DirecTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive HD Locals!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I will be all over the board long before it goes live and then again when live. DMA #141 is down there a bit, so I can't see it any earlier than the end of 2006, if then.

Last edited:
DirecAnnapolis said:
Baltimore locals have finally arrived!:)

Yup, all four, even though my installer told me ABC wasn't going to be uplinked.

A LOT of pixelation while watching Lost. Other people have this problem that have been uplinked for awhile, or is it just because this is new and they haven't worked out all the kinks?

9 DMA's today...possible 13 more later in year....36 total so far...
-----------------------------
9 more L-I-L DMA's added by D* today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brings total to 36 so far(maybe 13 more by year's end) all have the four big
nets, unless otherwise noted..as usual, you need the H20 MPEG4 receiver, and
the AT-9 Dish to view them...
Orlando
Raleigh-Durham (not CBS,FOX)
Miami/Ft. Laud
Hartford (not ABC,FOX)
Denver
Charlotte(not CBS)
Cleveland(not CBS)
Baltimore
West Palm Bch(not CBS,FOX)

Perhaps its the station owners. In some cases, station groups specialize in one or two affiliates... they may own mostly CBS or FOX affiliated stations.

One second here...Miami/Fort Lauderdale is up? I have HD locals in Fort Lauderdale, but I'm not sure I'm getting the broadcasts in HD, because they sure don't seem like HD quality. There are two channels for each local: a supposed HD and a regular. I'm not seeing much difference, if any. Are they really up? Is this the best it's going to get?

DIRECTV Activates HD Local Channel Service in Miami, Florida; Local Channels in HD Have More Vivid Colors, Wider Images and Clearer, Crisper High-resolution Digital-quality Pictures
--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DIRECTV, Inc.:

WHAT: DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television
service provider, is now offering local HD programming via
satellite to customers in the Miami DMA. The following local
TV channels are available: WPLG/ABC, WFOR/CBS, WSVN/FOX and
WTVJ/NBC.

DIRECTV's roll out of local HD channels in Miami is part of
a nationwide expansion of HD programming that will culminate
in 2007, when DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more
than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD
channels, establishing DIRECTV as a leading provider of HD
programming. DIRECTV customers today have access to more
than 900 hours of HD programming each week, as well as
hundreds of hours of special event, movie and sports
coverage.

With the addition of Miami, DIRECTV offers local HD
broadcast channels in 36 cities with plans to launch in an
additional 13 cities later this year, offering access to
DIRECTV-delivered local HD channels in more than 65 percent
of U.S. television households.

WHEN: Beginning today, Wednesday, June 28, 2006

HOW: Customers who subscribe to a programming package that
includes local channels receive both the standard and HD
signals at no extra monthly charge. Miami customers can
receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD
receiver and satellite dish. Existing HD customers can
upgrade their HD receiver and dish for $99 per receiver. New
residential customers can take advantage of a $100 Advanced
Product Rebate. Receiving equipment is available at major
consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy or Circuit
City, and through DIRECTV.

Well, things are certainly looking better now. Leno and Letterman are both obviously in very nice HD. But the prime-time programs on ABC, NBC and CBS seemed to be lacking. I wonder why?

Well with reruns in full effect for PT shows are you sure they were being sent in HD? Not all affiliate programming is in HD and neither is the PT sched. Just a guess.

No, I'm not sure, but on the HD national program guide (the one that's in the 80s or 90s, I believe), many shows were listed as HD but didn't seem to be airing in HD. I don't know. I'll just play it by ear (eye?). Besides, I've learned to expect as little as possible from DTV. I'm just glad the rest of the World Cup games will be in HD.

Don't think so, but just thought I would post it since some people have been asking when they go live, and I had not seen it posted yet, but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first and probably won't be the last).

DIRECTV Adds Nine More Local HD Markets; Now Offers Access to Local HD Programming in 36 Markets Representing 57 percent of U.S. TV Homes
HD Local Channel Service Activated Today in Baltimore, Cleveland, Charlotte, N.C., Denver, Hartford, Conn., Miami, Orlando, Fla., Raleigh, N.C., and West Palm Beach, Fla.

WHAT: DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, is now offering local HD programming via satellite to customers in the Baltimore, Cleveland, Charlotte, N.C., Denver, Hartford, Conn., Miami, Orlando, Fla., Raleigh, N.C., and West Palm Beach, Fla., DMAs.

With the addition of these nine markets, DIRECTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 36 cities with plans to launch in an additional 13 cities later this year, offering access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD channels in more than 65 percent of U.S. television households.

DIRECTV's roll out of local HD channels in Charlotte is part of a nationwide expansion of HD programming that will culminate in 2007, when DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels, establishing DIRECTV as a leading provider of HD programming.

WHEN: Beginning Wednesday, June 28, 2006
HOW: Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge. Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD receiver and satellite dish. Existing HD customers can upgrade their HD receiver and dish for $99 per receiver. New residential customers can take advantage of a $100 Advanced Product Rebate. Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy or Circuit City, and through DIRECTV.

Robert Mercer
310-964-4683
PainePR for DIRECTV
Danielle Kowalski
212-613-4912

Eligibility for local channels is based on service address within certain designated market areas as defined by Nielsen Media Research, Inc. Visit DIRECTV.com for more information.

9 HD Channels being added for D* This Summer

I talked to a lady representative today who talked really cheesy on the phone telling me all this stuff I already knew except that D* was adding 9 HD channels this summer on satellites 99 and 103. Also, D* would be adding 13 more in the fall. I will believe it when I see it. The thing is D* really needs to step up because Dish, Verizon FIOS, and the cable companies have been adding all these HD channels and D* has been lagging behind. So it could be true what this lady rep told me today.

Yeah, all I saw was post #168 about the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale locals only. I didn't see the full D* release posted anywhere, but no big deal if it already was.

So a total of 22 new HD channels.

Taking V* off the table as CC basically said there was not much to see there (his comments, not mine), are there 22 more HD channels D* could add?

Now she could be talking about the NFL channels which would number 9 on any Sunday (6 FOX, 3 CBS).

OTOH, are there 22 more announced markets that haven't been lit up yet?

Now with that said, I think I remember someone in the know saying that the last announced markets were it for the rest of the year. Given that D* is only providing the big 4 plus maybe an RSN to each market, the Spaceways have much more capacity than the announced markets.

So maybe D* found an efficient way to provide some CONUS coverage with the Spaceways. Maybe E* adding the new channels is putting pressure on them and making them change plans. After all, it is hard to convince a new sub in a Top 36 market to come to D* when E* provides 1) more HD and 2) and DVR that can record HD LIL. (Huge IMHO).

And then there is the speculation that the LA feeds will be shut off which will free up space for A) more HD channels or B) better HD PQ. Now we know which one D* will take. Oh wait, I for got C)Neither A or B, but add some more shopping channels and interactive dating.:p

I do think D* needs to do something. It is easy for current subs, and I am one, to say "wait and see where we are in a year." I know things will get better, and I'm not going anywhere because of NFLST and my HD TiVo's. But a new sub who has never seen a message board will look and E* looks better on paper TODAY. There are a lot of subs that can be lost between now and late 2007.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts