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Anyone know if WGN will be broadcast nationwide in HD. They are an HD in chicago. Would love to see those cubs in HD.

Funny you should ask that. Just yesterday I sent an e-mail to an contact that I have at WGN asking when they would be able to provide a HD signal on the Superstation side of the station. They still have a bunch of internal work to do to support a digital stream for the Superstation but they're getting there. They hope to have that work done by early/mid 2008. Once they're done it would be up D* and E* to take the feed, assuming they have agreements in place.

That would be Awesome !!!
Only problem is , NO ONE would know where to find them, seeing they would either have to place them elswhere or as a .1 type of channel

Jimbo

You know...they could be there right now and we don't know it! :eureka We all better go home and scan through the channels tonite and see. :D

New HD's for free?

All of this sounds great, but to think that all of these added HD channels will all be offered for free?? Launching a new Sat can't be cheap. And I'm sure that each HD channel version has higher costs that are going to eventually get passed down to consumers. I wouldn't be surprised to see some additional rate increase somewhere ahead soon. It just seems too good to be true. I just hope that all of these HD's won't make the HD rate too high. I'm already at a $100 per month for everything.

I read that AT&T may drop either Dish or Direct soon. Maybe John Malone has something else up his sleeves as well.

On a related note, why are people with hd sets going to pay the same amount for hbo or showtime as starz, when starz will apparantly have 5 times the number of hd channels?

You bitch about everything dont ya. Because HBO has exclusive programming that Starz doesnt.

Sex in the City, Sopranos, Big Love, Deadwood etc. All shows that were available on HBO and not other channels.

Do you have anyone brain teasers I can help ya with?

You bitch about everything dont ya. Because HBO has exclusive programming that Starz doesnt.

Sex in the City, Sopranos, Big Love, Deadwood etc. All shows that were available on HBO and not other channels.

Do you have anyone brain teasers I can help ya with?

Right on man. He's pathetic really. His sole purpose is to piss people off.

All of this sounds great, but to think that all of these added HD channels will all be offered for free?? Launching a new Sat can't be cheap. And I'm sure that each HD channel version has higher costs that are going to eventually get passed down to consumers. I wouldn't be surprised to see some additional rate increase somewhere ahead soon. It just seems too good to be true. I just hope that all of these HD's won't make the HD rate too high. I'm already at a $100 per month for everything.

I read that AT&T may drop either Dish or Direct soon. Maybe John Malone has something else up his sleeves as well.

As far as I am concerned, I have been paying monthly for those sats since I started my HD programming, I've paid 10-11 dollars a month now for what 5-9 channels depending on your programming choices , so I have been donating towards that for quite some time, as have most of us.
$2. p/ channels is what it currently is costing if you go by what is currently on, at that rate, the HD alone would be outragous.

Therefore I do not see them raising any HD pricing until at least March of '08, of course thats when the normal price increase always happens anyways.

At least the adll. channels would make a price increase a bit more understandable.

As for the AT&T issue, It looks like they may try to aquire one or the other and drop the other.
I have posted alot about how I feel about this in other threads.
Basically I see D* doing alot more to move forward than DISH at least at this time, so it would make more sense to allow D* to get this project completed and stabilized before they attempt to buy one ot the other.

AT&T really doesn't ned to be involved with both companies as that would not be a wise finantial move on thier part, unless they were going to buy both and merge, but that has not been mentioned anywhere I have seen, and the FCC would more than likely Highly object.

Previously I have mentioned that I thought they would buy D* will at least the steps for that to be being taken by the end of '08.

Mr. Malone has a history of buying companies and then selling them when the time presents itself with a good profit. As anyone would !

This is "ONLY MY OPINION"

Jimbo

Last edited:
On a related note, why are people with hd sets going to pay the same amount for hbo or showtime as starz, when starz will apparantly have 5 times the number of hd channels?

Maybe people like HBO Cineimax and Showtime. Just because they don't have 4 HD channels,doesn't mean there's nothing on them.Its just like saying why would someone with HD tv pay for Fios,When Directv will have 3 times more HD channels?

Maybe people like HBO Cineimax and Showtime. Just because they don't have 4 HD channels,doesn't mean there's nothing on them.Its just like saying why would someone with HD tv pay for Fios,When Directv will have 3 times more HD channels?

Well I thought of that but nearly the shows mentioned on HBO are canceled or over or will be by the time any new channels are offered. Boxing would be the only reason I might decide to keep showtime or hbo. Unless the lineups on starz are truly awful, I don't see the value in it otherwise though, unless you are not an hd junkie of course. Still, I don't see how the average person could stand watching movies in sd when they have seen them in hd.

And while directv is relying on rocket science, verizon is adding to its service every week. My sources indicate they will be on pace with directv even if all the hd proposed channels actually go live when they are supposed to, with of course far superior picture quality.

And while directv is relying on rocket science, verizon is adding to its service every week. My sources indicate they will be on pace with directv even if all the hd proposed channels actually go live when they are supposed to, with of course far superior picture quality.

Do you have any links to back the :
My sources indicate they will be on pace with directv even if all the hd proposed channels actually go live when they are supposed to .....

What kind of startiling changes has E* done ? Have they rented more sat space from another struggling sat operator.
Theyu have a sat that will be going up, but they too have to wait , just like D* has.

You metioned "Rocket Science", well Yes it actually is rocket science this time that will get the sats up into space ...:)

Jimbo

As for FiOS. FiOS is nervous. Right now they are scrambling because cities and towns are holding them up at gunpoint.

I met someone a couple weeks ago who was intimate with FiOS TV. He was actually an employee of Verizon and was at some kind of conference about it.

Personally I think the technology is great. But he was saying its taking too long to distribute to customers. He said that comcast is hammering Verizon with their ability to offer phone, tv and internet and until FiOS is able to bundle those three together they will be getting killed by Comcast.

The other issue FiOS has is VOD. There are issues with FiOS VOD. I believe it has to do with Verizon not having the bandwidth and were looking to get access to customers creatively.

Anyway...

Their main issue is being held up with installing the service because they have to negotiate with each city and town and it seems to take a whole year for them to get the contracts done.

So until FiOS is can compete in availability who cares what they have until people can watch it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts