DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dish doesnt carry Sunday Ticket or as many HD sports channels, and I dont think they carry as many HD PPV channels either. Plus from what I hear they run lower bitrate HD than directv, so they can fit more channels.

Plus on the contract side, if Dish didnt get a sweetheart deal on the Liberty/Directv aligned Starz/Encore package, they'd scream about it to the feds. So they probably give them the same sort of pricing that directv pays.

Yes directv has Starz on demand but since it isnt HD its like not really even having it at all.

That is part of the trade off I guess of not having cable TV and satellite relying on your Internet connection for V.O.D, which is often cable Internet but certainly doesn't have bandwidth allocated to it like cable companies would to V.O.D on their network.

You can probably thank John Doe with his 1down/512up DSL connection for little or no HD VOD. My 20down/2up can certainly handle it but many people with satellite have satellite because they live where they cannot get cable. Imagine being in Wyoming with a crappy DSL. HD VOD just isn't practical.

Believe me...downloading SD VOD on a 1.5MB download DSL isnt the best...

its about 20 minutes for a typical 1/2 hour show

Whats Funny is D* still doesn't carry Starz Cinema,Retro Plex,Indiplex,Movie Plex
Funny how a company that owns D* and Starz still doesn't have all the Starz Premiums in their D* service.

But Dishnetwork Has all of them Starz/ Encore but Movie Plex.

Whats wrong with that picture?

I seem to remember (and my memory isn't very good) that you did have both services for a while. Why did you choose DirecTv?

I don't fault them for not delivering all the channels in May. They saw an opportunity to fix a problem with one of their satellites and took it. According to satelliteracer we would've gotten all of them (except Gol TV) in May if not for the fix.

Now if they don't deliver them after D10 is fixed, back in position and has all of it's programming back on it, then I say give D* hell with both barrels. But it now appears 6/23 is day we get more HD.

I don't fault them for not delivering all the channels in May. They saw an opportunity to fix a problem with one of their satellites and took it. According to satelliteracer we would've gotten all of them (except Gol TV) in May if not for the fix.

Now if they don't deliver them after D10 is fixed, back in position and has all of it's programming back on it, then I say give D* hell with both barrels. But it now appears 6/23 is day we get more HD.
Seems quite reasonable.

Rolling out new HD channels in buches is nothing new - both DirecTV and Dish do it.

June 23rd will see double digit additions, and more thereafter.

Its all good.

Sorry but everyone was quick including myself to rip apart E* claim of 200 HD channels.
But they can still back up their claim no matter what we think of the list.

Well Here D* is again claiming , "We will have BS" And guess what , still don't have.

Well D* is spouting off claims of "To Tell the Truth"
While they are flashing around a" Future" capacity claim.
And Putting Channels in their line up they don't even have.

E* might as well Claim "Starting in June we will have 300 HD channels"

D* Will have declining Subscribers in the 3rd quarter. Thats for sure!;)

D10 sure , lets get it fixed, But what I can't understand, is why didn't they do it when D11 was sitting there?

NFL ST in HD was More important I guess.:rolleyes:

Just so everyone is aware of why I'm getting frustrated,
Is Simply because soon my promos are done.
I'm looking at $135 per month for what I want to keep.
Thats Fine

But I got the MLB EI* Promo Credit run around for 45 days, I was Supposted to get MRV installed for Free, Nope not going to happend now.
So Right now I don't have the equipment I want, Nor can I get it without Fronting more money for Either another HD DVR or MRV.
Plus MRV is another $3 per month.

Sorry I'm just getting Upset with what I'm starting to see.

HD PQ ,VOD,Interactive features and Free MLB EI is whats keeping me here.
And my 24 month contract.

Just so everyone is aware of why I'm getting frustrated,
Is Simply because soon my promos are done.
I'm looking at $135 per month for what I want to keep.
Thats Fine

But I got the MLB EI* Promo Credit run around for 45 days, I was Supposted to get MRV installed for Free, Nope not going to happend now.
So Right now I don't have the equipment I want, Nor can I get it without Fronting more money for Either another HD DVR or MRV.
Plus MRV is another $3 per month.

Sorry I'm just getting Upset with what I'm starting to see.

HD PQ ,VOD,Interactive features and Free MLB EI is whats keeping me here.
And my 24 month contract.

Don't you remember all the times DISH Net. nickel and dimed you to death.
Often D* gets thier ideas from DSIH (leasing)

Sorry but everyone was quick including myself to rip apart E* claim of 200 HD channels.
But they can still back up their claim no matter what we think of the list.

Well Here D* is again claiming , "We will have BS" And guess what , still don't have.

Well D* is spouting off claims of "To Tell the Truth"
While they are flashing around a" Future" capacity claim.
And Putting Channels in their line up they don't even have.

E* might as well Claim "Starting in June we will have 300 HD channels"

D10 sure , lets get it fixed, But what I can't understand, is why didn't they do it when D11 was sitting there?

NFL ST in HD was More important I guess.:rolleyes:

I agree that both companies have played fast and loose with the facts regarding the number of hd channels they have, or will have, but you specifically called Directv out in your post I responded to for not having the new channels in May that you claim they said they would. You know quite well why, and that in the long run, it is for a very good reason. Your reply borders on FUD, worthy of the basset hound. You are much better than that Hemi!

I disagree. While I think it will be another quarter of low additions I don't think it will be a negative number. But I could be wrong. It would be the first time (today). :D

That's a good question. The only thing I can come up with is that whatever the solution was, it was something that they came up with after D11 was already in use and full of stuff. D11 was lit up in July so there would've been time to use D11 for the fix before the NFL ST started (September).

Don't you remember all the times DISH Net. nickel and dimed you to death.
Often D* gets thier ideas from DSIH (leasing)
Which is exactly why I refuse to Upgrade and sign a commitment with E*

And your last statement is starting to feel true.
I think D* is watching E* to close, and the Nickle and dime'ing is starting.
Only difference is D* been Charging more then E* for just about every Base pack and Premium Channel offering for years, While carrying more Premiums then D*.
What Exactly are we paying for is the Question I ask myself.

D* doesn't have nearly the massive lawsuits as E*.

So what is it , YES Network?? MLB EI, NFL ST???

Directv MRV $3 Fee is a joke too, Because you might as well just get an HD DVR..
I can Get another HD DVR From D( for $99 or Pay D* $150 and get MRV? Let me think now??:rolleyes:

I can get an HR24 for less then $200.

Last edited:
I disagree. While I think it will be another quarter of low additions I don't think it will be a negative number. But I could be wrong. It would be the first time (today). :D

D11 was lit up in July so there would've been time to use D11 for the fix before the NFL ST started (September).

We don't know that.:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)